Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have thought of this on and off for a while but finally took the first step. I have my first appointment scheduled Wednesday. I originally thought of Lap Band but after reading I am interested in looking into the sleeve as well.

I called my insurance and they said with authorization I am covered (I asked whatI need to do and they said just the authorization) not sure what that means. A woman at my job had Lap Band so I know it is covered.

What types of questions should I be asking on my first appointment and what can I expect?

Will they have an idea about the insurance process?

What is usually required by the doctor (not insurance) before moving forward?

Can anyone give me some pros and cons as to the band or sleeve? I am reading here but figured I would ask again with my other questions and stop lurking!

Thanks again!

Hi Leesa and welcome into the light! For my first appointment with my surgeon my vitals (weight, height, BP and temp) were taken. I saw him for the consult where he asked about my weight history and attempts at dieting and what happened. He asked did I have any thoughts on what procedure I wanted and I told him I wanted the sleeve because I already have Vitamin deficiencies and the malabsorption of the RNY seemed to not be a good fit for me. I also did not want the lap band because for me I didn't want a foreign body in me and I didn't want to have to have "fills" done forever. He aged that the sleeve was a great option for me.

After seeing him I was taken to their insurance person who went over my coverage and gave me a checklist of things to get done and paperwork to gather. I had to do blood work, an upper GI, an EKG, I had to get a letter of recommendation for the procedure from my primary care, I had to get copies of doctor notes from my primary care for 2 years. Most of those things were required by my specific insurance. She gave me an overview of the process and what to expect with timing.

Then I saw the nutritionist for an initial conversation. She asked me about eating habits and gave me a copy of the diet that would be required prior to surgery. For me I had to do a 2 week pre-op diet to shrink my liver to make surgery less risky.

As far as pro's and con's of the procedures I can't answer those but I will say that I see a lot of folks who had lap bands being revised to sleeves here. The sleeve is a relatively newer procedure but seems to be taking the place of the lap band.

For questions I would ask if a hospital stay is required (I was done as an outpatient)

Ask about pre-op visits as well as hat they require post-op (when you will see him)

Everyone is different and your weight loss is a percentage so there is no specific goal to ask about typically.

Ask about the pre-op diet and what their plan is post-op (every surgeon seems to be different)

Call your insurance and ask for a copy of the coverage for bariatric surgery. They will mail you a copy of what is required and covered. I did that because the surgeons office asked for a copy.

Good luck!