Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else get major anxiety during their pre-op diet? i'm not even nervous for the surgery itself but i'm so anxious about what life will be like after. For some reason it's so hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that i won't constantly be hungry and i have this irrational thought that i'll never be able to eat foods i love ever again - i know none of these things are true but i can't stop being so damn anxious about it all. i'm also SO scared that i will fail due to my bad relationship with food. did anyone else have thoughts like these and then after surgery they came to realise it wasn't as bad as you thought? please help, i'm so anxious!

I'm on pre op and am also anxious . I think it's natural to feel this way. Def going to be change that's for sure

2 hours ago, malequ said:

Did anyone else get major anxiety during their pre-op diet? i'm not even nervous for the surgery itself but i'm so anxious about what life will be like after. For some reason it's so hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that i won't constantly be hungry and i have this irrational thought that i'll never be able to eat foods i love ever again - i know none of these things are true but i can't stop being so damn anxious about it all. i'm also SO scared that i will fail due to my bad relationship with food. did anyone else have thoughts like these and then after surgery they came to realise it wasn't as bad as you thought? please help, i'm so anxious!

Hey I think the feeling is normal for most people especially as time comes closer for some. I had that same thought before I started going to my support groups & doing research; thinking I would no longer be able to eat. The other thought I have is although my body isn't hungry, what if my mind is wanting something, will I mess up or will I be strong enough to stick to my new lifestyle?

I suggest if you haven't did your psych evaluation yet then to bring that concern up so they can better help you and even with your dietician. I have my psych evaluation in the beginning of April so in the meantime I'm going to try to find related books that can possibly help me and to just have around the house even after.

I believe you'll do fine and not fail. Just make sure you're honest with what your feeling so you can get proper guidelines/tools to help you and know that you are not alone.

I am 2 weeks away from surgery and I think everybody goes through this anxiety. That is what support groups are all about and keep on reading these forums I am sure the answers will come Good Luck

Hi I have no date surgery but I have been nervous the whole process i don't have a lot of support on this decision but I do know it the right one for me. Every dr I have met during this process has thumbs up from me and having a good relationship with my surgeon.

I went through the same thing. Going to the local support group meeting was the best decision I could have met. Usually a good mix of pre and post op. Hardest thing is not being afraid to ask the honest questions I had in my head

Thank you everyone for your replies and kind words! I live in australia and my insurance didn't require a psych evaluation or any support groups but i do know a few people who've had it done and that helps a bit and i do need to see a dietician post op so i'm sure they can help me out. I guess because it is a permanent lifestyle change it's a bit daunting. I go through phases of feeling as if it's the right thing for me and then feeling as if i've made the wrong decision (which i know is wrong). I've been sticking to my pre-op diet and have been fine so maybe that's proof in itself that i'm ready to make the change i need to. Thanks everyone! :)