Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

<--- I'm with stupid

A few days shy of 10 weeks post op, down 38 pounds (which I think are badass numbers for a low BMIer!), being a perfect newbie sleever going by the book, zero nausea, perfect experience...then last night...

Went looking at houses - literally - all day. Brought my Quest bar to snack on and propel to sip. Underestimated how long I'd be looking & by the end of the day I felt soooo irritable, weak and upset that I started second guessing my entire life. Extreme thoughts began to manifest: maybe I was an idiot to break up with my ex (who screamed at me & treated me horribly), I should just quit my job...who needs the hassle for money when I don't need that much to eat anymore, I'll never find a house to buy, maybe I'll be alone forever....and so on.

Then I ate dinner. Way. Too. Fast. Then my perfect streak of zero vom sessions became 1. At a fancy restaurant. Thank goodness I made it to the bathroom.

Then I went on a coffee date with a hot guy and realized that I was perfectly happy, love my job, will absolutely find a house, and should remember that POST-OP HUNGER FEELS DIFFERENT THAN PRE-OP!! My world-is-over inner monologue was merely a reminder that I needed to eat! And, I will be better prepared for all day trips so I never reach that horrible place again. Thanks for letting me vent!

How does hunger feel differently to you post-op?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Who knew what an emotional roller coaster post-op hunger could be?!? Lol

So yeah... "hunger" for me now is "hanger". I turn into a total bit** when I have gone 3-4 hours without eating. I warned my new boyfriend about it, but he was totally unprepared for the reality when it actually happened. Any time I'm out with my mom all day, she carries Snacks for me in her purse and forces them on me at the first sign of hanger. :P

LOL... I love the Betty White/Snickers Commercial your hangry story reminds me of You're not YOU when you're hungry.

Anyways I've been fortunate to not experience hunger to that extent. I get these little gentle reminders like a slight squeeze in my stomach a little tummy rumbling if it's been over 3-4 hours but otherwise nothing real dramatic. If I start doing something and get distracted I'll forget all about it and forget to eat. I try to keep Snacks in the car or in my purse because when I have a free moment I could eat some Jerky or string cheese or apple slices just so I don't starve myself. I was really good at ignoring my hunger pre op too. Could go the whole day without a crumb and then gorge on a juicy porterhouse, coconut shrimp, baked potato with extra butter and sour cream and cheese and whatever we had to drink-- Pepsi, Sprite, Apple juice.

Now when I forget to eat the most I can gorge on is 5 apple slices. I can't make up the deficits of a days worth of calories in one meal nor is that healthy to do. So I when I get gentle reminders I'll have a light snack or sips of Water and that usually does it. I LOVE MY SLEEVE!

At least you've figured out what was going on and didn't make any rash decisions while in the thick of it! And now you've learned and will be able to hopefully prevent another "hangry" episode - or at least recognize it.

You are doing great by the way!

At least you've figured out what was going on and didn't make any rash decisions while in the thick of it! And now you've learned and will be able to hopefully prevent another "hangry" episode - or at least recognize it.

You are doing great by the way!

Damn straight on the not making rash decisions...I didn't realize when I started that hormones are stored in fat, during rapid weightloss you get flooded. I'm a guy and effected me. I would find myself wanting to watch chick flics and dang near crying, and then want to do a Navy Seal workout. It was up and down all the time. Thankfully there was a post I found that explained the phenomena. So be aware of this. On the plus side if you don't like your mood, wait a few minutes it might change ;-)

I had my first hangry moment at about 2 weeks out. My husband and I were running errands after a workout, and I had not packed enough Protein for the outing. By the time I got home, I was so ravenous that I gorged on runny mashed potatoes (still on liquids), got the foamies and STILL hadn't gotten my protein! Finally, after that subsided and I was able to drink again, I had my protein and was better. It's a learning experience, for sure!

Yeah, I kind of panic about becoming hungry, so I get REAL pissy if I'm past a feeding schedule. I know if I get honest to goodness hungry, I run the risk of making terrible choices because I frankly just don't care at that point. That's why my motto is if I fail to plan, I plan to fail.

@@Babbs "If you don't plan, you plan to fail"...that is a good motto. It's why I keep rescue food with me.

Ehm...anyone not familiar with the term rescue food, what I mean is I have Protein sources with me usually different jerkeys (yes they are high in sodium, but they are are low carb, and usually low calorie, but high in protein) and also Protein powder. These will supplement me and keep me from getting frustrated and grabbing chips etc. when I am unexpectedly stuck.

Jerkey is a good idea. It keeps more easily than most other things

Jerkey is a good idea. It keeps more easily than most other things

Yes, it is a good idea. I can't tell you how many baggies of old, melted cheese I have found at the bottom of my purse! LOL

I try to take Jerky with me and a Water bottle when getting in the car. Always have Fluid and Jerky is a good condensed way to get some Protein in. I learned the hard way. I dont get hungry anymore just feel horribly sick. We have to learn the new signs our tummy is giving us.

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App