Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Switching from liquid to mushies

How do you switch? I tried mash potatoes but my stomach started feeling really weird an it was rumbling a lot and making noises.

Plus what type is mushies are the best to eat?

Well, I would stay away from potatoes, they are super high-carb and low Protein. Maybe try some Greek yogurt or cottage cheese. You can also Google Eggface Baked Ricotta to get a delicious recipe for high protein baked cheese & marinara dish that tastes like lasagna.

You want to start with very small amounts -- measure out maybe 3 tablespoons of food (less than a quarter cup) and eat very slowly. If you start to feel like you don't want any more, stop before you finish your measured portions.

Rumbling and grumbling from your stomach is pretty normal, but you don't want to feel pain.

If you are feeling pain or getting sick, go back to liquids for a few days before trying again. The food stages are not a race, and not everyone is ready to progress at the same rate. Good luck!

Well, I would stay away from potatoes, they are super high-carb and low Protein. Maybe try some Greek yogurt or cottage cheese. You can also Google Eggface Baked Ricotta to get a delicious recipe for high protein baked cheese & marinara dish that tastes like lasagna.

You want to start with very small amounts -- measure out maybe 3 tablespoons of food (less than a quarter cup) and eat very slowly. If you start to feel like you don't want any more, stop before you finish your measured portions.

Rumbling and grumbling from your stomach is pretty normal, but you don't want to feel pain.

If you are feeling pain or getting sick, go back to liquids for a few days before trying again. The food stages are not a race, and not everyone is ready to progress at the same rate. Good luck!

Thank you, and I will try that out for sure [emoji16], but another question is; is tuna with light mayo good? And mashed eggs with light mayo good? (Like egg salad just not to much mayo)

@@NatashaSaysRawr tuna with light mayo and egg salad were both things I ate on my puree stage. I had to actually puree the tuna in a food processor according to my team's instructions -- my second phase was "puree" not "mushie." I know it sounds gross but it makes it easier on your stomach. I would puree the tuna with a little light mayo (there's a light chipotle mayo that I like a lot) and put it in a tiny ramekin and sprinkle some shredded cheese on top. Heat it up in the microwave and it's like a tuna casserole without the noodles.

PS I don't mind talking about food suggestions at all, but did your team not give you any instructions? I got a booklet with lists of permitted foods and forbidden foods at each stage, directions on how much to eat, and several suggested recipes. Did your team give you anything like that?

@@NatashaSaysRawr tuna with light mayo and egg salad were both things I ate on my puree stage. I had to actually puree the tuna in a food processor according to my team's instructions -- my second phase was "puree" not "mushie." I know it sounds gross but it makes it easier on your stomach. I would puree the tuna with a little light mayo (there's a light chipotle mayo that I like a lot) and put it in a tiny ramekin and sprinkle some shredded cheese on top. Heat it up in the microwave and it's like a tuna casserole without the noodles.

PS I don't mind talking about food suggestions at all, but did your team not give you any instructions? I got a booklet with lists of permitted foods and forbidden foods at each stage, directions on how much to eat, and several suggested recipes. Did your team give you anything like that?

Didn't give me any recipes, but they said if my stomach can't handle the mushies to purée all my foods till I can handle mushies, mmmm that sounds really good. Did you try a refried bean Soup?

Ditto to everything Bufflehed said. I progressed much slower than my plan allowed, eating only one new thing every few days and only a couple tablespoons at a time. Continued to get most of my Protein from shakes well into my normal solid food stage.

Cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt flavored with Protein powder, refried Beans with cheese and salsa, egg salad, deviled ham, hummus, pureed tuna fish, creamy Peanut Butter, and scrambled eggs were all things I ate in pureed stage. But my number one goto was pureed Soups with unflavored Protein Powder. I ate pretty much any Soup I could find....without noodles or rice of course. If it had chunks I just pureed it. I used Syntrax and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein powder.< /p>

Ditto to everything Bufflehed said. I progressed much slower than my plan allowed, eating only one new thing every few days and only a couple tablespoons at a time. Continued to get most of my Protein from shakes well into my normal solid food stage.

Cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt flavored with Protein powder, refried Beans with cheese and salsa, egg salad, deviled ham, hummus, pureed tuna fish, creamy Peanut Butter, and scrambled eggs were all things I ate in pureed stage. But my number one goto was pureed Soups with unflavored protein powder. I ate pretty much any Soup I could find....without noodles or rice of course. If it had chunks I just pureed it. I used Syntrax and unjury unflavored protein powder.

Is there a way to make cottage cheese taste any good? I never liked it but my nut said I should start having it

If you mix it with Muscle Milk cake batter Protein powder it tastes like cheesecake. Mixed with your favorite salsa. Melted in with scrambled eggs. I also like peaches with cottage cheese.

But hey, if you don't like it don't worry about it. There are plenty of other Protein options

Did you try a refried bean Soup?

No, I just ate refried Beans with a little melted cheese and hot sauce. By the time I moved to purees, my plan had me stop doing any liquid calories other than Protein shakes, so soup was out.

Did you try a refried bean Soup?

No, I just ate refried Beans with a little melted cheese and hot sauce. By the time I moved to purees, my plan had me stop doing any liquid calories other than Protein shakes, so soup was out.

I would try it with hot sauce but they said to stay away for some reason

If you mix it with Muscle Milk cake batter Protein powder it tastes like cheesecake. Mixed with your favorite salsa. Melted in with scrambled eggs. I also like peaches with cottage cheese.< /p>

But hey, if you don't like it don't worry about it. There are plenty of other protein options

Will try that thank you. But isn't eggs more as of a solid?

Scrambled eggs were on my list of purees. I actually added Water when I scrambled them to make them super moist and soft....my grandma used to make them that way. Adding the cottage cheese makes them even more moist.

Cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt flavored with Protein powder, refried Beans with cheese and salsa, egg salad, deviled ham, hummus, pureed tuna fish, creamy Peanut Butter, and scrambled eggs were all things I ate in pureed stage. But my number one goto was pureed Soups with unflavored Protein Powder. I ate pretty much any Soup I could find....without noodles or rice of course. If it had chunks I just pureed it. I used Syntrax and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein powder.< /p>

Is there a way to make cottage cheese taste any good? I never liked it but my nut said I should start having it

Have you tried cottage cheese post surgery? Preop, I hated greek yogurt, just the texture alone made me want to gag. Post op--it is one of my favorite go to foods.

Scrambled eggs were on my list of purees. I actually added Water when I scrambled them to make them super moist and soft....my grandma used to make them that way. Adding the cottage cheese makes them even more moist.

Thank you, that's very helpful, I honestly never knew that

Scrambled eggs with cheese was my go to mushy. Greek yogurt as well. I never did mashed potatoes due to high carb content.

I don't each much mash potatoes but I do have some farina, or refried Beans

Cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt flavored with Protein Powder, refried Beans with cheese and salsa, egg salad, deviled ham, hummus, pureed tuna fish, creamy Peanut Butter, and scrambled eggs were all things I ate in pureed stage. But my number one goto was pureed Soups with unflavored Protein powder. I ate pretty much any Soup I could find....without noodles or rice of course. If it had chunks I just pureed it. I used Syntrax and unjury unflavored protein powder.

Have you tried cottage cheese post surgery? Preop, I hated greek yogurt, just the texture alone made me want to gag. Post op--it is one of my favorite go to foods.
I tried it before surgery but I never tried it after because I think it would maybe taste the same