Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phase 3 Foods~BIG problem!

Did you have restriction during phase 3 foods?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you have restriction during phase 3 foods?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • Somewhat...
    • I couldn't tell...

Today I started phase 3 foods. I had about 2/3 cup of tuna. I don't feel like I have any restriction at all. I stopped before the last bite because I had a very small feeling of being full, but I don't know if that is restriction. Can somebody help me?

Also, phase 3 foods are confusing to me. This is what I did:

1/2 can tuna in the food processor with 2 Tbsp pickles (no skin), mayo and mustard and S&P. Mixed that with the other 1/2 of the can of tuna for a better consistancy. Is this right?

What am I suppose to do with an egg? Egg salad?

Can I eat lettuce yet?

I'm confused! Please help me with the restriction questions and maybe a few tips on food ideas...

Thanks!:)

By "Phase 3", I am assuming you are referring to a soft diet. (At least this is what it is for us). Soft diet is just that - soft, tender foods such as fish, Beans (refried are great). eggs are fine - soft poached, boiled etc. I had a pickled egg today - a bit high in sodium, but it was great. I roasted peppers and took the skins off - same with tomatoes - the skins are what could pose a problem, so I'll just avoid them for now.

I have been advised to stay away from chicken, beef, and pork this week, just to be sure I avoid the food from getting stuck - that could induce vomitting which is not something we want to have happen at this stage. Hope that helps.

Cindy

Cindy ~ Yeah, the same goes for Lopez patients. Our phase 3 foods are eggs, tuna, cheese, cotto, etc. Soft foods I guess. I hear some people refer to this stage as the 'mushies', but my doctor didn't use that term. When I ate the tuna today I felt like it was going down without a problem. I got scared! I don't know if that's how it's suppose to be. I guess I am also hoping I am one of those patients who doesn't need a fill right away, ya know?

Thanks a lot!

Dana

Funny, tuna is one of those sticky foods for me, guaranteed to always may me a bit uncomfortable, even 3 years down the track.

Dont worry about a lack of restriction at this stage - its entirely normal and that's what fills are for. Just try to stick within the limits to keep weight coming off and hold on for that first fill.

just go to the food section of this board. there are a lot of suggestions for this phase.

You're not going to feel much or any restriction without a fill. A lot of people really can't feel any until about 3 fills.

when you get restriction, trust me you will know it. I had nothing from surgery until about three months down the road. I was ready to quit, and actually did, told my 5 year old daddy was going to die, because I didn't feel any different and I couldn't stop eating on my own.

Fast forward a couple more fills and BAMMM. If you have to ask if you have restriction, you don't have it yet, it will come though, be patient/

Depending on you band it may take a long time to get there. My good buddy got restricion after three or four fills, his band only hold 10 cc though, I think he was about 6.75 when his kicked in. I have the 14 cc band and am at about 10.75, i think. So i took a shitload of fills to get there.

I though I had blew my pouch out for a while, because I just kept taking more and more, then, like i said, SHAZAMM, oh, hello, there you are.

If you don't feel it now keep getting filled, you will.

good luck

brian

Lucky, my stage 3 is actually soft food/normal food so I dunno, I think for the first 4 days or so I might do soft food and then try and slowly putting other things in but it's also annoying because I'm only going to be on the soft/normal stage for about a week before I go for my first fill, so they haven't timed it very well. So it's going to be a bit annoying, I'll be just getting use to normal food, then I'll have to have a fill, go back to the liquid stage and then re introduce food again. Ugh so confusing!

Hello I was banded on Dec. 10 I have had 3 fills ...My question which I hope someone answers is I can only take 3 bites of anything weather muschie, fish, chicken and if I do more then that it comes right back up...Is this normal? Please help I seem to never get answered back..Thanks aqnd Smooches

weight.png

Edited by harleyhottie0612
ticker update

I am a month into eating "real" food (my doctor doesn't define phases in the same way, but I'm eating solid Protein and vegetables), and do not have good restriction yet. I'm close, and I can tell it's on the horizon---but I still don't reliably get "all done!" signals or stay satisfied for longer than an hour or two.

For your question about what to do with an egg--again, it depends on what your doctor recommends. For mine, scrambling, poaching, cooking it any way that it was still soft--would have been okay.

harleyhottie--It sounds as though your band might be a little tight. Call your doctor, describe what's going on, and see if s/he wants to to a tiny unfill. It might make a huge difference. (Also, if your questions are getting overlooked, remember that they're more likely to be seen if you start your own thread rather than bury them in responses to someone else's question. More people will see them that way.)

If you're like most people, you probably should expect a period of time when you weigh and measure food because your band does not yet give you the "enough!" signal, or keep food in your tiny little pouch long enough to send an, "I'm really satisfied!" message to your brain.

You may be lucky and get good restriction quite rapidly--but by and large, it requires a handful of fills to really get there.

Thanks so much...I am calling today to take some of the fill out ...I can't even eat more then 3 tablespoons of mashed potatoes funny I'm not hungry but know I need to eat..Thanks again for replying to my post smooches Stacey

My soft diet is a two week period between between between clear & full liquids/mushies and fully normal foods. I can eat add ground meats, fish, cooked veges, soft fruits and things like that. I must say that I battled hunger real bad during the five week liquids and mushie stage but having a little more solid food in me and because my big stomach has shrunk I don't feel as hungry all the time. It's a great feeling.

I approached my soft foods stage carefully because I wasn't sure how my tummy would handle it and I'm not having any problems. I started with 2-3 cc in my band from surgery and next Wednesday will have my first fill. So the next hurdle will be to see how these foods do after being filled (with a couple days of liquids and mushees until the fill settles down). A week after that I will start fully normal foods. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything stays down and doesn't get stuck!