Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The cure for sore butt

I have tried out three chairs trying to get used to my lack of padding back there. So after much research I have invested in a standing desk.

I went with the Victor (only one for under $500 with dual monitor support that I could switch easily from sitting to standing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VELI3X0/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (They bumped the price up after I bought it, so look for sales, mine, was $245).

I work at home, so I'm getting used to putting on shoes to go to work again. I would also suggest a good pad for your feet. I attached a diagram to show you what heights are best.

But my productivity has noticeably improved since I made the switch.

So if the lack of padding is hurting the backside, try it out. You can always return it.

post-239352-0-81441200-1473738571_thumb.png

post-239352-0-22076600-1473738574_thumb.jpg

Good luck with that.

Have you tried dough-nut style cushions or pregnancy cushions, they protect your coccyx.

I used them at seminars if they were long and chairs were uncomfortable, and this was in my pre-weight gain days.

They worked for me.

I've read that we start sitting differently as we gain weight, and the trick is to learn to sit with your weight on your thighs and not on your tailbone as you lose weight. Not working for me so far, I keep forgetting and sitting back. My knees won't take a standing desk unfortunately. :(

It's not just my coccyx, it's the ischial tuberosities. It hurts to "rock" on them!

I have foam cushions on the chairs at my desk & sewing machine. I also got an inflatable donut cushion to carry with me. I find I need it when riding as a passenger in my car but not when I'm driving & I need it in the recliner when watching TV.

Standing desks are all the rage, sitting too much is not good for any of us no matter what we weigh.

I know people who work from home and have 2 desks so they can alternate sitting and standing.

I have seen desks you can raise and lower so you can sit or stand depending on how you feel.

The cheapest way to try a standing desk at home is to go to Ikea and get one of those table top desks with adjustable legs. Super cheap, you can extend the legs so you can try standing to work.

Anyway, good luck with your desk!

@@laceemouse - I'm really enjoying standing. This desk top is nice because it adjusts to sitting quickly (turn a knob, push down). But to tell you the truth I prefer standing. Well actually I usually have music on when I'm working so I'll keep working on my dancing while I'm typing. [side note, dating a lady who can dance is new to me, so it is nice to be able to work on my skills at work.]

I went to a physiotherapist for an issue that sounds the same. Had it for a year! She told me my butt was weak. Started doing exercises, they helped a little. But it went away on its own I think. Not sure if that is helpful at all. Maybe your butt needs time to adjust

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Has anyone tried a balance ball chair? They look like they would be a nice option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Memory foam -if all else fails go to wallly world or discount place . get an egg crate mattress pad twin probably smallest now stitch a pillowcase up . make it about size of chair bottom, sew up three sides then stuff it full . what I did once is measure twice as wide and then folded it up 3-4 x and then whipped the other side shut. I d leave the top with the points up on it so you'll have some air flow.