Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Different scales = different weights

I'm so confused... the scales at every doctors office I go to are so different that I can't tell if I'm losing, gaining, or staying the same!

Family doctor: 216

Week later at bariatric clinic: 206

3 weeks later at Psych doctor: 220

1 week later Pre-op hospital testing: 220

5 days later at bariatric clinic: 209

Seriously?? My bariatric doctor says just go by their scale... but WHY are most places all weighing me so differently?

Another thing: Why does my bariatric doctor measure my height at 5' 4" (which I thought I had been since I was 15) but the hospital measures me at 5' 3" and at home I measure 5' 2.5"?? Why do some.plaves measure with shoes on and others with shoes off?? So frustrating!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I'm so confused... the scales at every doctors office I go to are so different that I can't tell if I'm losing, gaining, or staying the same!

Family doctor: 216

Week later at bariatric clinic: 206

3 weeks later at Psych doctor: 220

1 week later Pre-op hospital testing: 220

5 days later at bariatric clinic: 209

Seriously?? My bariatric doctor says just go by their scale... but WHY are most places all weighing me so differently?

Another thing: Why does my bariatric doctor measure my height at 5' 4" (which I thought I had been since I was 15) but the hospital measures me at 5' 3" and at home I measure 5' 2.5"?? Why do some.plaves measure with shoes on and others with shoes off?? So frustrating!

I know. I go to a large health center, multiple buildings and even though it's the same facility every scale is off by at least 3 lbs.

@@AGreenEyedWolf You have to pick one scale and go by that...either get one for home or only trust the one at your bariatric practice or wherever you go the most often.

I weigh myself at the same time of day, wearing the same thing, on my home scale. I then ignore the actual # on my doctor's scale and only concern myself with the change since the last #.

Depending on the time of day and what clothes you are wearing, even the SAME scale is going to show huge fluctuations in weight. If that's going to drive you crazy, I suggest getting a scale for your home and weighing under the same conditions every time. For example, I always weigh myself in the morning before my shower. I do so naked, after I've peed, before eating or drinking anything. If anything about my schedule is thrown off, like I sleep in, or I eat Breakfast before my shower or I am away from home, I don't weigh myself at all, because I know the fluctuation caused by the different circumstances will bother me.

After my appointment with my surgeon today, I went back over to the pre-op Surgery Center that I was at last Thursday. That was the day before I started my liver shrinking diet. I weighed myself on the exact same scale they weighed me on last week and learned that I have lost 3 pounds in 4 days on the liver shrinking diet.

I couldn't tell that at my surgeon's office because I've only been weighed on that scale twice... once in early November and once today... And I know between the time I was there in early November up to last week, I know for a fact I was eating more than I should have been because I was on this kick of "so I better enjoy some food before I can't eat anything after surgery."

I agree with the idea of picking one scale to acquire your go-to metric and using it in the same circumstances when you do.

When I was on a recent trip to Asia for 3.5 weeks, I couldn't weigh because there wasn't a scale available (even in the fitness center of the hotel, ironically). It was so freeing -- and this comes from someone who has weighed everyday since mid-March. And I lost 13 pounds during that time, so the journey went on even without me getting on a scale everyday.

Since I have been home, I have returned to my daily weighing habit, but I am seriously thinking about transitioning to only weighing on Mondays.