Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm having surgery on November 11th and I'm set on the VSG but have been worried that that might not be the best option because I do get heart burn when I eat high fat foods. It's not an everyday occurrence but every couple of months if I splurge I do get heartburn

Has anyone else had the VSG who has heartburn every once in a while?? Any information you have learned through experience or from your doctor would be very much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have the Exact same problem. I'm going with the Sleeve because Bypass scares the crap out of me.

Just out of curiosity why does bypass scare the crap out of you?

I was going to have the sleeve and then because of reflux we decided the better surgery for me was bypass. I was scared to death to because all of the horror stories.

I spent some time with both my bariatric team, my gastroenterologist as well as many bypass patients.

I was most afraid of the malabsorption component. I then learned very quickly that it actually helps you to lose weight and honestly both bypass and sleeve patients have to have blood work and take Vitamins for life. The biggest thing they warned me about was not going in for yearly nutritional panels and skipping Vitamins.

As long as you do that which you also have to do with the sleeve as well, you should be good.

I am two years post op, have lost all my weight and comorbitities, am very healthy and thank god every day that i went bypass as i have not even had a simple case of heartburn since the day i woke up from surgery.

Spend some time and really research so you make the best choice for your health. I have seen way too many sleeve patients then have to revise to bypass anyway. I decided i was only going through this one time in my life.

Both surgeries are equally as aggressive. The sleeve removes 90% of your stomach, the bypass reroutes.

Just my two cents....take it for what it is worth but don't be afraid, be educated about your choices.

Just out of curiosity why does bypass scare the crap out of you?

I was going to have the sleeve and then because of reflux we decided the better surgery for me was bypass. I was scared to death to because all of the horror stories.

I spent some time with both my bariatric team, my gastroenterologist as well as many bypass patients.

I was most afraid of the malabsorption component. I then learned very quickly that it actually helps you to lose weight and honestly both bypass and sleeve patients have to have blood work and take Vitamins for life. The biggest thing they warned me about was not going in for yearly nutritional panels and skipping Vitamins.

As long as you do that which you also have to do with the sleeve as well, you should be good.

I am two years post op, have lost all my weight and comorbitities, am very healthy and thank god every day that i went bypass as i have not even had a simple case of heartburn since the day i woke up from surgery.

Spend some time and really research so you make the best choice for your health. I have seen way too many sleeve patients then have to revise to bypass anyway. I decided i was only going through this one time in my life.

Both surgeries are equally as aggressive. The sleeve removes 90% of your stomach, the bypass reroutes.

Just my two cents....take it for what it is worth but don't be afraid, be educated about your choices.

I wasn't afraid, but when making my decision I believed a restrictive procedure would work well for me. I didn't have any of the conditions that indicate RNY is the better option. I wasn't diabetic, sugar was not my "drug" if choice so the threat of dumping held no sway for me. I didn't have GERD. You are right that most surgeons require supplements for life with both VSG and RNY (at least mine does) but the threat of Vitamin deficiency is less with VSG because you absorb all you take in. Those were my concerns and why I chose VSG.

I've now converted to RNY because I developed severe GERD post surgery. Was I happy about it? No, not at the time. Other than the fact it was trying to kill me, I had a perfect sleeve. No food issues, my labs as far as vitamins/minerals were perfect. But the acid was killing me. I converted 3 months ago and for the most part, don't notice a difference. I still take my supplements. I still eat Protein forward. I still avoid sugars. It makes me sad when people who are clearly suffering with reflux dismiss RNY out of hand. If I had it prior to my surgery, there's no way in hell I would have gone forward with VSG and hoped for the best. It would have been RNY from the start

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@stacyrg2

Well I am glad to hear things are going well for you now.

I do get frustrated when people automatically dismiss one or the other surgery without understanding that both delivery amazing results, both are equally as invasive and bother require Vitamins and blood testing for life.

I think i get frustrated because so many people tried to talk me out of bypass and of course were super uninformed. I honestly think people should not make up their minds until they have all the facts and a surgeon has helped them work through what might be the best option for them given their current health situation.

To your point, I have heard frequently that folks that never had reflux end up with it after the sleeve. It is a chance people take and most of the time it works out fine but those that even have a slight reflux should really consider all of their options.