Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low pulse, anyone else

I had bronchitis a couple weeks ago and when the nurse checked my pulse was in the low 40's. The doctor checked it like 3 times and was still in low 40s so had me monitor a few days at home and past couple weeks i have had readings in the 40s on and off. Normal resting heart rate in between 60 to 100. I have my first ever cardiologist appt tomorrow to get checked out. I have had 2 EKGs and were fine. Anyone else experience this after surgery. I do get light headed and start to blackout but never fainted, which is a sign of low pulse rate. We will see what cardiologist says tomorrow. Probably get a 24hr holter monitor.

My pulse has lowered a lot since surgery. I usually stay in the 50s but sometimes dip in the 40s. I do get lightheaded and dizzy at times. I need to go see my primary about it.

When I was running and in good shape (obviously not now, otherwise I wouldn't be awaiting surgery), my resting heart rate would be in the 40's.

Yeah only time it may be normal is if you do a lot of cardio like a pro athlete, that doesn't apply to me.

The dizzyness and light headedness could be a sign of dehydration, particularly if it's when standing. Google orthostatic hypotenstion.

I too have found the same thing. Low heart rate, dizzy but dont pass out. My doctor said not to worry and we will assess it again in 6 months. Would love to know what others have been told...

It's probably dehydration.

I see this quite a bit as a nurse, and honestly, if monitoring has yielded no results as you have no other related co-morbidities, I wouldn't worry too much. 60-100 is the "normal" range, but quite a few healthy adults can dip below that during sleep or when relaxed and on pain meds. Narcotic meds lower your resting heart rate and blood pressure, so you were just riding the dilaudid high. When I had my own surgery, I went down to the upper 40s as well, but I was totally fine (Low BP and HR run in my family).

I see this quite a bit as a nurse, and honestly, if monitoring has yielded no results as you have no other related co-morbidities, I wouldn't worry too much. 60-100 is the "normal" range, but quite a few healthy adults can dip below that during sleep or when relaxed and on pain meds. Narcotic meds lower your resting heart rate and blood pressure, so you were just riding the dilaudid high. When I had my own surgery, I went down to the upper 40s as well, but I was totally fine (Low BP and HR run in my family).

Not sure about the narcotic high as my surgery was almost 11 months ago. So i am not on any narcotics. Either way, cardiologist ordered a stress test, echo, 24hr Holter monitor, and a 3 week monitor after that. So we shall see.

I also told the cardiologist that i have passed out and was very lethargic a few times when drinking. May be unrelated but he said if i have sinus bradycardia, the alcohol could drop my pulse in the 30's hence the episodes i have had a few times. May make sense as i can go from ok to barely conscious in an instant. In all cases it was when i wasnt moving around / dancing etc.... Which could make sense as my pulse would drop back down when "resting" and alcohol potentially play a role in pushing it down further.

@@nprcowboy Sorry about that! I didn't read this closely enough and thought you were fresh out of surgery! I will say though that my HR can still drop below normal limits during sleep, but I was cleared and told I simply have a very efficient heart. Good luck with your tests, I wish you the best.