Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Acid Reflux!

I was getting along fabulously until at about 6 months I awoke from a deep sleep with the strongest bile in my mouth I have ever experienced. It reoccurred in a few weeks, then I started having stomach pains in my lower left quadrant, AND periodic heartburn during the day.

My docs said it was two different problems:

• a) I needed to start a probiotic, and
  • B) switch from tums and rolaids to prilosec for two weeks.

I did this, and it worked for a week, then started again.

Now I do Ranotine or prilosec nearly every day, and LOTS of ant-acids in between.

My local (non-bariatric) doc says it may be for the rest of my life.

I am starting to have more trouble eating, and often awake in the middle of the night with sore stomach, heartburn and from bile - erping.

I'd like to see an end of this discomfort.

Is there any hope?

You may just need a different med for a while to get it under control. I have been taking a PPI (pantoprozole) since surgery. Hoping I can go off at my 1 year visit but not sure yet. Will let you know what my dr says. Meanwhile, you might inquire about getting a prescription for pantoprozole (brand is Protonix) and take it for a 3 week round and see if it resolves.

Hi Which Surgery Did You Have? Mine Is In A Few Weeks I'm Doing The Bypass Because I Want Have To Deal With Gerd As I Would If I Did The Sleeve I Have Bad Heartburn Now And I Haven't Had My Surgery Yet I Hope That You Feel Better Soon.

Hi , I had surgery in 2005 when I went back to solid food that's when the problem started. But after being admitted to many different hospitals they have found the answer to why I have been so I'll. I have a ruptured staple line and a structure. I will go in some time in September for a by pass . Big op but we will have some quality of life. Are they going to do something about yours? Speak soon

You may have a hiatal hernia. You may want to request an upper GI or an endoscopy. If you can, you may want to go back to your Bariatric surgeon for advice. I was about a year out and started pushing back on the response I was getting from the PA at my surgeon's office. I had a hiatal hernia repair during the VSG in June 2016. Here I am a year later still on omaprezole and the acid was getting worse. They did the upper GI. One surgeon thought I had another hernia, but a small one. The other thought I didn't. They split the difference and recommended the endoscopy. Turns out I have a large hiatal hernia and inflammation of my esophagus and they strongly recommended surgical repair.

So, I'll have it done the first week of October after I've finished a lot of planned travel. Long term use of antiacids can have a lot of bad side effects, and they don't necessarily prevent the acid from inflaming your esophagus, they just help you not feel it. That can lead to other problems.

So, that's my story, and why I recommend you get it checked out further. If not by your surgeon, by a GI doctor, not a PCP. Good luck!