Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Removing tape glue and other tips

Hi,

I thought I would pass on a couple of tips that helped me (1 week out).

1. Nail polish remover

I've always had problems removing bandaids and bandages since I could never get rid of the residual glue. I would rub and rub and rub to get the stuff off. Well, I found out that nail polish remover works really good to remove the glue. Just a dab on a cotton pad and gently go in circles to remove to the tape (don't get any on the incisions!).

2. Body pillow

I am so glad that I have a body pillow. I can't sleep on my back, only one my sides or stomach. I used my body pillow to support myself when I slept on my side after the surgery. I was able to sleep on my side the day after the surgery. It's so nice to have a pillow between your legs too and you are able to hug it so that it cushions your entire front body. How did I ever live without one of these?

3. Propel Water

The Propel water bottles are great to have around the house and I just refill and refill and refill them with the Crystal Light when it's time. They are nice to stash around the house so that you get your fluids in. Have multiple bottles so that you can have some out at room temperature and have some in the fridge when you need something cool to drink.

4. Tucks

I saw this on one tip on another thread and yesterday after a bowel movement, it hurt. I used one tuck and a few hours later, I was a new woman.

What have you found to help you during the first few weeks after surgery? Share your tips.

4. Tucks

I saw this on one tip on another thread and yesterday after a bowel movement, it hurt. I used one tuck and a few hours later, I was a new woman.

My tip: Benefibre! Better yet, Fibresure. Benefibre is just as good, but Fibresure has a waaay finer texture, and I think you don't have to use as much. (smaller 'doses') If it hurts, perhaps, you're not getting enough, and 'straining'. Tucks are for hemmorhoids, and if you keep 'hurting' yourself, you're going to end up with 'em!

I tried the nail polish remover too when things were looking ok and safe to use it and it didn't work for me either... I thought I was never going to get rid of those marks, it took time and patience for me.

I'm pretty sure it's gotta be nail polish remover WITH acetone, not the gentle stuff that is 'without'. :)

Sorry that you guys are having a hard time with the nail polish remover. This is what I used: Life brand (from Shoppers) "Acetone free nail polish remover" with a cotton pad. It removed all the stuff left after I took off the gauze bandages (the residual tape glue). Plus, it took off the glue left by the steri-strips.

Not sure about "super glue", as I didn't have that. The stuff came off super easy so not sure why you guys are having problems.

Has anyone else experienced anything that worked? Or is everyone just waiting for it to come off with time. I did a Google search and they suggested nail polish remover, which worked for me.

Also, I had a bandaid where they put the IV in, and it removed the residual glue from that just as well.

Btw, Tucks are not just for hemmoroids. The box I bought says "Feminine personal cleansing pads" and they are also used for "conditions of vaginal hygiene and itch".

Btw, Tucks are not just for hemmoroids. The box I bought says "Feminine personal cleansing pads" and they are also used for "conditions of vaginal hygiene and itch".

Whatev, it's your ass... I was just stating that instead of using something to 'ease' it, you should do something that might prevent it.

Good luck to ya.

Hi Bejeweled, I try to add the benefibre whenever I remember. It is tasteless and everything helps. I would go for a maintenance approach. Now that you are on liquids use the benefibre then later you can have All bran Cereal to help you out. Your discomfort maybe came from the fact that you are on liquids and there isn't much there. The benefibre was a definite help. I still use it when I'm making pebbles for a good clean out.

Hope you're doing alright. Are you bake at work?

If you are on liquids, why do you need any help? There is nothing there to come out. A BM every two or three days is not uncommon and the notion one has to have a BM every day is not necessary. Benefibre is great for when you are on solids. I use it also, but as I am eating less, I don't expect a BM every day. Check with the clinic and see what they recommend.

I have to laugh at all this concern regarding my BMs. :-)

After my first BM after the surgery, I used a Tucks to soothe my bum. No big deal. I just thought I would pass it along as a tip to others. Take the advice or ignore it, whatever.

Everything is going okay on this end. I went back to work yesterday (I had 7 business days off and loved being off work). I'm not back to 100% yet as I feel kind of weak still and the heat/humidity of Toronto is not helping me. But, I have A/C at the office and at home, so it's only the walk to/from home and work that I have to deal with. I have noticed that I am not 100% back to breathing normally. Anyone else have that? I'm not really out of breath, but just find that I'm not myself and tire very easily. Maybe it's because I'm still on full fluids until Friday.

Other than that, all is good on this end. I'm not at all hungry, am in no pain, and the scars are healing wonderfully.

I am using a Scar Therapy cream and also using NeoSporin with Antibiotics, if anyone is interested. They really work!

Doddie, you're right. It's once every 2 - 3 days now. I was so regular - every single morning and after each meal. It's something else to get used to.

Thanks all for the suggestion of Benefibre. I will pick some up, just in case :-)

Bejeweled Dr. Doddie just wants you to know that she doesn't think that you are full of sh....t. LOL

Nail polish remover did not take my tape residue off either, are you ready....I used "Oops" that stuff for getting paint off. I was very careful, but it worked.