Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's me again. Neossa. I am 6 month post op MGB. After 3 month of my surgery I had small amount of alcohol and since then...I realized that I can drink decent amount of alcohol after my surgery. Before surgery I was drinking beer like a fish. After surgery I can even drink 2 beer at a time or 2 glass of wine. I am not drinking daily...but once a week. Over the weekend.

I wonder my capacity of drinking after MGB. When I google stuff ppl says....they can't drink after surgery or they get high faster. But I don't feel like I am higher or tipsy.

I KNOW its not good. and I am still half way to my weight loss journey.

I need advise or a conversation for alcohol after Mini Gastric Bypass.

Should I drink ( Off course NO) or I can occasionally drink 1 glass of alcohol.

Thank you all in advance who can comment on it.

You are asking a question that you already know the answer to and you have already answered it in your post.

You can drink with no effects so you are drinking as much as you want. You know that is counter productive to weight loss.

Stop drinking, until you are at goal. If you can't stop, seek help.

The rule, and in the manual, we are not to drink for the first two years. Alcohol can cause an ulcer in your smaller stomach so the risk is high. After two years, an occasional red wine is acceptable because the benefits outweigh the risk. BE VERY CAREFUL that one addiction - food - is not replaced with another. For me, it became shopping and I am still battling that one. It could easily have been alcohol, smoking, drugs, gambling, etc. Step back and analyze yourself. Counseling is not a bad thing. My best wishes for a happy and healthy future.

Edited by Elinor M. Reynolds
mispelling

Every person and every surgeon's plan is different. My Dr says you can drink in moderation after 3-6 months. I wasn't a drinker pre surgery so it hasn't been an issue for me post surgery either. Almost 8 months out and I have had zero alcohol. I think about a glass of wine here and there, but it's just not worth the calories to me.

As was mentioned above some of us replace the food issue to other obsessions!! There is statsistics that show that cross addictions are real. When we can't use food to self medicate we sometimes turn to other unhealthy stuff. On a lighter note when I went to my class hubby went also. When we got to the part about cross addictions, he told me that he sure hopes I get obsessed with SEX!! MMM NOPE not that. LOL But..I love to shop! Way to much. I never was able to buy clothes for myself due to always struggling finaclly. Well now I have some lead way and I LOVE IT!! I never was someone that loved shoes, I love them now!! I had to buy a she tree so I could at least keep them out of the way. I never liked Boots whelp I do now!! Just be aware of how easy it is to go all out on things. It can get us a little at a time or rush into us!! Good Luck and keep us posted on your journey.

sherrie Scharbrough....Loved your answer :) Thank you for motivation :) I surly look forward other addiction now which will suit my body taher then alchohol. MMM cloths and shoes sounds YUMMY to me :) Thanks for stopping by.

Mowryrocks....Yes, it depends Dr to Dr. My Dr said...a small glass of wine is fine "Occasionally" but yes...Weight goal should be the first preference at this stage. Thanks for stopping by and replying :)

OutsideMatchInside. Thanks for stopping by and replying. You are right with your answer. I wasn't nor I'm a alcohol " Addicted" When I said...I realized I can drink 2 beer or 2 wine easily...That I had after 1 year...and I am post 6 month surgery. I started occasional drink 2 weeks a go and I realized I can drink handsome amount. but yes....I was drinking with no effects. Thanks for motivation.

Elinor M. Reynolds Thank you for soothing words. you are right, one addiction should not be replace with another. The more scary part is ulcer :(