Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Cheating" on the liquid diet

Hi guys, I am to be sleeved on July 12th. My surgeon wanted me to do three weeks of liquid diet. From the first appointment till now I have been eating right, walking and have not cheated at all! I take a medication that makes me hungry...bad! So, I have been doing the shakes, one eggs in the morning, greek yogurt for snack and half a piece of fish, with steamed veggies (small portion/no butter). I've lost a total of 32 lbs. With my current state of hunger it is very difficult to eat only liquids. I am ready to do it after the surgery, for sure. But I get so hungry I want to vomit and am nausious quite often. I guess this is normal and should buckle down and do it! Thanks

Edited by illuminationlady

@@illuminationlady

The liquid diet is to shrink your liver to make surgery easier, not for weight loss. So it is more important than the other diet you have been on.

What is it about liquids that makes you vomit? If you can't handle just liquids now, how are you going to be able to after surgery? You need to talk to your medical team about this.

I would be more concerned about how you are going to manage post-op as well. If you are doing very low carbs - you most likely have shrunk your liver but you need to talk to your team about this.

To echo the others, you need to bring this up with your surgical team asap. For me I had to do full liquids only for two weeks before surgery, and for the first 4 weeks after. It wasn't easy during the pre op phase, but it makes me worry for you if it makes you physically sick to be on liquids only. Call your surgeons office in the morning and see what they say. Good luck!

Find a Protein you can tolerate try lots. Unflavored powder to add to anything or some of the waters or different shakes. I hear you it is awful I have never dreamed of an egg so much. But protein is critical so I am forcing it to work.

I saw my doctor today. Had all preop done and started the liquid diet today. Also saw my therapist. I'm gonna be just fine. Thanks guys!!

I did it! Day one down. My doctor did say I could have a half a piece of fish or chicken with dinner. I had the fish. So so proud of myself. My therapist helped, as well. She had RNY 8 years ago to cure her diabetes.