Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever miss.....

I have had filet. Plus bonus, I get to have filet the next day when I eat the rest!

I am 6 weeks post op and had Mexican and a filet this week! It's nice to be able to go out with friends and not have the focus be on food but rather on the company and conversation.

Celebrated a birthday last week......went to a Mexican restaurant and ate a delicious meal.

Went to a football game Saturday and tailgated with the best of them and enjoyed margaritas all day.

My sleeve is working for me this week to allow me to offset my birthday fun.

I go out every Friday w a group of friends. What I enjoy is fitting in these size 12 jeans. Lol...I seriously don't miss the frantic noshing that goes on at the table. I have given up beef, so I'll have a salad with chicken or bean Soup. Plus I've discovered a terrific stand in for margaritas. Deep Eddy's lemonade vodka and Water w a twist of lime. Delish.

The positive so outweighs the negatives;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

i've had both filet and margaritas ;) i socialize and go out a lot, and so far i haven't had any problems or felt left out. in fact, i think it's the opposite. i am not at my goal weight yet, but i definitely feel more comfortable at my current weight than my starting weight - so i enjoy being out and about more. and at the restaurant, i feel like i am eating an appropriate amount - i either order a small steak and just eat about 3 oz of it - or usually i will split a steak with someone. and as far as a margarita goes - it is definitely not the healthiest of choices, but if i know i am going to want one i plan for it and indulge without feeling guilty. and before surgery i would probably have had more than one (and included a lot of chips) - now i am totally fine with just one (if that!). i love feeling like i am in control of my eating and that i don't leave the restaurant feeling totally stuffed because i just ate an enormous plate of food.

@@fancypants11578

The amount of time you can't have things is really short. People focus on that, but really that is just the first 6 months.

I had a filet on Sunday, and lobster, took me a while, and I didn't have any sides but it was delicious.

I didn't drink alcohol before surgery and I still don't no desire.

For myself, I'm actually much more happy that I now "think" about what I should eat or should not eat before I make my final choice for a meal. Before, there were no limits: if I wanted it I ate it. If it wasn't in the house I had it delivered. If it meant getting up and driving to a grocery store at all hours of the day I never thought twice.

Before surgery my food choices were unlimited. Now I consider the ultimate ramifications of bad food choices. I ask myself: is it really worth it? And invariably it isn't. I never did this before. I realize (for myself and my life) that going out to eat might be a potential trigger so I limit it to very special occasions. I never truly appreciated before just how much of social get togethers revolve around food.

Everything in life boils down to personal choices, and what's right for one isn't always right for another. In my case, I steer away from going out to eat. The same way I no longer add salt or sugar to my food, or eat bread , sweets, and Pasta. It works for me. And WLS is what made it happen. For the record, I never feel like I'm "missing out on something" either. I much prefer my life now to the way it was before.

You didn't say how for out you are, but I am 5 weeks out, and yes! Right now, I totally miss these things! My husband and I still occasionally go out to eat, but I have had some troubles with the food at such an early stage. Also, I have had a sip of his margarita (which was not stirred up and mostly tequila) and I could tell I wasn't ready for it. I could feel the burn of the alcohol all the way down to my stomach (I was a big drinker before surgery, so that's unusual for me). I know it won't be like this forever, so I am trying to be patient and wait for my body to be ready for these things.

No, because I can still have those things. I eat steak all the time, and drink alcohol occasionally.

In the beginning, it's easy to get short sighted and think never. For those of us who have children, remember when they were newborns and we used to think "I'm never going to be able to go out and have fun again!" But then one day, we could? But we still knew we were responsible for a child, so we did it occasionally and responsibly?

Yeah, its like that.

So I travel to Puerto Vallarta every january/February... I know things are going to be different and that okay.. I'm just wondering will I be able to have margaritas? (Virgin or not doesn't matter to me)

My surgery date is October 12th and my next trip planned is January 20th ?

Sent from my SM-G870W using the BariatricPal App

Margaritas unless you get a low carb specialty mix, have a ton of sugar. If you are going to drink, something like Vodka tonic would be better.

We are told even small amounts of alcohol could cause major dumping, so not worth that chance. Have dumped before. Don't care to repeat it.

Did I have a period of mourning for "lost" foods? Yes. Am I over it? Yes!

Hubby and I go to a Mexican place and he orders steak/chicken fajitas. I scrape about 2/3 c of meat and veggies onto an extra plate. He eats the rest and we are both satisfied. I might eat some of the refried Beans and cheese, if there are any.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App