Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Merry Christmas!

Hello! Looks like I am the first one here. I was supposed to get banded in April, then May, and then we finally figured out that my insurance won't pay for it till I have been specifically and ONLY for weight loss (visits for that topic only) for 6 mos. So that's where I am at. After 6 mos of doctoring for weight loss if I have not lost weight I will be approved for the lapband. So, looks like it will be my Christmas present!!!! Let's hope!!!

Anyone else aiming for December?? :whoo:

hello,

yes i am shooting for december also . had to do the 6 month weight loss for the insurance and my last appt is beginning of dec. so hopefully all will be approved before christmas.. keep your fingers crossed

Hi there. Me too. I am hoping for December. I finished my pre-op testing today and only awaiting clearance from the cardiologist and the stress test I had today. My primary care doctor wanted that last piece before she would clear me for surgery. She wasn't expecting anything but with my history of arthritis, she said my heart hasn't been challenged aerobically in a long time and she wanted to see what I would do. As far as I know, the test went well.

The only reason for me to wait until December is that I have a vacation scheduled for the end of November and I am currently in a 21 week liquid diet program at the hospital. It doesn't end until the 20th of October and there is not enough time to heal and be prepared to go out of the country less than a month later. My insurance didn't require the liquid diet but my BMI was too high and I wanted a safe surgery. I actually have been losing since February and started the liquid diet the first of June. I lost 18 pounds on my own in 4 months just watching what I ate.

I will be transitioning back to food at the end of next week. It will be a slow transition spaced over 7 weeks. I plan then to eat regular food until it's time to do my pre-op liquids for 2 days before surgery. My surgeon requires 3 weeks liquid and 3 weeks mushies post-op. I don't anticipate that being a problem for me, because of what I am going through now. I see that by being balanced nutionally, I don't feel week or deprived on my liquid diet.

I have a second appointment with the surgeon next Tuesday. I should find out after that an actual date. I didn't start this journey until May so it's been relatively short for me. Good luck to all of us.

Hola everyone.

I'm aiming for Dec/Jan, inbetween semesters. I was hoping to get it done in October, but it's not going to work out with school.

I'm a self pay, low BMI bandster, headed for Mexico. I'm trying to pick my surgeon. Anyone else going to Mexico for their surgery?

I believe the next order of business is to pick a nickname for our group, so we can get glittery graphics for our forum sigs.:confused: Anyone have any suggestions? The Merry Losers? The Chanukkah Half-Weights? Kwanza...ah...ah...Hm. Ah, any other suggestions? ;)

Hi all!

I'm aiming for December as well. My busy season for work is October and November and then things slow way down in December so I'm hoping to go the first week or so of December. This should give me enough time to heal up and be "normal" enough for the holidays. :) I'm not a big Christmas eater so that won't really be a problem for me as far as feeling deprived.

I'm going to try to get back to the exercising before the surgery so I can be in the habit. I have a nice gym membership that I have paid for for 4 years now and have never gone consistently.

Sghatl - You're doing great so far on your own and with the liquid diet. Great job!! It sounds like you are really invested in your journey.

TheFox - I'm also self pay, semi low BMI, headed for Mexico and still trying to pick my doctor. I have it narrowed down to about 3 or 4 with 2 coming up toward the top. We should talk and maybe we'll end up with the same doctor!

I like the "Merry Losers"! :)

Hey Hungry, what Doc's are you looking into? We should definitely compare notes.

Right now I'm floating between Aceves and Rumbaut. I'd considered Ortiz but have been hearing complaints from recent patients about a factory style of care, and a lack of help with follow up care. I was all aimed up to go to Kuri, because he's very well reccomended but then I found out my BMI is too low for him. He won't do anyone below 35, I'm 33.3. I think it's the only time in my life I've been disapointed to not weigh more! Aceves and Rumbaut come highly reccomended, and from what I can tell have very low complication rates (including slippage/erosion). Who are you looking into?

Well Aceves and Rumbaut were the two at the top of my list! Ortiz was #3 but I am concerned about the factory style of care and no longer providing any sort of after care as well. We must be reading the same threads. :)

Between Aceves and Rumbaut I need to compare their level of after care and if that pans out the same then I will go by price and convenience of travel. Both seem to have wonderful track records, have the experience, the personality, the level of care, etc.

I was leaning more toward Rumbaut a little more because he has had the procedure himself and everyone cannot say enough about his personality. Obviously personality isn't everything but having personal knowledge and experience is a huge plus when combined with his experience and excellent track record.

Got the news last Thursday that I passed all my pre-op testing and got clearance for surgery. Today I found out that my secondary insurance approved me for surgery. Looks like I won't have to pay a cent out of pocket for the procedure. I am so excited.

The surgeon scheduled my last medical appointment before surgery for October 5th. I have to sign consent form and have an upper GI done that day. He will phone a few days later with an actual date. I can wait that long. We are aiming for early December as I won't get back from my vacation until December 2nd. I will only have to do 2 days pre-op liquids. I can do that since I drank nothing but liquids for 15 weeks

Last Friday I got solids for the first time on this diet. I get to have 2 oz. meat, 1 serving of vegetables and 1 serving of fruit for dinner. This Friday I get to add another serving of vegetables. Then each week for 7 weeks I get to add back more food like 2 weeks from now I get to add lunch. I will be back fully on food October 19th. Then the dieting is on my own until December. I really do need to get off as much as possible before surgery

I like the name Merry Losers

Ortiz was #3 but I am concerned about the factory style of care and no longer providing any sort of after care as well. We must be reading the same threads.

Or we are brain sharing. *cues twilightzone music* :car:

I've got the info in pricing, if you're interested: Dr. Rumbaut it's $10,600. It's $9,500 on special "fare saver" days, days the hospital offers the surgereons a lower cost, but its only a couple of days out of every month. Or, if two people schedule the surgery at the same time it's $9,500. Dr. Aceves is $8,200. I know that in some ways he's lot easier to reach since he's so close to San Diego.

I'm really pretty torn about who to go to myself. Let me know what you find out about aftercare, I'm not exactly sure how I can pan that information out. And, call me a baby, but I *HATE* calling the Doc's or their patient co-ords.

Lost 3.8 pounds this week to put my total at 54. As you can see I have no trouble losing but have trouble maintaining. That is why I am having the lapband surgery. It will help me with Portion Control. I usually pick the right things - just too much of it.