Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been re-sleeved? I was sleeved 06/29/10. My highest weight was 343 and I dropped to 211 in less than a year. Unfortunately, after that year my weight started to creep back slowly. First 20 pounds, then 30....now I'm back up to 272 pounds!! I always told myself that I would never go back to where I came and from and look where I am. I spoke to the Bariatric center here in Charlotte and they explained that being "sleeved" again is actually an option. I had such an effortless great surgery in 2010 and I'm curious if there will be any risks that are greater now.

I am wondering why they would want to re-sleeve you instead of possibly doing a GB conversion. That seems to be the next logical step. I have read that you shouldn't re-sleeve as your stomach has already been cut open and there is a lot greater chance of complications from staple line leaks. I am sure there is literature out there that supports both sides though.

Have you tried to go back to basics? Protein, veggies, grains and fruit only with 0 processed foods? I think the hardest thing is getting rid of processed and junk foods once you have started eating a lot of them again. If you fell off of the wagon, get back on track. You have gained 61 pounds overall, and I think you can lose it without having another surgery. You should still have some restriction there.

Incidentally, your profile says that you had Lap-Band and not VSG. Did you change surgery types at the last minute, or did you actually have Lap-Band?

I am sorry that you are once again having to weigh options.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Thank you! Yes It does say Lap Band...and I'm totally confused why. It also won't let me edit it.

The Sleeve has been my only surgery. I actually mentioned to them about being re-sleeved and they said it was a possibility. My first consultation is not until December. At that time they may suggest something else.

One thing is for sure...I definitely still have a little restriction...not much. And drinking and eating is still a no-no.

54 minutes ago, DDUKES said:

Has anyone been re-sleeved? I was sleeved 06/29/10. My highest weight was 343 and I dropped to 211 in less than a year. Unfortunately, after that year my weight started to creep back slowly. First 20 pounds, then 30....now I'm back up to 272 pounds!! I always told myself that I would never go back to where I came and from and look where I am. I spoke to the Bariatric center here in Charlotte and they explained that being "sleeved" again is actually an option. I had such an effortless great surgery in 2010 and I'm curious if there will be any risks that are greater now.

So you have already gone straight to discussing being resleeved instead of getting couselling to found out what happened to put you in a position that has you needing to be resleeved? no judgment just trying to figure out the thinking, get re sleeved what will stop you doing the exact same thing again without solving what caused you to do it? I cant see you geting a total gastrectomy to resolve the problem..

What are you eating at the moment daily including calories? You have obvc done well and can do so again if you get your focus back instead of looking for another surgery as a way out. There is no way out , our minds can always win no matter how many surgerys we have if we are not in the right place, youve done amazing you can do amazing again but believe in yourself not another surgery to fix this.

5 minutes ago, DDUKES said:

Thank you! Yes It does say Lap Band...and I'm totally confused why. It also won't let me edit it.

The Sleeve has been my only surgery. I actually mentioned to them about being re-sleeved and they said it was a possibility. My first consultation is not until December. At that time they may suggest something else.

One thing is for sure...I definitely still have a little restriction...not much. And drinking and eating is still a no-no.

If you click your username in the top left of the page, and then click 'My Surgery', you can change your surgery type there.

1 minute ago, dreamingsmall said:

So you have already gone straight to discussing being resleeved instead of getting couselling to found out what happened to put you in a position that has you needing to be resleeved? no judgment just trying to figure out the thinking, get re sleeved what will stop you doing the exact same thing again without solving what caused you to do it? I cant see you geting a total gastrectomy to resolve the problem..

What are you eating at the moment daily including calories? You have obvc done well and can do so again if you get your focus back instead of looking for another surgery as a way out. There is no way out , our minds can always win no matter how many surgerys we have if we are not in the right place, youve done amazing you can do amazing again but believe in yourself not another surgery to fix this.

You are exactly right! My focus right now STINKS. It's like I can't get my head in the game and maybe...honestly...just looking for a quick fix. Smh. I know, I know that's bad. And what also stinks is that a big problem is that I DON'T eat.

Have you tried to go back to basics? Protein, veggies, grains and fruit only with 0 processed foods? I think the hardest thing is getting rid of processed and junk foods once you have started eating a lot of them again. If you fell off of the wagon, get back on track. You have gained 61 pounds overall, and I think you can lose it without having another surgery. You should still have some restriction there.

You responded to Drop, but didn't say anything about this part. ..

1 minute ago, DropWt4Life said:

If you click your username in the top left of the page, and then click 'My Surgery', you can change your surgery type there.

Got it! Thank you! It should be updated now.

Just now, DDUKES said:

You are exactly right! My focus right now STINKS. It's like I can't get my head in the game and maybe...honestly...just looking for a quick fix. Smh. I know, I know that's bad. And what also stinks is that a big problem is that I DON'T eat.

I am glad your being honest often when people say what I said they are meat with a rude response, atleast you know what your trying to do but we all know this is not a quick fix :) you still have your tool

You gained 61lbs and you don't eat? :o This part I may need you to break this bit down? Are you just drinking milkshakes?

If you do not eat why do you need to be resleeved?

Reality is reality LOL! I think that's why these forums are good. You guys may just save me from making a big mistake. You know?

1 minute ago, dreamingsmall said:

If you do not eat why do you need to be resleeved?

Part of my thoughts have been....okay your surgery was successful....no complications or issues. So what caused the weight gain has been my first question of course. I really think it has been a combination of things, but I can honestly say it hasn't been from overeating. Stress, getting older, lack of time to be more active. I'm sure that doesn't sound believable, but it's the truth. So how will being resleeved help? I guess I just want a second chance to get and KEEP it right.

And it's funny, because I remember doing the Pre-Op diet and saying to myself...this is all mental. You can do this and not even have the surgery. After surgery we all know that its STILL work, but it's all mental and breaking bad habits.

So as I'm typing this and giving myself a reality check....it may very well NOT be the surgery that I need.

Lets rewind, your weightgain is caused by stress - being re sleeved does not remove stress. getting older- you will continue aging despite resleeving your lack of time to be active wont change because your resleeved, being resleeved will give you a change to keep it right? keep what right when youve gained 61lbs from never overeating?

Unless you have other health issues, you don't gain 61lbs from air and just from what you mentioned ALONE. In combination sure. But have a visit to your doctor and do further investigation if that is the truth.

You said you dont eat, so.. the sleeve will.. make you not eat more? its a confusing one, goodluck i think when some one is ready to be honest it makes the world of good :) All the best.

Edited by dreamingsmall

If you are not overeating then it has to be the types of food that you are eating.

I am on an extended business trip and I very quickly gained over 10 pounds in under 2 months from bad food choices. I'm taking it off now. I have switched to a low fat plant based diet. Google if you are interested, it's excellent for health and weight management.

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal mobile app