Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone have trouble sleeping after WLS?

I used to have no trouble sleeping, I'd be in bed early and if I got up in the middle of the night I'd go back to sleep. Since WLS I'm having trouble falling asleep and trouble staying asleep - despite being VERY tired. I'm guessing its hormones from the rapid weight loss or similar, but wondering if other folks saw anything similar? I have 2 young kids, so lack of sleep when I can get it wreaks havoc because there is no time to catch up

I did for about two weeks after surgery. But the plus side...is that all those extra hours awake made it easier to reach fluid goals. Glass half full, so to speak:) LOL

Yes, big time, I went around 2 weeks with 2 hr sleep a night even though I was totally exhausted. I tried sleepy teas, melatonin and nothing worked, finally broke down and went to the doctor for a prescription sleep aid as I could not function at all.

Yes, for about 2 weeks. The surgery (anesthesia) and the healing took its toll on my entire system.

7 hours ago, Claudiarb said:

Yes, big time, I went around 2 weeks with 2 hr sleep a night even though I was totally exhausted. I tried sleepy teas, melatonin and nothing worked, finally broke down and went to the doctor for a prescription sleep aid as I could not function at all.

Do you still take a sleep aid, or did it get better on its own? I tried Melatonin with no effect, Benadryl works but is crappy sleep. I imagine the hormones or whatever are out of whack. Pretty annoying!

On 1/16/2018 at 7:43 PM, Losebig said:

Do you still take a sleep aid, or did it get better on its own? I tried Melatonin with no effect, Benadryl works but is crappy sleep. I imagine the hormones or whatever are out of whack. Pretty annoying!

Yeah, Im still taking it. It's actually an antidepressant that helps with sleeping & anxiety. It's called Amitriptyline. Dr prescribed me 50 mg at night but that knocked me out for almost a day and 1/2. So I break it in half. I have never taken an antidepressant before but I get absolutely no side effects from it except for getting super sleepy. So far it has worked great so will continue with it for a while.

3 hours ago, Claudiarb said:

Yeah, Im still taking it. It's actually an antidepressant that helps with sleeping & anxiety. It's called Amitriptyline. Dr prescribed me 50 mg at night but that knocked me out for almost a day and 1/2. So I break it in half. I have never taken an antidepressant before but I get absolutely no side effects from it except for getting super sleepy. So far it has worked great so will continue with it for a while.

Thanks. I've had a couple decent nights of sleep, I've been having some sleepy time tea a bit before bed and trying to be more mellow. I see the DR next week so will mention and see if they suggest anything. I think part of it is I'm trying to catch up at the end of the day on Protein so I eat a bunch an hour or so before bed and then have a big boost of energy.. so trying to cut that out too and balance a little better in the day.

It's hard to say because I didn't go to work for almost two weeks and wasn't engaging in good sleep discipline during those two weeks, but I did have a lot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep my first week back to work. Things are mostly fine now, though.

Yes, had a horrible time the first few weeks. My prolonged hospital stay jacked my sleep schedule up something fierce. I basically went 6 days without ever being able to sleep for more than 2 hours straight. Once I was back home I'd wake up about 2 a.m. and then be awake for the rest of the night. I never took anything for it and eventually my sleep cycle got back to normal.

On 1/16/2018 at 7:04 AM, Losebig said:

I used to have no trouble sleeping, I'd be in bed early and if I got up in the middle of the night I'd go back to sleep. Since WLS I'm having trouble falling asleep and trouble staying asleep - despite being VERY tired. I'm guessing its hormones from the rapid weight loss or similar, but wondering if other folks saw anything similar? I have 2 young kids, so lack of sleep when I can get it wreaks havoc because there is no time to catch up

I had my surgery 12/21 and had trouble sleeping. After the holiday break I had to return to mommy duties 1/4. Getting up at 5:30 am and dealing with 4 children because my fiancé worked overtime since I had to take off killed me.

35 minutes ago, orionburn said:

Yes, had a horrible time the first few weeks. My prolonged hospital stay jacked my sleep schedule up something fierce. I basically went 6 days without ever being able to sleep for more than 2 hours straight. Once I was back home I'd wake up about 2 a.m. and then be awake for the rest of the night. I never took anything for it and eventually my sleep cycle got back to normal.

I was only in the hospital for a little over 24 hours and barely slept that night. I went home, slept for 16 hours, and was back to normal. It was more the following 2 weeks of sleeping as much as I wanted at night and napping during the day that did not prepare me for sleep discipline when I went back to work.

Yes, I had surgery on October 9th and I still don't sleep and I take sleep aids and that doesn't work either I hate it.

Sorry to hear that. Did your DR have any ideas? I've been sleeping better the last few days, mostly due to exercise I think. Going to see what my DR suggests this week. Nothing worse than not being able to sleep.