Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain medication concerns

I feel ashamed even having to ask this, but I'm freaking myself out, so here it goes...

The week before surgery I was diagnosed with Pleurisy and put on 7.5 to 10 mg of hydrocodone, which I took maybe every other day or so at night. My job involves driving, so my use was very limited.

Then for surgery I was on dilaudid (patient controlled analgesic) at Lord knows what dose, plus oral Oxycodone 15mg. At home I was on the 15mg oxycodone for a couple days, then 10, then 7.5, and then I didn't really feel much pain anymore by about day 7 so I stopped...

And I felt like complete crap. Achey, cold sweats, goose bumps, nausea, etc. I took 7.5mg because I figured that's just how post op feels without pain meds on board, and it all went away. I tried again yesterday, same story.

Then it dawned on me that maybe those are withdrawal symptoms? I have a 4th year medical student friend (with no bariatric training) and I asked her about it, and she said it's fully possible to already have physical dependence, and to just taper off slowly. But I'm just in shock that I could develop a dependency so quickly. I keep thinking that this is just how it feels at 9 days post op without any pain meds on board. Like absolute trash.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into how they felt at this time in their recovery? Is it normal to be achey, have cold sweats, goosebumps, exhaustion, and nausea? Or am I withdrawing off of narcotics after just over 2 weeks of use?

Please nobody be rude, this is a difficult question to ask, but I need your thoughts...

HW: 296

SW: 262

CW: 251.4

Surgery date: 6/26/17

It's possible. Have you experienced yawning and watery eyes as well? It happened to me once.

I'd just stop them and be done. It'll be over and done. I'm very sensitive to the meds and hate taking them. I hope you feel better and there's no shame in your question. It happens more than I was ever aware of.

It's possible. Have you experienced yawning and watery eyes as well? It happened to me once.
I'd just stop them and be done. It'll be over and done. I'm very sensitive to the meds and hate taking them. I hope you feel better and there's no shame in your question. It happens more than I was ever aware of.

I haven't noticed excessive yawning or watery eyes I don't think... but thank you for your input and kindness! I appreciate it.

It is possible to have withdrawal symptoms after a short time. Mostly because your dose was so high. When you have a higher dose your body can have more symptoms quicker. It is never good to stop pain meds cold turkey. You should taper off of them. My surgeon has repeatedly said this to me when I kept trying to just stop my dialaudid because I don't want to be on it for so long. When I try to stop it my pains get really bad though and it takes days to get back on top of the pain.

3 hours ago, heyheysaraj said:

15mg oxycodone

:blink:

That is quite a lot. Having said that, it could also just be your body adjusting or an infection.

:blink:
That is quite a lot. Having said that, it could also just be your body adjusting or an infection.

I didn't really have any perspective on the Oxycodone dosage, so I didn't realize how high it was... Very surprising!

I'm 21 hours from my last dose (7.5mg) and just had some light nausea when I woke up that went away with Ondansetron. I assumed as the day went on I would spiral again, but I'm ok so far. I'm not opposed to tapering if today fails as well, but so far so good. This stuff just scares the hell out of me, so if I can be done, I want to be DONE. Eek.

I didn't really have any perspective on the Oxycodone dosage, so I didn't realize how high it was... Very surprising!

I'm 21 hours from my last dose (7.5mg) and just had some light nausea when I woke up that went away with Ondansetron. I assumed as the day went on I would spiral again, but I'm ok so far. I'm not opposed to tapering if today fails as well, but so far so good. This stuff just scares the hell out of me, so if I can be done, I want to be DONE. Eek.

If you had been on longer than two weeks I'd say taper but you'd just be dragging it out by reintroducing narcs.
If you can stand it I'd stay clear.
It's the pits, I went through it after just two weeks on them too. Couldn't believe it! That's why I hate them!

It sounds like what you are experiencing is opiate withdrawal. Just push through it and it will stop. You can expect it to last around 7-10 days.

She was only on meds two weeks. I can't imagine it lasting more than four days.

I'm 48 hours "clean and sober"! It turns out I was just massively dehydrated and the meds were covering the symptoms, which made it appear to be a withdrawal. I had a couple bags of IV fluids and am a whole new person :)

CW: 249