Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I am looking for some helpful advise on maintaining good eating habits! I am just at the beginning stages and meet with the surgeon for the first time next week. I have started to really watch what I eat just trying to eat healthier and drink more water! I am 21 and I know that I need to create these life long habits now if I want to keep the weight off. Do you have any advice on the best way to still satisfy the cravings or hunger but eat better? Also, after surgery, can you enjoy a small bite of ice cream at a birth day party or mashed potatoes, in moderation?

You can definitely enjoy treats like ice cream post-op. Not immediately post-op, obviously, but certainly by the time you are in maintenance. I had half a piece of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake last night!

The most important things post-op will be Protein and Water. You need need need to put Protein first. But if you are meeting your protein goals, then a little ice cream or mashed potatoes or whatever once in a while is fine.

I think right now, pre-op, there are some things you can work on that will make your post-op life easier. Start going ahead and putting protein first. Eat your protein before your starches or vegetables at each meal. Start working on finding high protein Snacks you can enjoy (greek yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, nuts, Jerky, turkey sticks, etc.).

Start tracking your protein. Ideally you will want to get up to 100 grams a day. Start getting a sense of how much protein is in the foods you eat regularly.

Start cutting back on carbs. Your pre-op diet will likely be a no-carb diet. So it will only help you to kick that carb habit sooner than later!

If you smoke, quit now! You will be required to quit prior to surgery and giving up smoking AND food at the same time will be too much to handle.

Cut back on caffeine and alcohol too. You won't be allowed any of either for at least 30 days post-op by most plans, so again, easier to phase it out now than have to go cold turkey at the time of your surgery.

Start eating slowly and trying to not eat and drink at the same time. The not eating and drinking at the same time thing will seem impossible at first. For me, I had to just not even have a beverage within reach while eating, otherwise I would drink it without even thinking about it. As for eating slowly... chew each bite as thoroughly as possible and set your fork down between bites.

I am about the same age as you (I'm 22) and here's my advice. I always make sure I drink Water before I eat- both before and after my surgery I found that sometimes I mistake hunger for thirst.

When I go out to eat I always ask for a box and put at least half in it straight away. This helps me from feeling like I'm 'wasting' so much food and the visual of the smaller portion helps me.

I've also found that sometimes when I get cravings I'm satisfied with only a few bites. So I've learned to get the healthier option and then either it will pass or I'll share with someone else or have a bite of their food. Honestly though, sometimes I get treats but only have a little bit- I get much more satisfied now that I've been sleeved. Also, I found that I am more likely to have cravings if I'm hungry. What I've done is eat my meal and then my cravings substantially go away. (Side note: I tend to have more intense cravings when I'm on my period, so you may experience that).

Drinking only Water wasn't hard for me because I had started that habit years ago. If it's hard for you and you need flavor I really like the brand "Hint" water. They have no calories and come in all sorts of good flavors but don't taste artificial.

For me the hardest change to make was alcohol. It doesn't seem like you're consuming as many calories as you are and it "hits" me much faster. So just monitor it if you can't completely cut it out. If I'm being realistic about myself I don't think I could cut it out completely- like I had some wine on Thanksgiving and Christmas- but just know that it's easier to over do it on alcohol than it is on food (at least in my opinion).

Finally, when you go through a stall don't necessarily restrict yourself more. If it's been 4-6 weeks of a stall and you haven't lost inches or pounds then reassess your eating.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much for responding! I don't smoke and I stick to Water, my drink preference. Thankfully I can't stand soda except ginger ale if I'm sick. I was replacing Breakfast with a Protein Shake and having a Protein Bar for snack also. I have started to try and find healthier alternatives to make every day foods. I guess I'm trying to prove to myself that I really can make these permanent changes prior to surgery to make it worth it. I will work in more Protein and try to really slow down on eating also!

The earlier you can ween yourself off of sugar the better.

I experienced wicked sugar withdrawals during my pre-op diet. About 4 days of constant headaches, general grumpiness, and irrational emotions.

Do yourself a favor and cut out as much sugar as possible right now. A few bites of a sweet dessert will be ok in the future, but a day with lots of carbs or sugar causes most people to "dump." This hasn't applied to me yet because I am only 1 week out with the sleeve. I lost 100 lbs with the band (gained about 20 back) and am 17.5 lbs down in 1 week with the sleeve. Both of my sisters have sleeves and have lost 150lbs and 70 lbs, but still don't eat much sugar or high carb (think Italian food extravaganza) because of dumping. Neither one really has cravings, but you may think you are craving when you do actually get hungry! Drink water!!! ALL THE TIME!!! Except for 1 hour after you eat (but longer is better!). 80-100g Protein per day is optimum. Work on eating your Protein first, then veggies, then some good fats. Try not to have too much fruit and start tracking everything!!!! Use an app like MyFitnessPal or baritastic!

Those are my tips! Hope this helps!

SW:327 CW:239 GW:155

Heather in Texas

You can definitely enjoy treats like ice cream post-op. Not immediately post-op, obviously, but certainly by the time you are in maintenance. I had half a piece of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake last night!

The most important things post-op will be Protein and Water. You need need need to put Protein first. But if you are meeting your protein goals, then a little ice cream or mashed potatoes or whatever once in a while is fine.

I think right now, pre-op, there are some things you can work on that will make your post-op life easier. Start going ahead and putting protein first. Eat your protein before your starches or vegetables at each meal. Start working on finding high protein Snacks you can enjoy (greek yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, nuts, Jerky, turkey sticks, etc.).

Start tracking your protein. Ideally you will want to get up to 100 grams a day. Start getting a sense of how much protein is in the foods you eat regularly.

Start cutting back on carbs. Your pre-op diet will likely be a no-carb diet. So it will only help you to kick that carb habit sooner than later!

If you smoke, quit now! You will be required to quit prior to surgery and giving up smoking AND food at the same time will be too much to handle.

Cut back on caffeine and alcohol too. You won't be allowed any of either for at least 30 days post-op by most plans, so again, easier to phase it out now than have to go cold turkey at the time of your surgery.

Start eating slowly and trying to not eat and drink at the same time. The not eating and drinking at the same time thing will seem impossible at first. For me, I had to just not even have a beverage within reach while eating, otherwise I would drink it without even thinking about it. As for eating slowly... chew each bite as thoroughly as possible and set your fork down between bites.

Ahoy far out were you when you had the cheesecake factory?

I used to make lists for my nutritionist and email them before our meetings so I didn't forget anything. That helped me to get the most out of my visits. Your nut can be a great source of information. I went every month or two for the first year. Protein is very important of course and definitely learn and stick to the rules they give you. Start reading labels and reading nutrition information from reputable websites. There is a lot to learn and fine tuning your diet is going to take some time. Low carb high protein is just one step in the right direction. In the beginning weight loss is much easier. Once you can eat more the weight loss slows, you have to look at your diet in more detail. You are eventually going to want foods you ate before. Know that there are many low carb alternatives out there. I made low carb Bagels this morning that weren't half bad. I am now transitioning to a Keto diet which is high in fat, moderate in protein and low carb. I don't suggest this for a while. But at one year out, I find the higher fat (healthy fats) help me with the cravings while still facilitating weigh loss. I agree with the previous posts, and would strongly recommend you stop sugar and processed carbohydrates. I have found so many improvements since removing them from my diet in addition to weight loss. I have found that most people on this site understand the struggle, are very helpful and full of great information. Wishing you the best and looking forward to your 1 year post op post sharing your success :-)