Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fills: What to expect

Hi everyone:

I am expected to get my very first fill on October 24th. What should I expect AFTER the fill? How will I feel, stomach wise? How much should I be able to eat and how soon after? I need help and understanding on what to expect, after this fill.

Thanks so much.

-Teresa

Honestly, if I were you I would expect nothing. That way you won't be disappointed if nothing seems different. After my first fill I really couln't tell anything. It usually takes multiple fills to feel real restriction. As far as the fill process, it was so quick and easy I really hate having to drive over an hour to get one because I'm in and out of the office in about 10 minutes. For me it was also painless.

I,M HAVING MY FIRST FILL ON OCT19TH AND WAS NERVOUS BUT AFTER READING A LOT OF THREADS ON HERE I,M OK NOW. I AM NOT EXPECTING TO FEEL MUCH DIFFERENT GOING BY WHAT I READ HERE AND AS FAR AS DIET GOES IT,S PROB DIFFERENT HERE IN THE UK BUT I,V BEEN TOLD I WILL HAVE TO BE ON liquids FOR THREE DAYS AND THEN MUSHY food FOR THREE DAYS. I WAS TOLD MY FIRST FILL WILL BE UNDER XRAY AND I WILL BE THERE FOR ABOUT ONE HOUR, IT WON,T TAKE THAT LONG FOR FURTHER FILLS THOUGH, WHAT I WAS WONDERING IS IF THE DOCS KNOW WE DON,T GET MUCH RESTRICTION UNTIL MULTIPLE FILLS (I KNOW THAT,S NOT TRUE FOR EVERYONE) BUT AS A GENERAL RULE IT,S SO THEN WHY DON,T THEY PUT A BIT MORE IN? NOT SO MUCH THAT WE CAN,T GET ANYTHING DOWN BUT JUST A BIT MORE SO THAT WE FEEL RESTRICTION SOONER. I HAVE TO TRAVEL TWO HOURS TO THE HOSPITAL WHERE I WILL GET MY FILLS AND BECAUSE OF WORK COMMITMENTS HAVE TO GO AT ODD TIMES, 6.30PM NEXT FRI SO WITH THE TIME I WILL BE THERE AND TRAVELING IT WILL BE LATE EVENING WHEN I GET HOME, I HAVE TO TAKE MY SEVEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WITH ME TOO. OH WELL AT LEAST IT,S NOT A SCHOOL NIGHT AND I AM KEEN TO GET THE BALL ROLLING WITH FILLS SO BRING IT ON.:whoo:

I was told it was a ten minute procedure. I would really like more restriction. I am just finally starting to feel hungrier sooner and the restriction isn't too great. I am staying on track with my exercisethough which is a big bonus.

-Teresa

I think that everyone is just so different they have to go slow because some people may feel restriction after 2cc but others may need 6ccs. Also I've heard that some are much worse than others and only will give about 1/2 cc at a time where as my first fill was 3 ccs and my second was 2. I barely have to do any liquids either. If I get a fill in the moring they just say have Soup the rest of the day and then I can eat normal the following day. You would think there would be some consistency but there isn't.

I had my first fill yesterday and I got 1.4 cc's. It didn't hurt but I wasn't fully prepared for what would happen either. They had me do a stomach crunch to locate the port opening and then the needle went in and it was not bad at all. They found the spot and then needle sticking out they had me sit up. I drank some Water and then when the gurgling was just at the chest level they quit. She measured the amount put in and said we are done. She asked if I was ready to which I said yes but apparently the answer should have been no because right then with a quick motion pulled the needle out. I saw my stomach pull out for a second and heard a popping noise like when something is suction cupped to a window and you pull it off. It didn't hurt just shocked me. I did not expect that to happen. She then put on a bandaid and said see you in 4-6 weeks. Liquids/soup for the rest of the day and the next and back to regular food on Saturday. I could tell the difference at dinner which was Soup. So I am excited. It all makes sense when I think about it but I guess I just didn't really give it that kind of thought before it happened.

I had my 1st fill 9/11 and had no restriction and will get my 2nd 10/23. First day I had liquids and 2nd day mushies. I am terrified of needles and the doctor had to stick me twice cause he couldn't find the port (but he was a sweetheart), I asked him to talk to me while he was doing it to get my mind off the needle thing, although I never heard a thing he said, LOL. When he finished I could have kissed him cause it was over. I hope that it's non-eventful this time, I am 45 minutes away from my home, but I have to drive an hr to get to work so I won't be counted for a 1/2 day. The students always tell me to drive careful and slow to give them a break. LOL

I had my first fill this moring under fluoro...and it wasn't bad at all. My doc numbed the injection area and that was the only pain. He put in 1cc, which I thought was a lot considering I have the small band but he's the expert so we'll see what happens. He has me on liquids for 2 days mushies for 1 and then back to normal food...yeah I'm not thrilled about the liquids but at least it's not for 2 freakin weeks like before!!

I had my first fill on 10/4/07. I was expecting to be on liquids for at least a week afterwards bu my DR. said that I could go back to solids the next day but to eat slowly. I should have listened to myself I threw up twice and felt extreme discomfort while eating for about four days. I went back to Soups and now I feel much better when I eat. I am taking it slower and chewing better. I find that if I don't I get a bad pain in my chest and the urge to throw up.