Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op, sugar crashing

My sugar is crashing and it's not dumping. I'm strictly following my diet but no carbs and no sugar is lowering my sugar. I'm having shakes, sweats, anxiety and seeing double. Had this problem pre surgery if I had no carbs or sugar. What should I do

You should have your liver checked out....because even if you're taking in absolutely no carbs or sugars....your liver has the ability to create all the sugar you need from fats and Proteins through a process called gluconeogenesis.

When you say your "sugar is crashing" can you put a blood glucose number on that? Or are you guessing that's the problem because of how uneasy you feel?

If your liver is normal...consider that this might be a panic disorder, and that you're having an emotional reaction to the diet.

Taking your blood sugar regularly and consulting your doctor would be a good place to start.

My sugar is crashing and it's not dumping. I'm strictly following my diet but no carbs and no sugar is lowering my sugar. I'm having shakes, sweats, anxiety and seeing double. Had this problem pre surgery if I had no carbs or sugar. What should I do

You might want to make an appointment with your Dr. Let the professionals diagnose what is going on and how to treat it.
Do you have a glucose meter to test your blood sugar levels?

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I did check it, it was 63. I drank more apple juice and feel million times better. My one week follow up is Thursday so I'll discuss it with him then. Thanks !

I know 60's doesn't sound terribly low but for me it is. I've had over 60 grams of Protein today, Water, chicken broth and sugar-free popsicles. However, I had the Protein Shakes early in the day. Maybe I need to start drinking one in the evening as well. Thanks!

I had the same problem straight after surgery,for the first couple of day. The nurses kept taking my blood sugar levels and I had to drink apple juice and glucose Water to correct the low levels. My surgeon wasn't too concerned and it sorted it self out once I started on shakes and other liquids.

10 hours ago, ConnieJJ55 said:

I know 60's doesn't sound terribly low but for me it is. I've had over 60 grams of Protein today, Water, chicken broth and sugar-free popsicles. However, I had the Protein Shakes early in the day. Maybe I need to start drinking one in the evening as well. Thanks!

Glad you have a meter to monitor what's going on.

I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. (complication from surgery) I worked with my bariatric, sports medicine and diabetes dietitians to get better control over my blood sugars.

Here is an article: If you are diagnosed, Work with your team to find what foods and meal frequency work for your body specifically.

June 2015 Issue

CPE Monthly: Nutrition Tips for Reactive Hypoglycemia After Bariatric Surgery

Reactive hypoglycemia (also called postprandial hypoglycemia, hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia, or noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia) is characterized by recurrent episodes of symptomatic hypoglycemia occurring two to four hours after a high-carbohydrate meal (or oral glucose load).

Patients who have undergone bariatric surgery, especially those in whom the pylorus is bypassed (gastric bypass, biliopancreatic diversion/duodenal switch), may experience reactive hypoglycemia. The dietitian is key to helping these patients manage symptoms.

Symptoms
Patients may experience any of these symptoms one to three hours after a meal high in carbohydrates: hunger, feeling shaky, dizziness, sleepiness, sweating, anxiety, feeling weak, confusion, heart palpitations, fatigue, aggression, tremors, fainting, or loss of consciousness.

Dietary Modifications
Work with your patients to help them identify and eliminate from their diets simple sugars, concentrated sweets, high-fat foods, alcohol, caffeine, and lactose (possibly). They also should avoid skipping meals or consuming meals comprised only of carbohydrates.

Focus on how you can help patients modify their diets, including the following:

• plan mini meals spaced equally throughout the day (three to four hours);
  • make low-volume choices;
  • consume high-protein levels at each eating occasion, pairing Protein choices with complex carbohydrates, fruits, and vegetables;
  • choose healthful fats; and
  • separate food and Fluid intake by 30 to 60 minutes.

Soluble Fiber from guar gum, glucomannan, and pectin and alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, (eg, acarbose) or somatostatin analogs (eg, octreotide) can help delay gastric emptying, increase small intestine transit time, and slow glucose absorption.

Patient-Specific Tips
Acknowledge that everyone may have different triggers for low blood sugar or reactive hypoglycemia. Advise patients to keep detailed food journals that you can review to identify patterns (eg, timing and amount eaten as Snacks, meals, and drinks; blood sugar levels; feelings).

Encourage patients not to use foods or drinks with added sugar to boost low blood sugar levels, as this can cause blood sugar crashes and spikes.

Thanks for the article. I was looking at the papers grime the dietitian and it says I should be getting 100 carbs a day. But I can basically only have shakes so I'm getting less than 2 carbs. I'm sure that's where my problem is. Before surgery I reacted the same way when I went no sugar and minimal carbs. I'm feeling good today.

1 hour ago, ConnieJJ55 said:

Thanks for the article. I was looking at the papers grime the dietitian and it says I should be getting 100 carbs a day. But I can basically only have shakes so I'm getting less than 2 carbs. I'm sure that's where my problem is. Before surgery I reacted the same way when I went no sugar and minimal carbs. I'm feeling good today.

My dietician said 120 carbs per day, but I've heard some mixed reactions about this when I've shared. Many people have said that this is too high. I haven't had surgery, but I'd imagine it is too difficult to fit that many in after surgery if you are eating your Protein first.

I get low blood sugar as well. My dietician suggested to get glucose tablets. Carry them around with you. They can help you in a pinch. But chew them well.