Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved about 9 months ago and struggling with alcohol dependency and pain killers. I haven't had any complications with my sleeve but fear my ongoing issues with alcohol and pain killers will ruin my sleeve. So far I've lost close to 50kgs but having difficulty with loose skin and how y body looks

We were taught to not drink for 6 months because of the issue for dependency! I am 7 months out and I still have not had a drop of alcohol. It will be a year for me next month. I don't drink for the fear of dependency and loosing the life I have created. You need to change and get help!

4 hours ago, meowlora said:

Oh wow that was so helpful. I'm obviously identifying that I have an issue with these issues. In an open forum for support I thought that people would be more understanding.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BariatricPal mobile app

So what kind of support are you looking for? Do you want people to congratulate you on the alcohol and drug addiction and encourage you to do more of it?

If you can't moderate yourself, abstain entirely. There's no other solution. The sleeve actually makes it easier for drugs and booze to hurt you because of how quickly they absorb into the bloodstream. Moderating yourself is even more essential with this WLS. If your goal is to destroy your organs like your liver or kill yourself, you're on the right track.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

If you are really concerned about it I would encourage you to enter detox and then a substance abuse program. Your mind will tell you you can use more but your body is NOT the same. Please go to detox and follow up with treatment! If you drink or use a lot you MUST be medically monitored when you stop. Withdrawal from alcohol can be fatal. If you aren't sure about treatment go to Alcoholics Anonymous. It sounds like you have multiple addictions and now that food isn't an option your drug and alcohol use tends to escalate. Please seek treatment!!!

It was not clear from your post if you are actively using or just afraid of returning to old behaviors. Substance use disorders are a treatable disease. You have made a major step in identifying the issue and asking for assistance.

A public message board may not be the best option for you to find the most effective treatment and support. Call you primary care doc and ask for a referral. Does your employer offer an EAP - it is a free confidential resource that can provide services.

Sunshinegall is absolutely correct about the risks of continuing to use. There are resources - please reach out to someone locally.

Did your dependency begin after surgery? To have established addiction to alcohol and pain killers after surgery is pretty radical. Have you talked to a therapist about your concern? Aside from the affects of these behaviors on your tummy, the repercussions to your quality of life are huge. Sharing on this board will get you opinions but your addiction is way bigger than an online support group. Please work hard to get personal help. My daughter is a meth addict that has been clean for over a year. I could do nothing to help her. She had to do all the work to help herself.

Thinking of you.

Take care

When I had my Psyche evaluation I asked the Dr what would disqualify me from being approved for the surgery. One thing he stated was being an alcoholic since I would need to refrain from drinking alcoholic beverages during my recovery from surgery.
As for you. You should seek the help of a qualified medical professional who can offer you guidance and treatment.