Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 3rd Week Stall

I'm trying to not let it get to me. I had my RNY on 10/12. By the end of my 2nd week, I'd lost 14 lbs post op, 5 lbs pre op....a total of 19 lbs. On my 3rd week, I lost 1 lb... A total of 20 lbs. I've had no weight loss in 2 weeks. My fiance and I weigh in on Mondays. If this upcoming Monday I have no weight loss again, it'll be 3 weeks with no weight loss. This is so frustrating. The stall happened to early. My surgeon's office does not require a Protein minimum - maximum, just yet. I only need to ensure that I'm in taking at least 64 oz or more of fluids daily.

I'm all eyes and ears for suggestions. I felt like the first couple of weeks the lbs were melting away. Now.... I'm JUST STUCK! How do you break your stall?

Even though your surgeon doesn't require a certain amount of Protein, try to get in as much as you can. It really helps with healing.

That said, stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the weight loss process. If you intend to lose a large amount of weight, you will stall. None of us loses at a constant rate.

Almost everyone experiences their first stall about three weeks after surgery. It's how our bodies work.

If the numbers on the scale are going to dictate how you feel, then I recommend you stay off the scale.< /p>

Just focus on getting in your Protein and fluids, take your Vitamins and supplements as instructed, and exercise when cleared.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

@Inner Surfer Girl, thank you so much! I said the same thing to myself, "stay off the scale!"

I've been eating Protein 1st. I've been taking my Vitamins. I just started taking my Calcium as on instructed. I'll also start taking Biotin next week.

I'm excited for this journey. I understand that I'll experience stalls throughout my weight loss journey, I'm just frustrated. But I will try to embrace the stall. Thank you again!

The Protein will help break your stall as well, especially if you are not getting enough.

1 gram for every inch you are tall minimum. It will help you heal and will help you lose.

I am the stall queen, I swear! The only thing you can do is follow the plan and wait it out.

Good luck!

I stalled only one week after surgery and the stall lasted a little over 3 weeks. It was frustrating to say the least. I am a patient person, but it was really trying.

I went to my nutritionist yesterday and even though I have been getting in my 60 grams Protein she wants me to try to get in 75 to 80 per day. She also wants me to get in more calories - even if that means eating 6 2oz meals a day. She told me that some people's insides take longer to heal (hence the need for added protein) and that some people go into a starvation mode at only 600 calories.

I worked hard yesterday - got in 75 grams Protein - almost 800 calories. This morning I woke up and had lost 4 lbs. Hoping it is the beginning of a new trend for me - I've only lost 11 lbs since my surgery but I'll take it with renewed optimism!

The Protein will help break your stall as well, especially if you are not getting enough.

1 gram for every inch you are tall minimum. It will help you heal and will help you lose.

I am the stall queen, I swear! The only thing you can do is follow the plan and wait it out.

Good luck!

Oh no, not the queen @@Djmohr! Thank you for the formula. I will use that starting tomorrow. I'm 5', so that's 60 inches.

How many stalls have you experienced? How long was each stall?

I stalled only one week after surgery and the stall lasted a little over 3 weeks. It was frustrating to say the least. I am a patient person, but it was really trying.

I went to my nutritionist yesterday and even though I have been getting in my 60 grams Protein she wants me to try to get in 75 to 80 per day. She also wants me to get in more calories - even if that means eating 6 2oz meals a day. She told me that some people's insides take longer to heal (hence the need for added protein) and that some people go into a starvation mode at only 600 calories.

I worked hard yesterday - got in 75 grams Protein - almost 800 calories. This morning I woke up and had lost 4 lbs. Hoping it is the beginning of a new trend for me - I've only lost 11 lbs since my surgery but I'll take it with renewed optimism!

Thank you @miiasan. Your post is very encouraging.

How long ago did you have your surgery?

I can only imagine how frustrating that was only after the 1st week of having surgery. Keep up the good work!

@@thbrown223

I had the infamous 3 week stall that lasted 2 weeks and then again at 3 months. I have had so many that I cannot even count. The longest one was at 8 months and lasted 5 weeks.

When I say a stall, I mean NO weight lost at all during that period of time. If I lost a pound it was not a stall.

There are also times when you will lose a pound then gain it back then lose it again. It is simply part of the process that we go through.

During that 5 week stall I actually had to stay off the scale because it actually frustrated me. Normally I don't let the scale dictate how I feel but that time I will admit I was very frustrated.

Then all of a sudden wham I will drop weight again. I stall out now after I drop 10lbs. Then I go back and forth and it all begins again.

@djmohr... Thank you again. I'm staying off the scale for at least a couple of weeks. I've never allowed a scale to dictates my feelings, so why start now right?!

A 5 week stall would drive me insane! It just starts to play with your mind. I'll increase my Protein intake, continue my fluids. I'm taking my Vitamins, but it's not always a the right time in the morning. I've set a timer on my fitbit to ensure I'm taking them on time.

@@thbrown223 - yeah, I am new to this - only about 5 weeks after surgery - so the stall at only one week was pretty frustrating. I had lost 23 lbs on my own before the pre-op diet. I lost 7 lbs on the pre-op (mine was only 10 days) and then 7 lbs more the first week after surgery (not counting the Water weight from the surgery itself).

the second week after surgery I actually gained a little over a pound back and then......nothing for three weeks. I am glad the scale moved yesterday. I think understanding that stalls happen and that every person will lose at different rates is so important in our journeys.

whenever I have a good wt. loss I seem to stall a week as my body catches up. the 3 week stall was the worse. but I kept doing what I was doing knowing I was eating correctly and than the stall broke and I had a nice wt. loss. my doctor reminds me that if I have a stall for any length of time to look for hidden calories that I might be eating and not counting it enough. like in serving sizes etc. just remember basics and you will be fine

STALLS affect everyone. In my support group we call it "stair stepping", some delays later in your journey may last a couple of months. Keep in touch here or with a support system to help you make it through and don't be your worst enemy, watch you calories :)

Thank you so much. I've received so much support, encouragement, and advice in these forums. My stall has been broken. I'm now 218.6, for the past two weeks, it's been 222. I'm so excited. ????

I focused on my Protein. My doctor's office said focus on your fluids and worry about Protein in time. They were more concerned with portions, how long you're eating, and fluids. I added protein to my focus and looked what happened. I made sure my protein intake was at least 50g. I know that's low compared to others, but it was better than I was getting. The scale was acting all wonky all morning, so I wasn't so sure if I should believe it. But after about 11 times, I figured it must be true.

Not that it's dictating how I feel, I just feel better that the stall us broken. I won't look at the scale until next Monday. ????

So with 3 meals a day, 1 snack. What do you do to get your protein in? My surgeon says no Protein shakes after week 3, this is the beginning of my week 7. I'm getting in 2-3 oz per meal. I can't drink Isopure or Protein H20 because I'm allergic to whey protein.

This week for meals I'm eating

Breakfast: crustless quiche recipe from the website theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com

Lunch: egg salad

Dinner: cod fish fillet or mojo by Goya with butter Beans.

I would love your ideas on how to get in more protein.

Everyone, thank you again!