Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernia route with Dr.Nicholson

I am considered a "low bmi" patient of a BMI just barely under 34. I am going the hiatal hernia route with the Nicholson clinic.

I'm pretty stoked! I have to do the pre op testing, then I get to set a date for surgery..... so that being said....

If you went through the Nicholson clinic (Dallas-Fort area) and either did self pay, or the hiatal hernia route. How quickly were you able to get the testing/surgery date set for.

The reason I ask is because I'm hoping for feburary. My son's birthday is in March and he is also on school break in march as well. If I have to push it back into March I'm worried about energy levels interfering.

Tell me your story!

Congratulations on your journey. I went the HH route with Dr. Nick. Start by getting done with the portion that the insurance will pay that is the EGD + Lab testing then once that is done you will go for result discussions with your surgeon. Right after that discussion you can schedule the surgery date. You will be required to pay the VSG part and the amount will depend on the facility your insurance will allow for your HH. You can get it scheduled within 3 weeks of your results discussion if you take care of your payment portion. Dr.Nick is the best and I highly recommend their support system pre and post op. Their back office staff for scheduling, payment and lab are amazing too.

Good luck!

Edited by umo

Congratulations on your journey. I went the HH route with Dr. Nick. Start by getting done with the portion that the insurance will pay that is the EGD + Lab testing then once that is done you will go for result discussions with your surgeon. Right after that discussion you can schedule the surgery date. You will be required to pay the VSG part and the amount will depend on the facility your insurance will allow for your HH. You can get it scheduled within 3 weeks of your results discussion if you take care of your payment portion. Dr.Nick is the best and I highly recommend their support system pre and post op. Their back office staff for scheduling, payment and lab are amazing too.

Good luck!

I've already talked to them about the insurance options and what my cost will be. It was actually right about what I was expecting. I am supposed to call tomorrow to schedule the EGD and since I'm out of state I think we will be doing the results follow up over the phone.

This is great news! 3 weeks is definitely doable! I've been hearing some good things about this doctor and his staff! Thank you for the reply!

I am from out of town also. I did my consult with Dr. Long one day and the EGD the next. Took about a week or so for them to call back. Could have done my surgery within a month but was going on vaca. Goes by quickly.

I am from out of town also. I did my consult with Dr. Long one day and the EGD the next. Took about a week or so for them to call back. Could have done my surgery within a month but was going on vaca. Goes by quickly.

If everything goes as planned I'll get my sleeve before vaca

Since you were an out of towner, what was your surgery stay like? 3 days? 4 days?

Do you mind me asking what current program cost is for the hiatal hernia repair? My max out of pocket for Cigna is $4000, just wondering what Dr. Nicholson is charging for the sleeve part. I am about 100% sure I have a hernia. Thanks!

It's going to cost me about $2600 over max out of pocket. But it varies by insurance and I plan to use my HSA to pay for part of it

I had my HH and VSG done there and the whole process took a month and a half. That is from the day I called and made the appt to the day of surgery. Very fast! I'm paying for the VSG and my insurance paid for HH. My cost was 3900. I pay 113.00 a month since I didn't have it up front. Hope this helps.

I had my HH and VSG done there and the whole process took a month and a half. That is from the day I called and made the appt to the day of surgery. Very fast! I'm paying for the VSG and my insurance paid for HH. My cost was 3900. I pay 113.00 a month since I didn't have it up front. Hope this helps.

That's awesome! Thank you for the info!

Thank you so much for the information!! I called today and made an appointment with Dr. Nicholson on 2/18. I felt at ease speaking with the lady on the phone, she really knew her stuff and was very nice.

I go to do my EGD on monday, hopefully by Friday or the following Monday I will have the results and be able to set my appointment!

I don't belong in this thread but I have to say something. I have a friend whobwent this HH route with Dr Nick. She has failed miserably because she didn't really put in the work (NUT, therapy, ongoing also, etc). I went to lunch with her maybe 8 weeks post-op and she ate pizza (albeit just toppings) and drank sweet tea. She lost about 30 pounds the first few months and that's it. She is still drinking sweet tea. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do the work. This is a very serious surgery and an amazing opportunity but remember the sleeve is just a tool. YOU have to do the work. I worry that this "easy" route that Dr Nick offers (as do others) somehow makes this seem not as serious. Especially those that are out of town. Find a NUT you can continue to meet with, a therapist locally and a Dr to monitor your post-op labs. This is VERY important.

OK climbing down off my soap box. Please don't take my advice as accusatory or against Dr Nick. (He is an excellent surgeon.). But the surgeon's part in this is actually very small. The real work is up to you. My advice is only because I want the best for anyone who is committing to such serious surgery. Best of luck to you all!

I don't belong in this thread but I have to say something. I have a friend whobwent this HH route with Dr Nick. She has failed miserably because she didn't really put in the work (NUT, therapy, ongoing also, etc). I went to lunch with her maybe 8 weeks post-op and she ate pizza (albeit just toppings) and drank sweet tea. She lost about 30 pounds the first few months and that's it. She is still drinking sweet tea. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do the work. This is a very serious surgery and an amazing opportunity but remember the sleeve is just a tool. YOU have to do the work. I worry that this "easy" route that Dr Nick offers (as do others) somehow makes this seem not as serious. Especially those that are out of town. Find a NUT you can continue to meet with, a therapist locally and a Dr to monitor your post-op labs. This is VERY important.

OK climbing down off my soap box. Please don't take my advice as accusatory or against Dr Nick. (He is an excellent surgeon.). But the surgeon's part in this is actually very small. The real work is up to you. My advice is only because I want the best for anyone who is committing to such serious surgery. Best of luck to you all!

I understand your concern!! Speaking for myself, I was much bigger 5 years ago. 250lbs with a BMI of 40. I lost 80lbs and kept it off for 4 years. I quit smoking to be a better example for my kids 1.5 years ago and now I can't seem to lose the weight I gained when I quit which has put me back into the "obese" category.

Having been through pretty substantial weightloss before, I'm fairly prepared for the changes I have to make. I have ZERO plans to drink sweet tea (which I don't like) or pizza. In prep for the changes I have given up sodas, most all sweets, and am transitioning back to healthier life style. This isn't a magic wand :) It's forced Portion Control and help with hunger hormones.

I also am not doing this just to lose weight I have a degenerative disc in my back that has hurts regularly now that I have gained some weight back. I'm not sleeping well, and I actually deal with the hernia symptoms on a regular basis.

When I lost the weight I had in the past I worked with a therapist to sort though the issues that had caused my weight gain originally. Thank you for your concern!! Sometimes tough love is needed :) I get that. But this is more than being thin for me. :D

Edited by 030608070609

@ - Great perspective! Sounds like you have the right mindset. I wish you all the best with your journey! Keep reading this message board! It is one of the top tools I have!