Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 6 weeks out. I have lost 23lbs. I have only lost 7 in the last 4 weeks. I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. I'm following what the doctor and dietician have told me to do. I'm afraid. I did something major to my body and the weight is holding tight. I'm upset and feel like a failure. I don't know what to do.

The one thing I have learned is that everyone has their own journey just hold tight keep working the program and the weight will come off. I just had an almost 2 week stall that I did not loose one single pound I thought the same things "what did I do?" "why is this not working" "Im hardly eating and staying my same weight" "what did I do wrong" IT WILL PICK UP just keep working the program GOOD LUCK <3

I'm 6 weeks out. I have lost 23lbs. I have only lost 7 in the last 4 weeks. I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. I'm following what the doctor and dietician have told me to do. I'm afraid. I did something major to my body and the weight is holding tight. I'm upset and feel like a failure. I don't know what to do.

I was in the same boat. I wanted it to come off faster. Hang in there and keep it up, it’ll come off. The sleeve is a slower weight loss method b/c we don’t have the malnutrition aspect (rerouting intestines). Keep up proper diet and drinking 64oz Water daily. It’ll come off.

I had surgery 9/6/17, I've lost 14lb so far. Doctor said that was good, because in 6 months I'll be at my goal weight. I started at 200lbs., had to gain weight for surgery 207lbs. Day of surgery I weighed 196lbs. 140lbs is my goal weight. It all depends on your start weight and length of timing to goal. Hang in there, we got this.

Sent from my Z983 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks everyone, I'm just down. Working hard and nothing is happening. Of course, my old comfort food is unavailable. :) I appreciate your support.

If you have pcos or thyroid issues (or diabetes), it can make the losses happen slower. But, at 2 pounds a week, you'll lose 100lbs in a year, which is great! Stick to your program, and next time you see your primary care doc you could ask to be tested for these things if you haven't been already.

You are a good candidate to put the scale away except to check it once or twice a month.

I am in the same situation as u are...and I had RnY gastric bypass. I feel like I'm doing everything by the book and the weight is just not moving. I had surgery 9/13 and am down only 13lbs. Like WTH?! And I can't eat or smoke to comfort myself, so I just feel like I'm stewing (mmm..stew!!) in my anxiety about not losing more weight. ☹

I have heard that people with less to lose will lose it slower than people work a large amount to lose. My friend had her sleeve done Jan 2014 and it took her a full 18 months to slowly lose 120 pounds. I have to lose about 80 pounds so my expectations are set According. I don't think I'll be losing 40-50 pounds in the first month like someone who has 200 to lose might do. I'll be happy at losing 6-10 pounds a month.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have heard that people with less to lose will lose it slower than people work a large amount to lose. My friend had her sleeve done Jan 2014 and it took her a full 18 months to slowly lose 120 pounds. I have to lose about 80 pounds so my expectations are set According. I don't think I'll be losing 40-50 pounds in the first month like someone who has 200 to lose might do. I'll be happy at losing 6-10 pounds a month.

I'm happy you're happy losing 6-10lbs a month, but I have 140lbs to lose, got the bypass, and am NOT happy losing 13lbs a month.

5 hours ago, Amburmist said:

NOT happy losing 13lbs a month.

That's almost a pound every other day! Typical weight loss is 4-8 pounds a month, so 13 is amazing!

Remember, the surgery isn't expected to knock off every pound of excess weight. You'll probably lose about 100lbs the first year postop, relatively easily. After that, it's all up to you.

That's almost a pound every other day! Typical weight loss is 4-8 pounds a month, so 13 is amazing!
Remember, the surgery isn't expected to knock off every pound of excess weight. You'll probably lose about 100lbs the first year postop, relatively easily. After that, it's all up to you.

When u say "Typical weight loss is 4-8 pounds a month", I assume ur talking about an everyday average joe who hasnt had bariatric surgery?

Curiously, do u know (or anyone know) what the average monthly or weekly weight loss rate is for someone, female in particular, who's had gastric bypass? I know everyone's different but I assume there is an average out there communicated somewhere. Just curious.

Yeah.. average joe. But, keep in mind, Mr. Average Joe is counting every calorie (probably eating 1500) and going to the gym 6 hours a week. And for all that, he gets to see the scale move 8lbs a month.

Average weight loss for bariatric patients seems to be about 15-25lbs the first month, and 8-14 pounds for the next 5 months, then less after that.

A very common scenario I see here is women's starting weight 240-260lbs. They reach goal (or close) at about 7 months postop. From 7 to 12 months, they drop another 10 lbs (2 pounds per month).

I noticed this because I'm 6 months out, and started 50lbs heavier than my surgi-buds. They are all getting very close to goal, even though I'm still 50lbs away.

Over and over, I've seen we are in sync virtually to the pound!

My losses began around 3lbs a week, but now has slowed down to about 1-1.5lbs a week. My calories have been higher from the start, and I don't exercise. So that is likely why I've kept pace with lightweights who are eating less and exercising.

13lbs in a month sounds an awful lot like 3lbs a week to me...

My monthly totals:

1. 17lbs.

2. 13lbs.

3. 8lbs

4. 12lbs

5. 14lbs

6. 7lbs

And I've lost 7 so far this month with 9 days to go.

I actually just looked to see what your stats are. Your starting weight was a bit higher than mine, but you are taller, so we started out pretty close. All the calculators indicate my end weight should be around 200lbs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I go lower, but have to be realistic too.

How long was your preop diet?

My monthly totals:
1. 17lbs.
2. 13lbs.
3. 8lbs
4. 12lbs
5. 14lbs
6. 7lbs
And I've lost 7 so far this month with 9 days to go.

Thanks for the visual breakdown by month. That's really helpful! I can only hope and pray mine goes like that... Being a revision band to sleeve, I've read that I should have low expectations... T-21 days till my surgery!!!