Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Date and Christmas Liquid Diet

I got my surgery date! January 4th. My liquid diet starts December 21st...I know it takes dedication and perseverance, but does anyone have any ideas as to how to make Christmas eating bearable while not being able to eat solid food? Any holiday-ish recipes or anything healthy? Thanks guys!

Congrats on the surgery date! You'll do great on the liquid diet. I can't be much help on what to make... my 2-week pre-op diet consisted of 3 Protein shakes per day, broth and sugar free popsicles, so not very festive.

My one bit of advice, when things get stressful, just remind yourself why you're on the liquid diet: #1 get your body ready for surgery and most importantly #2 get your head ready for the post-op diet.

Thanks for the encouraging words, @@goblue9280! :) my pre op diet consists of the same things essentially.

I know it is part of the deal, not eating the way I used to anymore. My family does a big Christmas Breakfast every year. It's just our thing. I know I will be tempted to nibble on something! I think I'm going to have to get crafty with my Protein shakes and some sf Jello during Breakfast lol!

Congrats I am waiting for mine. Please keep in touch would love to hear your progress

I'm in the same boat! My liquid-only diet starts dec 17 and surgery is dec 28. I told my mom that I wasn't coming to Christmas dinner and she's not happy but she understands. I'll join them afterwards and am planning to have hot cocoa (sugar free and using high Protein almond milk) so it will feel festive.

@@Ashley Cherradi

Will do!

@@talkingmountain It is a wise idea, and I may end up following your example. It's easier to just come after everyone eats their big breakfast. I hope my family will understand if I do end up doing that. I completely forgot about hot cocoa! Such a great idea. :)

If they don't, just pull a Kevin McCallister and make your family disappear.

"I don't want a new family. I don't want any family. Families suck!"

I hope my family will understand if I do end up doing that.

Lol my family kinda sucks at Christmas time. So much tension and all those unresolved issues! But I love 'em to death all the same.

For really festive cocoa, stir in a tiny sprinkle of red pepper (or a tiny drop of hot sauce), a little cardamom & ginger if you have it, a little cinnamon, & top w a cinnamon stick!

Or for a minty recipe, stir in a drop of peppermint flavor in & add a sprig of mint or a sugar free candy cane (don't eat the candy cane unless it's one you can have, tho!)

Get Syntrax nectar fuzzy navel and pretend it's a mimosa.

I also love Harney and Sons hot cinnamon spice tea. They have it in Decaf. They have Christmas spice but I haven't tried it.

It may not be easy, but you will make it through!

My doc doesn't allow tea. Says the tannins in it irritate the stomach lining. But he does allow 1-2 cups of coffee a day. It's amazing how different everyone's requirements are!

Edited by talkingmountain

My doc doesn't allow tea. Says the tannins in it irritate the stomach lining. But he does allow 1-2 cups of coffee a day. It's amazing how different everyone's requirements are!

You could have an herbal infusion (herb tea) instead.

I had my surgery a week ago which means my liquid diet included Thanksgiving. As much as I wanted to be with my family, I knew I would be miserable smelling all those wonderful smells. So, I stayed home, drank my liquids and kept busy putting up the Christmas tree. It wasn't a great day (I had a 20 minute pity party) but it was the best decision for me. Good luck. It's only one Christmas in a lifetime of them. Besides, like me, this may be the first year you don't gain over the holidays!!

Had my surgery jan 13th. Still on full liquids having food craving though