Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Surgery Questions

Hi, everyone!

My date to be sleeved is the 22nd, and I'm very excited! I've been so busy lately, I feel like I don't quite have my head on my shoulders. There are a few things I'm wondering (for those who already have had theirs)...

1. What did you take to the hospital? Is there anything you wish you had taken? Anything you took but realized was totally unnecessary?

2. What can I reasonably/roughly expect my first 7 days to look like. I know what's coming in terms of liquid/protein intake, but as far as activity goes, what did your first week look like? How did you spend your time? What was your energy level?

3. At home, my bed is very high. After a long day at work, getting into bed is a challenge. Is it likely I will feel similarly, in your best estimation, after coming home from the hospital? How tender is the abdomen? I'd assume quite, but I also would've assumed chopping off half an organ would've required more than a night or two in a hospital.

4. What is the best advice you have for someone before surgery?

Thank you all so much for any input! You're the best. :)

Sent From BariatricPal App

I personally didn't take anything special to the hospital other than my wife. Day 1 surgery

Day 2 recovery

Day 3 return from Mexico

Day 4 Walmart kicked my ass but Soup broth in a travel coffee mug was heaven

Day 5 intensive Walmart and Safeway shopping

Day 6 busy around the house, smoked chicken, bbq and made-up a nice dinner for 12 friends and family members

Day 7 was crawling the walls and trying not to start working on projects in my garage

Day 8 salmon fishing on the Rogue River

Day 9 back to work!

Your results may vary.

My piece of crap bed went bye bye 2 weeks after surgery. IT was replaced with a sleep number bed. Ahhhhh

Best advice? Research. That and don't cheat!

Hi!

I would recommend you take some thick socks or slippers with you because for some reason I was freezing cold after my op! I am only 4 days post op, so I can only give limited advice because I'm at the start of the journey as well, but I would say the first 2 days were awful for me, I felt terrible. But by day 3 I improved and now on day 4 I feel so much better so just take it easy and listen to your body. If u feel tired like I did just sleep, don't push yourself. I have been sleeping propped up with plenty of pillows being my head and shoulders is a reclined position as my stomach doesn't like being laid down flat for some reason, when I lay flat I bring up a load of slimey saliva which is very strange! Wishing you the very best of luck and I look forward to seeing how you're doing post surgery! X

Sent from my SM-G900F using the BariatricPal App

I personally didn't take anything special to the hospital other than my wife. Day 1 surgery

Day 2 recovery

Day 3 return from Mexico

Day 4 Walmart kicked my ass but Soup broth in a travel coffee mug was heaven

Day 5 intensive Walmart and Safeway shopping

Day 6 busy around the house, smoked chicken, bbq and made-up a nice dinner for 12 friends and family members

Day 7 was crawling the walls and trying not to start working on projects in my garage

Day 8 salmon fishing on the Rogue River

Day 9 back to work!

Your results may vary.

My piece of crap bed went bye bye 2 weeks after surgery. IT was replaced with a sleep number bed. Ahhhhh

Best advice? Research. That and don't cheat!

How was the travel after your surgery? I will also be traveling home after surgery. It will be day 3 for me also so I'm just curious how the plane ride was for you.

Take some slippers and loose clothing, something comfy. Take something to read but more of a magazine than a book because the first couple of days the anaesthetic has you snoozing lots!

The first day and night were rough for me, was waiting for my next lot of pain killers, the gas pain is really uncomfortable and kept feeling really sick! After that each day got better and better, keep moving, little and often! Even on liquids I don't feel low energy levels (sleeved 10/25) but I am always cold!

I didn't find the abdomen was that painful, the incisions were more uncomfortable when trying to get comfy in bed, but a nice soft pillow helped!

Best advice... There's light at the end of the tunnel... We're all on a journey, try and stay positive. Everyday were on step closer to out destination

GOOD LUCK!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Travel was fine. The only thing was difficult was finding sugar free drinks in the airport. I finally found Vitamin Water zero in San Diego so I bought 2 of them. In San Francisco I found a "diner" that had chicken noodle Soup. I asked for just the broth and they were good with that.