Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok who has some good ideas for the soft food phase?! I'm going to be starting soon and looking very forward to it! I heard I can have toast?? If so, what would be the best to have?! Thanks everyone!

I've been having small amounts of ricotta cheese topped with sauce and Parmesan...heaven in a bowl. Also retried Beans with a bit of cheddar on top.

I started really good Proteins at this stage. My favorite was chicken breasts that were cooked to just done so they were still juicy.

I would sear them in a little olive oil and then use fat free gravy, cream of mushroom Soup, marinara sauce, low sugar BBQ Sauce.< /p>

Another way to get very tasty chicken was to marinate it in lemon juice, olive oil, crushed garlic, fresh chopped oregano, salt and pepper. The marinade kept it moist and delicious.

I would also make homemade chili, meatballs, fish.

The key is not over cooking your Proteins and letting them rest before you slice them so the juices stay in.

As far as toast goes I remember being excited about it and then trying it for the first time. bread takes up too much room in my yummy, makes me feel uncomfortable and does not keep me full very long. I simply refrain now unless it is made into a good soaked French toast. Then I might be able to enjoy and tolerate it.

I also loved vegetables cooked pretty soft during this stage. Carrots was my absolute favorite with a little butter, salt and pepper. I used to hate carrots, now we eat them all the time because they are my favorite vegetable.

@@Djmohr wow these are awesome ideas... My surgery is on June 5th. I know I have a little ways to go but I am trying to be prepared.

You will do great because you are prepared! Good luck and keep us posted.

I know each dr and location different. We can have Melba toast and saltine crackers on soft foods but no meat until Week 6 post op.

Refried Beans with cheese and mild salsa, omelets, ricotta with spaghetti sauce and Parmesan, meatballs.

I was super prepared and I think that's why I've done as well as I have. I tried several different Protein shakes, powders, etc. I even went to 3 monthly support group meetings prior to my surgery to obtain as much info from people who'd already had the surgery. Here's my favorite recipe. I'm in the soft food stage until day 60! To me this is a complete meal and it has never given me any problems. I tried scrambled eggs and could not get them down. While it may take a little time to prepare, once you have it will supply you with 12 meals! It is such a great go to for me. You can swap out the ham for chicken, any ground meat, etc. The nutrition facts barely change. Best of luck and I know you will be successful ;)

Magic Crust Quiche - Ham

Ingredients

2 cups 1% Lowfat Milk

1/2 cup All-purpose flour

5 large Eggland’s Best eggs

3 slices Sargento 2% Reduced Fat Pepper Jack cheese slices (cut or torn into small pieces)

3 slices Sargento 2% Reduced Fat Swiss cheese slices (cut or torn into small pieces)

1/2 cup Sargento Sharp Cheddar 2% Reduced Fat Cheese shreds

7 oz Deitz & Watson uncured Applewood smoked ham diced small

1/4 cup Cooked red bell pepper diced small

1/4 cup Cooked Vidalia or sweet onion diced small

Preheat oven to 350˚. In a blender or NutriBullet, mix eggs, milk and flour until blended, season with salt, pepper or whatever you’d like. Pour into a bowl and add all cheeses, cooked veggies and cooked meat. Stir to combine and then pour into an 8”x8” or 9”x9” square glass dish. Bake for 60 minutes. Let stand 5-10 before serving. You can add whatever cheeses, veggies or meats suit your taste. The small amount of flour firms up the sides and bottom making the “magic crust” while saving tons of calories. The Nutrition Facts are based on recipe above. FYI - the heavier meats, ie. ground beef tend to fall to the bottom. Serving size is approximately 2”x2 1/2”

Nutrition Facts

Servings 12

Per serving:

Calories 121

Protein 12g

Fat 6 g

Cholesterol 94 mg

Sodium 239 mg

Potassium 123 mg

Total Carbohydrate 7 g

Sugars 2 g