Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days postop -- hot or cold for incisions?

Does anyone know if we can apply heat or cold to the incisions? I'm swelled up in a lumpy way; just hoping to help reduce swelling -- I'm guessing cold?

Absolutely! I started with an ice pack on the largest incision, the port. I have 5 small incisions and the port. I kept it on for 20 minutes and then off for an hour. After the third day, I put a heating pad on my entire stomach. I am on my 6th day, and I sometimes still put an ice pack on the port area as it is sore. I am not sure if there is a prescribed way to do this. I just was told to ice the incisions for the first couple days and then I could do either. It does help.

I had a great ice pack that covered my entire stomach. I kept it on for three days straight basically. I was still swollen and sore but it sure felt much better.

While I was at the hospital I slept with ice packs on my stomach and even now at home I sit with an ice pack. I find it helps a lot with the tightness around my stomach.

I've got a question...I know my doctor says I need to take 4 days to recover but did you ladies stay in bed for 4 days or were you up and at 'em within a couple of days? THANKS!!

I feel like I am butting in answering this since I have not yet had my surgery, but I have been a nurse for 29 years and I say get up and walk! Even open heart surgery patients are out of bed the next day. Staying in bed will cause Constipation, increased soreness, gas pain, and can even lead to post op pneumonia. I have had a lap chole and 2 c-sections so I know it is a challenge to move after any surgical procedure, but you will be so much better off if you do.

I was up walking that day, though not much. Was still kinda woozy but I did it. The next day was easier. Walked the front walk outside and was making laps around the house. They told me at the hospital to get up and walk. Just make sure someone is around ya. I'm not sure if it was the meds, the anesthesia, or something else but I was very wobbly.

Wait! Did he tell you to take 4 days off to recover or to stay in bed and recover for 4 days? Because I would find it very hard to believe the latter. My docters and nurses were all very adament about getting out of bed ASAP and walking. My own nurse was impressed that I was able to get out of bed within an hour of being in my room, but then again I had to go to the bathroom an wasn't about to be cathed! LOL From my own experience the more you walk the better, it really helps in gettting the gas out. I can't imagine staying in bed for 4 days would ever be a good idea!

FarmerE---I know it's not funny but that sounded funny "Just make sure someone is around ya. I was very wobbly." [smiles] I am like that NATURALLY!!! LOL! Thanks for your input!! That's great news because my job is very picky about missing and I might need to return within a few days. Have a great night!!!

I was only in bed for about 12 hours....then I was up a lot....taking rests of course....the gas pain moves much better if you are up and moving....I used rice socks for gas pain, sipped on prune juice and walked a lot. Don't sit too much. The first 12 hours I was very naseated so I pretty much stayed in bed...I did get up to walk once the first 12 hours. It is only day 4 and I am back at work...taking liquid tylenol for pain. I did have to use a suppository today though...hadn't had a BM for 4 days....I feel great though....just a bit sore. Hope this helps.

Just to forewarn you....I kept hearing that this procedure was NOTHING compared to a C/S...I am also nurse and have had 2 C/S....they were WRONG....reason being is spinal anesthesia is so different than general anesthesia....I felt great after my c/s and terrible after the band. It was all post operative anesthesia side effects but it still was terrible. It passed fairly quickly...my surgery was at 10am and by 5pm my nausea had improved considerably...but I wish someone had told me this....I went into the band thinking it was going to be a breeze. Hope this helps.