Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 years out. what do you do?

I am 7 years post op and have gained a few pounds back which is normal for so many years out. I love that I had surgery and would do my RnY bypass again. What I am wanting to know from people who are a couple of years out is what you do when you gain? What do you do to keep from gaining? Do any of you use weight watchers or Atkins or any other program to keep you on track?

Thanks for your help!

I'm 15 yrs out from my RNY and experienced the same. I have simply made myself accountable! Back to the plan given to me by the surgeon and tracking my food with my fitness pal or sparkpeople. Back to being honest with what goes in and getting emotional support when I want to eat my feelings! Lol Also, adding in more Protein has helped a lot, using shakes again to boost Protein levels and then getting out and being more active! I have always been a lazy girl, so getting myself moving has made a big difference! I don't eat any sugar or refined carbs at all! Surgeon told me that that was my lifetime commitment to myself! If nothing changes, well, same results! I love using the forums for support and love to follow theworldaccordingtoeggface.com blog by fellow gb companion Michelle Vicari! She has great creativity, recipes and is just fun to follow! Hope this helps a bit! Good luck on your journey and keep in touch! Support makes all the difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Arielle Phoenix

I forgot to add about the Vitamins, sorry! I had the open long limb RNY surgery. The malabsorption is very critical! In the beginning, I was broke and had a hard time getting money together. Then I got really sick! I was critically anemic and lacking in most everything! I had to ask for help from family members until my financial resources improved, but I got the Vitamins and supplements that I was missing. I began to improve right away. Now I take Bariatric Advantage Ultra Multi plus Iron, Calcium Citrate chewables and add in extra others on my own, like fish oil, that are in gel form. We don't absorb anything from any of the over the counter pill form vitamins. They go straight through our bodies unprocessed. Sad fact! I had to learn the hard way, Lol!

I am 2 years post-op from RNY and my weight is flat-lined. As a matter of fact I weighed myself this morning and I am at my lowest weight thus far.

So what am I doing. First, I am not hypersensitive about my weight loss. I weigh myself each morning but I use the scale only as a tool, not something to beat myself over the head with. It only tells me if I am making the wrong decisions on my experimentation with food.

Second, I am getting most of my Protein from meals. I consume high Protein meals and do not take protein supplements any longer.

Third, I strictly stay away from processed sugars. I use low calorie sweeteners (such as Stevia), no calorie artificial sweeteners (such as Splenda), natural sugars (found in fruits and milk) and sugar alcohols. I had diabetes prior to surgery and have been in remission since the surgery and periodically monitor my blood sugar levels. And the testing shows this approach works.

Fourth, I consume fats. Fats have the power to take away hunger. So generally, I am rarely hungry. Generally, I have a cup of coffee in the morning with a giant scoop of home made whip cream. I make it myself and use Splenda in place of sugar. I use whole milk and real butter. I might have 3 Adkins treats during the day which also have fats and no processed sugar. They take the edge away from hunger. I asked my nutritionist "Why do people have surgery only to gain some or all of their weight back over the years?" Her response was "grazing" which is probably synonymous with snacking. I will be the first to admit that I snack, but I think it is important to understand what is appropriate to snack on. I snack on protein and fats and exclude processed sugar.

Fifth, I do not drink carbonated beverages anymore. I believe it is the carbonation that causes weight gain. It is like generating miniature explosions in my stomach that over time expand it out and allow it to grow and as a result, I gain weight.

Six, I am aware of the conditions that cause me to loose additional weight and will sometimes take advantage of these conditions to capture and achieve additional long term weight loss. These fall into two categories. I have found that when I get the stomach flu, I will lose weight. I have also found that when I travel and am forced to eat out, I generally lose weight.

Good for you James! After my long limb RNY, fats can't process normally at all in my body, sad to say! I get very sick if I eat the wrong kinds or amounts. I have no choice but to eat low fat. I have gotten desperately ill when trying to eat a small amount of full fat cheese or whipped cream without sugar. It's discouraging, but have to work with what I've got!

I admire your commitment and level headedness! You have done a great job! Go for it and live happily!