Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok... now I am unsure

I went to the information session last week. The woman talking had gastric bypass. She started giving us the info on both procedures (that is what I expected, it was an info session for the hospital's weight program, not just the lap band) While I saw A LOT of great point for the lap-band, I am concerned about some of the facts she talked about. I am a definate binge eater. I have for the most part figured my major trigger to be sugary treats (ie candy, cake, Cookies, ice cream, pie) and am working on eliminating them from my diet. (I have gone 2 weeks with out, Yea me!!!) Although that doesn't control all the binges.

Anyway, she told us that if we were binge eaters, the lap band was probably not for us. Because it is not a mal-absorbtion (is that the right word?) solution. I have heard dumping to be a problem with the bypass, but like i said, I plan to give up my major trigger no matter which surgury I choose.

I must admit the band's biggest appeal to me is the recovery time. I am a busy sahm and about to be a part time student to top it off. Also I was planning on trying to keep this to myself (dh will be in the loop). And I figure the sooner I can get back to my life, the more likely I will be able to accomplish that. I feel it would be easier. Let me give you an example of the last conversation I had with my mom. I was concerned about how many cookies she was feeding my one year old. She said this is how I was raised and I turned out fine. I said yeah well look at me. Her reply was, well you didn't look like THAT when you loved here. So I am not counting on much support coming from her or my dad.

This has gotten long, and to anyone who is still reading let me ask... Do you have any advice or opinions on why you choose the band over bypass. Any bingers out there who can shed some light? Thank you so much for letting me talk through this.

Beckie

Ok, I was a binger. I can not do it now if my life depended on it. I too swayed back and forth, the band was best for me. I am fulltime student @ MSU, so I don't have the luxury of taking alot of time off.

A lot of bypass paitents are VERY sick. My mom is one them. She had it after me and is now regretting it. Research both, and choose what is best for you. BUT binge eating is not an option for me. Not that I want to anymore. I love the new me, and never want to mess it up.

Feel free to pm if you want to talk more !

My mother is the office manager at my doctor's office and she has been talking to all the patients that have had WLS. The same issues tend to come up with the bypass people. They are always sick. They only have a few things that they can eat and feel ok. I haven't had my LapBand surgery yet, but that was certainly one of the factors in choosing it over bypass. Besides, you can have the band put in and always decide later down the road to have the bypass. You can't have the bypass and change to the band. Just some food for thought. Bad choice of words? LOL

~Aaron

I there. I use to be a binger before I was banded. Now I am never hungry so it makes it a lot easier for me. The main reason I didn't go with bypass is because I didn't want my organs rerouted. I chose lapband because it is reversible. And although the weight loss is slower, I enjoy eating all types of foods. When you have bypass you really have to worrry a out Vitamins, sugar intake, alchohol. I enjoy everything in moderation. The key is to eat lean solid Protein. That will keep you full the longest. Good luck.

Hi, in my case I found my binges to be controlled just as Julie said....because the hunger disappeared! I do get the head hunger munchies stuff on occasion, but the fact is to overeat, causes me pain, and is NOT worth it! I can eat 99% of the things I did prior to being banded. When my grandchildrens birthdays roll around, this Granny has a piece of cake with them, but only a small one, and I am done. I can eat out in any restaurant you care to go to....I WILL have leftovers. The band has allowed me to lose the weight, and not feel deprived.

There were many reasons the band appealled to me over bypass. First of all, I am a cancer survivor. My risk of recurrance is naturally higher...if that should happen, I can have my fill removed so that I can take in more nutrition. If a younger woman chooses to have another child...not a problem with malnutrition.

I do not know your age, it is not on your screen, but as a sahm, you are likely younger than I am...and I felt I was too young to permanently lose part of my intestines and stomach. The strides they are making in the study of obesity, and weight loss--involving the hunger producing hormone grehlin, are amazing. It is very possible in my lifetime for a non invasive cure for obesity to be found. With the band and its reversability, even removability, I am as much of a candidate as someone who never had any type of WLS. With the bypass, part of my stomach and part of my intestine are still gone.

With the band I chew 2 Flintstones Vitamins with my granddaughters each day---and have no issues with malnutrition. In that alone, it has taught me to eat healthier---which again is easier when you are not starving 24/7.

Bypass was too drastic for me to consider, the complication rates too high. I studied long and hard before deciding IF I were to do anything it would be the band. Then I began studying it---and made everyone around me crazy with stats I found. I lived, breathed and slept thinking about the band. Made the decision, and have not regretted it at all!

Research for YOU---as you stated, they gave general info on all. Talk to people who have had the surgeries. Talk one on one with a Dr. who performs bandings.....don't let anyone else make a decision of this magnitude for you.

Good Luck in your research! And welcome to LBT!!

