Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tolerating Shakes

I've gotten where I cannot tolerate shakes that are require at least twice a day in addition to my puree foods. Does anyone have this problem? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Oh by the way they make me nauseous and I feel literally ill after drinking one. All shakes.

After surgery, the three most important elements are meeting your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements.

I hate the taste of Protein shakes. When I think of shakes I think of milk shakes and a Protein shake is anything but a milk shake. Having said this, it is still extremely important that you consume extra Protein after RNY gastric bypass surgery. So the rule is to experiment at this stage. Try the various protein powders shakes, premixed Protein Shakes and supplemental powders that can be added to foods. Find something that you can tolerate. For me, I found that Muscle Milk Light (vanilla Creme) Protein powder blended with Water with a half a banana worked well. I used a Ninja blender with a single serving cup mixer.

Your protein requirement is met by a combination of the protein that you obtain from meals combined with the protein from supplements (protein shakes, powders, protein bars). In the beginning your food volume is so minuscule that you are unable to meet the daily protein requirements from meals alone. Eventually if you concentrate on high protein meals, when your meal volume increases you will be able to start to reduce your reliance on protein shakes. I am 32 months post-op and I no longer take any protein supplement because I can pull all the protein I need from meals alone. Also in around another month or two you will be able to transition to another option which is Protein Bars. I used Quest bars especially when I was away from home.

@@rblakely63 You need to try different brands--they all taste a bit different. And the Muscle Milk mentioned above, you could try Isopure (also an acquired taste!!!) clear drinks. There are different ways to make them taste better but you want to make sure they fit the program. I had started using the vanilla Protein powder mixed with apple juice which tastes great but might have too much sugar!! If you are desperate and if your NUT approves only though. (It tastes like a pina colada!!)

But mostly try different brands.

I had a similar experience and it turned out that I became lactose intolerant. My surgical team suggested I try premier Protein ready made shakes. Initially they had me use have the shake and the other half fat free lactaid milk.

I found these to work great for me and by week 8 I was able to drink the whole 11 oz. shake by itself. These shakes have a whopping 30 grams of Protein, 160 calories and 1 gram of sugar.

Once I reached the purée and soft food changes I only had to drink 1 shake per day.

Even now at 16 months post op I drink one everyday.

They taste great, especially chocolate. There is no fuss with blenders or shakers because they are ready made. There is no discussing protein grit.

If I were you, I would try different types until you find one that works for you. Honestly protein choices is a personal choice but very very necessary to heal and stay healthy.

Good luck!

@@Djmohr Do you use the shake for a meal or for a snack? Like, is it your Breakfast or a snack somewhere through out the day?

Have you tried making Protein Mug Cake? I find that the Protein Powder is much more palatable that way. There are lots of different recipes online. Personally, I just use a scoop of chocolate Protein powder, some Stevia, 1/4 tsp baking soda, and sometimes a bit of PB2. Mix, add some almond milk (or real milk or water), mix again. Microwave for about 35-45 seconds. The key is that it is still a little runny. If it is dry you will probably hate it.

I had a similar problem at first. The only ones I could manage was the Syntrax nectar Fruit drinks. Mixed with Water so much thinner and easier to drink. I also added ice to make them super cold. The fruity flavors were more like juice for me, so that made it easier too. I started by having 2 per day and weaned back over time. Now I use them primarily when I need a Protein boost or I know I will be on the road and not be able to eat solids.

Good luck!

@@esskay77

I use it for a meal. Breakfast.

Thanks. I may get back to doing that. I've been making scrambled eggs (well, microwave scrambled eggs) every day at work and I really go through a LOT of eggs! lol I think it's good to have several options of things to have so I may go back to the shakes.< /p>

Try Pocket Protein. It's way better than Isopure. I mix it with my Water and it is very tolerable. They have a website. My surgeons office gave me samples and I ordered some afterwards. There are women and men's formulas. You can actually drink either one. The men's formula has a few more calories and Protein grams.

I totally love powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate Splendor. To me they taste like really good chocolate milk. I am lactose in tolerate for now so I make it with Fairlife skim milk and get 31 g. per 8 oz.

I tried several kinds of Protein before surgery and still have two in my cabinet. I can't tolerate the one now, although I liked it before surgery. I am saving it to see if my taste for it comes back. The other is Unjury. I have found that I can no longer seem to tolerate the classic chocolate flavor, but I like the strawberry and love the Chocolate Splendor.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

pam