Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:angryI am so frustrated with the 6 month supervised diet. My surgery will be covered by my insurance if I complete a 6 month supervised diet first. Now I know that I should be thankful when so many people have to self pay but I have been on diets for the last 19 years, and I have only gotten heavier. I am afraid for my health and I finally found something that may help me get a handle on things and now I have to wait. And I don't understand all the details yet. Do I have to do the diet and then in 6 months when it hasn't worked well enough then do I start all the other things I have to do before the surgery or can I do them while I am dieting. I am afraid I will lose all hope. I hope someone out there in Bandland can share how it was for them if they had to do this.

:help:

Relax, let me guess you have Aetna? or maybe not. A LOT of companies require this. You just have to play their game. Basically, from the insurance standpoint they want to see if you can stick to something for 6 months before they pay out a whole lot of money for something that you will have to stick to for a lifetime. Its a game... They are not expecting to see you lose a bunch of weight supervised only to then turn you down. If you do what the Doc's say for six months and only lose 1 lb or none at all, you will still be approved. Just play their reindeer games sweetie! It will all work out. I know you're frustrated. This will all pay off. Hang in there!

Hi Queen, I hear your pain! I am sure I can teach the nutrionist a few thing:D But my husband made a good point when I was grumbling about How I have all the books dr. phil, ww, bob green, three our diet, SB Curves, was a member of curves for over a year and we belong to a local gym that I actully use blah blah. He said "but Hon, just think of the prize when you do all the work they want you to!" He is so right. I am not the most patient person in the world, So I was not real happy to find out I had to go on dieting for 6 more months before I could get approve. I been on WW since may and I loose really really really slow. I am going the seminar Wednesday and I still have to find the nurtrisnist. I don't know if my diet has to be Documented by the nutritionists or if I can use my Dr. who is the one who put me ww. I am just sticking to it, that way if I can then I already have that amount of time done. I can't, well at least I am eatting right. Not alot of reward when you loose 1 or 2 a month but that is the way my body works. I know it is confusing and over whelming. I have a lot of question but can't get any answers from the sergion because they don't even want to see you until you contact the nutritionists, theripst, seminar, and have what paper work they have on lined filled out. Crazy Crazy Like I seen on here about a questionar you have to fill before the seminar, I did get one so I am afraid that will screw it up. Anyway, just take it one step at a time and don't let the stuff get to you. Just think of the prize:scared:

My insurance - with UHC - requires a 6 month medically supervised diet. I'd recommend double checking to see what the exact requirements are to meet their requirements. If more than 30 days passed between doctor visits - my insurance plan started back at "month 1" - towards the 6 month count.

I could only wish my insurance required only 6 months.......I have to a year!

I will get there, and so will you!

i've been going through this with cigna... for OVER A YEAR!!! my pcp to start didn't agree with my choice in WLS so she in my eyes, purposely omitted information so that i wouldn't get approved. i then moved on to another doctor who said that she supported my decision, but was still skeptical because she lost a patient to gastric bypass. i did my 6 months with her just to find out that there was basically nothing in my chart about my weight loss attempts. i have an appointment next week with my husband's pcp and we're going to try to get a handle on things.. i guess another 6 months won't kill me, right?!?