Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Week Away - Questions/Suggestions

I can't believe my surgery is in exactly one week! I'm hoping I'll only have to spend one night in the hospital. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can bring to the hospital to make myself more comfortable?

Also, what will I be able to do with my 3 weeks off? How soon can I drive? Go to the movies? Will I have the energy to do some crafts? Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

I didn't bring anything but my CPAP machine to the hospital. But I wish I had brought my pillow. If you bring a pillow, be sure to cover it with a bright case - to make it easy to spot and pack when you leave. I was driving after 7 days. And was back at work on day 11.

Things were pretty much back to normal, except I wasn't eating thousands of calories a day anymore! :-P So you should be able to attend a movie pretty soon after surgery, but I wouldn't want to go, I would have been tempted to eat popcorn.< /p>

As far as crafting goes, I wouldn't want to be refinishing a table or wood working, but anything that can be done sitting, should be easy to take on.

I can't believe my surgery is in exactly one week! I'm hoping I'll only have to spend one night in the hospital. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can bring to the hospital to make myself more comfortable?

Also, what will I be able to do with my 3 weeks off? How soon can I drive? Go to the movies? Will I have the energy to do some crafts? Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

If you plan to be there one day, I'd say chapstick, a comb/hairbrush if you up to that, and toothpaste and tootbrush. You will be too out of it to really predict how to even make yourself more comfortable. I didn't even use the other until the 2nd day. I just didn't care.

As far as your hospital bag...chapstick, toiletries, cellphone and charger. You really don't need any more than that. You can bring your own night gown or robe, but with all the wires, I found it easier to just wear the gown. You will spend most of your time in the hospital sleeping or walking.

I started driving when I was no longer taking pain meds. I started with short drives and worked my way up to longer ones. I found it helpful to wear the binder. You will also want to avoid potholes. They cause some pain.

I pretty much slept for the first week or so, but then I started making myself get up and get moving. The more you move the better you will feel. You should feel fine to do your crafts. The movies will be fine, if you can avoid the popcorn and soda.

Listen to your body. It will tell you when you have had enough. Always travel with Protein and Water. I like the premier Protein shakes. They are ready to drink, so I can always just keep one in my purse. The first few weeks, you are really getting used to the new diet. I wasn't getting enough because I didn't feel hungry and then I would crash because it had been so long.

Good luck with your surgery. You can do it.