Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Sweet-eaters

I don't know if I should have the lap band surgery ??

I would like to know if the lap band helps to stop the cravings for ice cream and sugar. I'm a big sweet-eater and I know that the lap band will not work if I continue to crave for sugar. I wish I could feel full after a piece or two of chocolate instead of eating the whole chocolate bar.

Is the lap band a solution for sugar cravings ???

Liz, my doc told me that if i was a sugar-craver, which i am, that the bypass would be better because there would be immediate negative consequences to eating the junk food, like dumping, et. But i had to go with the band. :confused:

I still eat chocolate when i want it, but i don't need as much to be satisfied. plus, when ur doing the treadmill and realize how much work it is to burn those 300 calories, you definitely make better choices. lol ...i have gotten to the point where i will eat whatever i want, how much i want and just make sure i put in a good workout at the gym and this has worked fine for me.

when i do have chocolate, i'll pick a kind with nuts so as to get at least a little Protein out of it, or i'll go for sugar free Chocolate. i could never not go without sweets, but they definitely don't have the same draw they did before. Does that help?

Well, I have a crazy sweet tooth.

I didn't read that people who have sweet tooths shouldn't get banded, till after the fact. I'm glad now, I probably would have gone with RNY..

But anyway, my cure is this.. I allow myself something sweet once a week, and I just have to say 'is this going to be it? if it's this, no more sweets for a week!'. It's silly, and I hope one day I stop caring so much.. but for now it works. And I don't gorge.. one serving size (have you ever eaten ONE serving of ice cream as per the box? Or one cookie serving? I didn't until now).

And lastly, I don't keep temptation in my house! It's easier to deal with that way, if I get a pang where I just have to gorge on some ice cream.. if there's none in my freezer, I'm sure as hell not runnin' to the store. But that's just me.

Well, I have a crazy sweet tooth.

I didn't read that people who have sweet tooths shouldn't get banded, till after the fact. I'm glad now, I probably would have gone with RNY..

But anyway, my cure is this.. I allow myself something sweet once a week, and I just have to say 'is this going to be it? if it's this, no more sweets for a week!'. It's silly, and I hope one day I stop caring so much.. but for now it works. And I don't gorge.. one serving size (have you ever eaten ONE serving of ice cream as per the box? Or one cookie serving? I didn't until now).

And lastly, I don't keep temptation in my house! It's easier to deal with that way, if I get a pang where I just have to gorge on some ice cream.. if there's none in my freezer, I'm sure as hell not runnin' to the store. But that's just me.

I'm with you Laura - I don't keep it in the house - I have my healthy request fudgecicles sf & sf chocolate pudding - but i want a cookie - but i just don't buy them cuz i can't just eat one :) ... I gotta find a low calorie but good tasting receipe

HI! No, the band won't stop sugar cravings. But what it will do, if you're properly restricted is stop you in your tracks if you try to eat certain sugary foods.

For example....I cannot in any way shape or form eat brownies, donuts, b-day cake (that's iffy). Anything "cakey". Getting these things stuck is not worth trying, in my opinion.

I have a major sweet tooth and I've lost 84lbs in 17 months. I think my losses could be better, but my doctor is not upset and I don't feel deprived. I like ice cream and need to stop the nightly dishes of it. The band lets the stuff that melts in your mouth slide right through.

Good luck!

For me the solution to sugar cravings is to avoid sweets. A taste of sugar re-activates sugar cravings, and I have to "white-knuckle" it for a few days until the cravings subside. This is not true for many, but trial and error has shown me that this is the only way for me.

Although I never got into OA, they do have a great sentiment that describes my relationship with sugar: "one bite is too many, a thousand is never enough".

I can handle sugar-free popsicles but avoid the sugar-free fudgesicles because they can set me off. I have eaten several lifetimes worth of chocolate and the pleasure was so fleeting that (I tell myself!) I am content to give it up for the long-term pleasure of being at a normal weight. I still miss sweets, but the intense cravings are dormant........

I am a very big sweets craver. Sweets are definitely my downfall. Eating a lot of Protein and getting the sweets out of my system really helped. I do have a sugar free fudgesicle every evening. Some evenings I don't even think about it. I don't bother with sugar free candy because the calories content is the same. I count my calories carefully. WW has a good chocolate ice cream that comes in packages of 2. they are 140 calories. I do pretty well buying those about once a month. I eat one and the other one the next night, but I don't have any urge to get in my car and go get more.

I think the band does help even thought sweets go right down if you are motivated to lose weight. I work too hard at the gym to want to have it all be for nothing.

If I get a sugar or sweet craving I get a sugar-free cake from Publix. One piece of that and you are "white-knuckled" on the toilet!!! Most all of the sugar-free chocolates, cakes, and ice creams are sweetened with a baby laxative. Malitol and sorbitol (spelling?) I am telling you, one piece of that cake and you are rethinking the indulgence. LOL. Oh btw, let me put a disclamer on this due to all the fights breaking out on this site!

This is in my opinion and experience!! Use my post as an experience that I have had. You may not experience this!! I am not stating that you should try this or the same thing will happen to you! I am also NOT saying in anyway that if you get the band or if you have the band that this will kill your sweet cravings. Choose your procedure and actions based on your feelings and common sense! Oh also consult your physician!!

Oh yeah, before my banding, when I was on a diet and got a mad sweet craving I would get strawberry fig newtons. I don't like regular fig newtons. The strawberry ones are really sweet and curbed my sweet craving. I don't know how they'd do post-banding. I agree with Serena though, if you avoid them all together your cravings won't be there. Same goes with fried foods!! If you don't eat them you won't crave them. Oh God, I love fried foods. My mouth is watering just like Homer Simpson's!! <Don't think about them> Serena, I wish I was that strong!!!! Anyways, I got side tracked. If I get an unbearable sweet craving now I reach for a Walmart brand chocolate slim fast. I like them better than brand name slim fast. I use my magic bullet and put about 10 pieces of ice in there and BAM I gotta frosty. Tastes just like wendy's! It is kinda low on protien, only 10g. But hey, its better than cake or ice cream. I hope I find a Protein Shake soon that I like, like the slim fast things. I am still searching!

Weight watchers has snack cakes that are pretty darn good. I forget what the calories are now, haven't had one in a while..

The carrot cake with cream cheese icing.. Mm!!

And I know you're *suppose* to stop craving stuff if you don't eat it.. but I did Atkins diligantly for 4-5 months, not a single gram of sugar the whole time.. and what made me blow the diet was donuts. I just couldn't take it anymore and I kid you not, I ate the whole box of donuts. Maybe 4-5 months isn't long enough to get it out of your system?

They are so pretty, too!! Sigh........ Ok I gotta get a hold on myself. Just think I will look so much better when I loose the donuts around my waist....and legs....and arms....and neck. Ok I'm better now!

Oh btw, let me put a disclamer on this due to all the fights breaking out on this site!

This is in my opinion and experience!! Use my post as an experience that I have had. You may not experience this!! I am not stating that you should try this or the same thing will happen to you! I am also NOT saying in anyway that if you get the band or if you have the band that this will kill your sweet cravings. Choose your procedure and actions based on your feelings and common sense! Oh also consult your physician!![/quote]

Mbanja - you are too frickin funny - maybe we should all put this disclaimer on our signatures :rolleyes:;):eek:

I have been on 2 threads lately where fight were going on - I don't think we have a full moon this week. but something is up.

Just had to tell you I LOVE your disclaimer