Kat

Well, just to give you a heads up on the bypass, by very good friend had a bypass and lost a lot of weight. She has gained A LOT of it back, not all of it. She is a binger. Still is a binger. She didn't have to learn to eat differently like bandsters do. We have this tool for life!!! Bypassers get their stomaches cut and rerouted and then what????? They are stuck there. We have tool that if we are stuck can adjust (fill or unfill) and that moves in the right direction. I feel badly for her because she lost a lot of weight and didn't exercise at all. Her knees are shot and she has to have surgery on them, but she is still very heavy, like I said above, not as heavy as she was, and still doesn't want to exercise. She wanted to do a lapband and I gave her my book, she gave it back with a bookmark in it about 1/4 way into the book. I am not sure whether she read it or not, as she sent it home with my daughter one day and I have not talked to her about it.

My point being, I think a lot of people love the FAST weight loss of bypass, but I think I have had fast weight loss. 65 since April 5th. But, I work my butt off with exercise and that is what is giving me this huge loss so fast. A lot of people would rather just let the band do all the work and not exercise and let the weight come off as it does. I am not willing to wait that long, plus I want to look good when it does get off, not flabby. You are going to have to do some work, both head work and physical work with either procedure. Research and talk with both sides and see what is right for you!! Good Luck!!

i was going thru the same thing, but i am going for the lap band due to the same reasons you list. this is not major as bypass surg. i have friends that recd bypass,this is so major,however i feel that a person need to loose 120 lbs or more this is a good thing.but 100 and less lap band is best a slow process ,but effective

you are great i love this note of encourgement,i am going for the band ,but i think you said it all. thanks

I know--- isn't it eye opening to realize you binged, and there is still popcorn in the bag....or that you took 3 Cookies out of the sleeve, and only ate 1 or 2!!! I do these things and laugh, sometimes I just amaze myself!!!! LOL

Kat

Argh! I was having thoughts about banding vs. bypass today too... this has snapped me back to where I know I belong... I gotta get more faith in myself...

thanks from me too!!!

katie

There have been a couple of times since being banded that I kind of lost control and started to binge eat. Notice I said "started." When you have proper restriction, the lap-band simply does not allow you to overeat like you did pre-band. After a moderate amount of food, you're physically incapable of continuing to eat. When you've had too much, it just comes right back up. And that's why I love my lap-band.

Thank so much for your replies. To answer some questions, I will be 28 next month. My worst binge went something like this, a trip to the store, purchasing 2 cans of spray cheese, a bag of doritos, 2 boxes of little debbies, frozen pizza and frozen mozzerella sticks, and then spent the rest of the afternoon eating it ALL. I joke I am like a bulimic who never got the purging right. So no I don't mean eating all day, I mean actually bingeing.

It is good to hear that others who of had similar experience prior to the band have little to no desire to continue bingeing afterward. Thanks!!

Babe, you may find yourself still going to the store and buying the same things, thinking, you are going to eat them anyway----but you will find that is not possible! Especially after the fills begin and you achieve some restriction. Soon the mood shifts, and while there are moments you really want to binge, you develop a sort of pride in yourself, that you made a choice and can no longer DO that! You see the numbers come down on the scale, and you lose the guilt that always seems to follow a binge. food is no longer the best friend/worst enemy all rolled into one. It is nourishment, and you learn to taste each bite. I find myself buying higher quality, because I eat so much less, it is not cost prohibitive. I buy more tender cuts of meat....and fresh sliced deli cheeses....things I previously just inhaled anyway, never taking enough time to fully appreciate the tastes and textures involved.

Pre banding, I might have bought similar things to what you say you did...now I would buy some grapes, and nuts, and cheeses, still things I can sit and watch a movie and snack on, but I get full VERY quickly, and feel much better about my choices. I go to bed knowing I didn't ruin yet another diet.

The worries you are having now are very normal, we were all afraid to "give up" our good friend food. And yet there was the other part of us who wanted to push that good friend away....and save ourselves. We recognize your fears and concerns!

Kat

Hey all!! I'm scheduled for banding next month. For me it's either the band or nothing. I'm just too chicken to go through with the Bypass. All of us here have a problem with food. I'm sure that most of us binge too. Hopefully the band will be a tremendous help. Whether you get the band or do the Bypass, if you continue to binge in the long run you'll gain weight with either surgery. Trust me, I need to make this band to work for me since I'm looking to lose about 140lbs :-o Good Luck with everything. If you keep reading enough posts, I'm sure you'll realize that the Band is the way to go :-D

This is a great thread. I am being banded Wednesday August 1st, and I am still worried that my old eating habits will prevent it from working. I kind of lost faith in myself a little bit.It is reassuring to know that people with similar habits actually have trouble eating the way they used too. It is just hard for me to imagine that "I" could turn down the food that I once could eat the entire bag/box.