Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have surgery in 13 days. I just had my 2 week pre op appointment yesterday, and then a seminar. I was doing so well up until the seminar when everyone was asking all these questions and commenting on things i didn't even think of. The anxiety and nerves are starting to set in. I know this is a huge lifestyle change and I am fully prepared. I have wanted this for so long and for it to finally be here is a little overwhelming. My family and friends have been so so supportive but I cant help but still be scared. This is my first major surgery. I have only ever had my tonsils taken out, that doesn't even count. I'm scared for it to be super painful, for me to not be able to sleep. That I wont eat enough at first or worse eat too much. Basically everything is just rushing at me all at once. Can you guys give me some reassurance. Tell me your stories/experiences? It would be much appreciated. Even though im surrounded by friends and family I am just feeling a little alone, like they don't understand what I am going through, how long and hard its been for me to get here. I started this process in December of 2016, so its been about a year now. Thanks

Who doesn’t have anxiety before surgery? I know NO ONE who had ever had the surgery so I had no one to turn to with questions.

There are lots of posts here about surgery recovery. Everyone is different but most are fine within a few days. The body is an amazing thing. Getting the gas out is the hardest part so walk, walk, walk.

I think what most who have never had the surgery don’t understand is your body is now able to tell you what food you need and how much to eat. You just need to learn to listen.

There is a great set of YouTube videos by Dr. Matthew Weiner. Watch them. They really help explain everything. Some of his philosophy is different from other doctors so follow the rules you are given. My favorite is when he explains how when the stomach is removed, it changes so many chemicals in the body it is like waking up and your brain/body now thinks it weighs 170 pounds. And your hunger and energy coincide with that. How cool is that?!?

Thank you!!!! I will check them out for sure! thanks for the advice!! I will make sure to walk lots!

My date is 12/14 and after this I will have 20 incisions on my stomach. Lap band, gall bladder, hysterectomy and now bypass. I have found it's always a relief to get into the pre-op room. They are always so caring, and explain everything. I always feel like I'm going to be safe after talking to everyone and getting ready. Hope you experience this trust too. Hoping all goes well. Will be watching for your update after[emoji175]

Wow you have been through the ringer!! I hope I get that experience as well, I love the doctor I’m seeing and the team is so awesome. So I know I’m in good hands. It’s just such a monumental thing. Good luck to you and hopefully after this next surgery you’ll be all done with them and on the road to recovery.

Lucky for me in my career I have been able to meet quite a few ppl that had bypass surgery over 5 to 12 years ago, a few more than 20 years ago. I have yet to meet one that regrets having bypass surgery, even a few that struggled in the beginning would not change a thing.

Ive never had surgery either so yes that part is scary and with any medical procedure there is always a small chance something can go wrong. That being said without risk there is usually no reward either.

We got this!