Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea after surgery?

Everyone that I know that has had it done or see on this forum complains of being extremely nauseous. I am so nervous about this feeling and what have people taken for medication??? Is it really that bad? What would you compare it to?

I never had one bit of nausea... but my doctor put a tiny scopolamine patch behind my ear the second i got to the hospital and it lasted 72 hours. I was also offered zofran during my stay and took some home (sublingual). Im sure theyd give it IV in severe forms. Just make sure your doctor knows of this fear, especially if you are prone to nausea, and im sure they can lay a plan out for you to feel more comfortable!

I never had any nausea either. My doctor gave me some anti-nausea pills just in case I did though. I take it back...im 2 months post-op and I've been nauseous twice but it's because I ate too much. Once I threw up I felt instantly better. And there is never a whole lotto throw up so it was easy. But right after surgery it was fine, no nausea. It's different for everyone so just prepared but not anxious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

First 3 days everytime i moved i dry heaved it was horrible and i screamed in pain as i had nothing to puke.

But they give you ani sickness before.

I am on it for 18 montths once a day and first 6 months ant acid twice a day.

5 WEEKS in and still feel abit sickly and gross but not to bad, cant say this was a main worry for me , did not even think about it .

I have nothing to compare that first couple of days.

I'm 5 days post op and I feel extremely nauseous still. I hope it doesn't last too much longer. I feel like I'm always trying to hole every thing in. Even Water.

I was put on acid reflux meds. Huge improvement overnight on how easy it was to eat and drink.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Everyone that I know that has had it done or see on this forum complains of being extremely nauseous. I am so nervous about this feeling and what have people taken for medication??? Is it really that bad? What would you compare it to?

I have always been very sensitive to nausea from anesthesia. Knowing this, I spoke with both my bariatric surgeon and anesthesiologist and they were both wonderful. The anesthesiologist should call you before your surgery and when mine called and I spoke with him, I told him all about my history. Knowing all that he took all possible measures to make sure I would be ok. The first day, however, as I expected, was still pretty bad for me. I told my nurse immediately and was given meds through the IV which helped. I was also given a transdermal scope before surgery and wore it for 3 days. I also left the hospital with a zofran prescription. That stuff is a life saver!! It's easy to become nauseated from anesthesia and the addition of the narcotics for pain, especially since we have nothing in our stomachs to absorb anything. Personally, Vicodin makes me sick as well so I took percaset instead since I did well with it after my c-section. Vicodin has a tendency to make people nauseated. Make sure to ask your surgeon to write you an rx for zofran and have it at home when you get back. It dissolves in your mouth and seriously is a game changer and this coming from someone who is hyper sensitive to nausea! Hope that helps! :)

5'7 HW: 256 SW: 248 CW: ? GW: 150 Fantasy GW: 135 Sleeved 8/7

I'm 5 days post op and I feel extremely nauseous still. I hope it doesn't last too much longer. I feel like I'm always trying to hole every thing in. Even Water.

Do you have zofran? If you don't, call your surgeon and tell them you want some!! It'll save you! I take it in bed before I get out in the morning and it seriously is a game changer. I think you can take 3 a day. They just melt in your mouth. You'll be less nauseated once you've gotten all the pain meds out of your system as well.

5'7 HW: 256 SW: 248 CW: ? GW: 150 Fantasy GW: 135 Sleeved 8/7