Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Myself!

Nothing to do with weight loss but I have to rant about myself. I have been looking for a job the last month or so. So I get an in person interview and I don't speak clear along with words become brain farts. I need a job its something I'm trying to succeed with. I have one tomorrow but I just feel what's the point if I can't speak clearly!? Or why bother bc they judge me on a screw up interview when in fact I'm a hard worker and do things to exceeded expectations

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Change your focus. Don't think of it as "win/I got the job, lose/I didn't" Think of it as "my goal is to help this person doing the hiring to make a decision." When you realize that with that as a goal, you can't lose, the pressure comes off you. You don't think of yourself as a self conscious piece of meat, but as a fellow human being. The new confidence will ooze out.

BTW, I know this works because I applied it to my time doing fundraising. I initially went into it thinking, "if they don't give, they are rejecting me." And that was NOT true. They just didn't like the offer or the program, or they couldn't give right now. Once I went in with the "I want them to make a decision" mindset, bam, everything changed for the good. I couldn't lose. I was confident and happy.

Nothing to do with weight loss but I have to rant about myself. I have been looking for a job the last month or so. So I get an in person interview and I don't speak clear along with words become brain farts. I need a job its something I'm trying to succeed with. I have one tomorrow but I just feel what's the point if I can't speak clearly!? Or why bother bc they judge me on a screw up interview when in fact I'm a hard worker and do things to exceeded expectations

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am job hunting right now and certainly understand.

One of the most valuable things I have been doing is mock interviewing. I have been working with a career counselor. Mock interviewing is a great way to practice and prepare for interviews.

I once saw a documentary about Princess Diana when she was being taught to speak publicly. She tended, as most do, to speak very quickly and it made her seem nervous and harder to understand. They taught her to speak so slowly that it felt completely unnatural, but it comes across to the audience as the perfect pace. Deep breathing, and remembering to breathe WHILE speaking also kept her from appearing to be in a cold sweat even when she was.

I am fortunate to have had theatre experience (high school drama classes/club) but as an adult I needed reminded of a lot of the things I'd learned. I tend to freeze up and talk too fast, tripping over my words, in interviews and public speaking. But practicing, even with just myself (but mock interviews with friends or recruiters really help) smiling and speaking slowly and preparing answers for the questions I am likely to get (there's tons of resources on the 'net about questions to prepare for interviews - both things they might ask and things you should ask) as if I'm preparing for a debate... that's how I have gotten to be quite good at interviewing. If I get an in-person interview, about 90% of the time I get called back for a second interview. And of the second interviews, I get a job offer about 80% of the time. Project confidence, even if you don't feel you have any. :D

Best of luck!! Interviewing is stressful, even after you get better at it.

I make a list of questions I think may be asked and rehearse different answers including speaking slowly and confidently. I always have, and have taught my children to get to the interview 30 minutes early. In the car practice my prepared introduction then slow, deep breathes, being mindful of relaxing the body and dropping the shoulders with each one for 15-20 minutes while thinking positive thoughts. Good luck

Edited by cbonet