Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time For My First Fill ????

I was banded just about 2 weeks ago, and am feeling 100%. I truly feel as though I did not even have surgery. My pre-op weight loss was great, and I was really excited about the future ....:P

But, things have taken a turn. I am on solids, and everything is going down fine. My appetite has not lessened, and I have no trouble with any food. I am able to eat the same foods, and same amounts as I did before surgery.:angry

Since last week, I have gained 10 pounds .... what is up with this. No trouble eating, no feeling of any kind of restriction, and a 10 pound increase .... all for 16000.00 plus. Doesn't sound like a great deal on my part?:phanvan

Obviously, there will be no restriction as I have never had a fill. Does this mean that it is time?:rolleyes

As always, I appreciate everyones help.:kiss2:

You are in what's known as 'Banster Hell'. The period after the op but before restriction. It's common not to lose weight in this period. You will lose again once you have restriction. In the mean time, try the best you can to eat nutritious food and get some exercise. Call your doc and tell him/her what you told us.

For me - I don't focus on the band as what will make me lose weight. I'm focusing on changing my life, including my approach to food and exercise.

My first fill is July 5th. Since I went on mush foods post-surgery, I've focused on only eating 4 - 5 oz. of food per meal, because of the commitment I made to myself by getting the surgery.

Limiting myself now, I think, will make it easier to limit myself when I get restriction. I don't want to get restriction and suddenly have to make the mental change.

The lapband almost works as a background reminder for me right now...I could go back to eating what I ate before surgery...2 or 3 meals worth of food at each meal, but I've made that commitment to myself, and the reality of my surgery helps mentally reinforce that commitment.

I realize this doesn't work for everyone, just trying to describe my approach and how it is working for me. By all accounts, the time between surgery and restriction is tough - the folks here are very supportive, and can help. Good luck, and we're all pulling for you.

<p>This is a time for healing for you not losing weight. You just had surgery a little under a month. Any weight lost at this point is a plus so don't stress over the weight. If you did your research then you would know this is possible and it's just you get proper restriction. Please eat the bandester way and start restricting your intake now, this will help you in the long run.</p> <p> </p> <p>Do you need a fill? Properly so, but you still will not have restriction if you're like 99.9% of us so following the rules is the key right now for you. We all go into this with unrealistic goals, we think "I'm going to be the one that has restriction and lose right away" and that's just not right for most of us. </p> <p> </p> <p>I know how you feel, I self paid & instead of focusing on the numbers in the beginning (because they were to big for me to), I tried to focus on my diet. I lost 17lbs during the beginning but by the time I got my first fill the lost was only 13lbs. Do what you need to do to change your mindset because the chances of good restriction after your 1st, 2nd & even 3rd fill is unlikely.</p> <p> </p> <p>Patience is the key with the band, it's a tool & unless you work it, it will not work for you.</p>

Yes it is time but your surgeon may make you wait 6 weeks for a fill. Try and count calories while you wait for a fill. Try to stay between 1000 and 1200.

I was banded on July 26. Went back to work after 5 days. About the 2nd week my appetite came back. It's difficult to stay on the prescribed diet of 3 cups of food 3 x's a day and NO Snacks. I'm hungry! I saw my nutritionist yesterday and she said I could have 1 6 oz.yogurt between meals. It's helping but I know it's time for a fill. My doctor wont do a fill before 6 weeks. Hang in there. Dont give up.

Well said DBAguy. It helped me to read that. I was beginning to think I was the only one that did what the doctor asked of me. With the exception of a slight pain on my left side that wont seem to go away, I'm excited and looking forward to new experiences in life. I like your attitude!!