Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have started the approval with my insurance company to proceed with the lap band. I am concerned since I have not control over what I eat now - I find myself asking will I really have control after this is done?

I guess all in all, what I am asking if you had it to do over - would you and was the sacrifices you made worth it?

My BMI is 45 and I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I know I need this but concerned it I can do this.

Any thoughts?

Hello Seagogirl!

I think you will exercise control. We know from experience how easy it is to balloon up & how next-to-impossible it is to reduce. I too don't have the band yet, BUT i know that if I could just get a "jump start" on getting this weight off of me, I'd be like a ball rolling downhill, gaining momentum. Support & encouragement will help you along & you will find plenty of that at this site.

Good luck & know that you are not alone.

Take care!

Guest ZenGarden

I had lapband surgery on March 26th and my BMI was 45, weight was 306, and my height is 5'9". I've only lost a whopping 26 pounds total since the surgery. The first 20 pounds came off within the first month, so according to my calculations I've only lost an additional SIX POUNDS in nearly 2 months??? I'm working out cardio/weights five days a week. My only regret is not having gastric bypass.

I would undoubtly do it again.Im only 2 weeks out now and have lost about 20lbs from the start of my preop. Those 20lbs alone have been worth it. Now Im looking forward to getting back to eating real food not because Im hungry, but Im ready to start learning how the rest of my life is going to be. I am worried about the what ifs like what if my weight lose starts to slow down and I only lose a couple of pounds a month, will I still feel as if it was worth it, and the answer is yes. I will take a couple of pounds lost instead of gained any day.

zengirl227 Why do you wish you had done gastric instead of lapband?

Guest ZenGarden

I am regretting getting lapband because I'm beginning to feel the frustrations from lack of substantial weight loss.

I had my first fill of 1.5 cc's on May 16th and am still nowhere near the restriction I need and am not losing any weight and am hungry all the time.

At least the bypass patients aren't hungry and they darn sure don't have to work as hard as we do to lose the weight...

zengirl227: I understand and do agree with your reasons and Im sure that I'll get to a point where the slow lose is frustrating. But I read somewhere that 1 in 200 people will die from having gastric bypass. Im just not that luckly to play with those odds.

i would definitely do it again!! i only wish i did it sooner in life. why did i wait sooo long!!! i lost 30lbs in the 1st month and lost another 8lbs give or take in the past 2months. the loss did slow down tremedously and i do get frustrated but i know it will come off! i signed up for slow weight loss so i expected it. i just got spoiled after losing 30lbs super fast but i know it has no choice but to come off. i eat right and i exercise.:)

I am regretting getting lapband because I'm beginning to feel the frustrations from lack of substantial weight loss.

I had my first fill of 1.5 cc's on May 16th and am still nowhere near the restriction I need and am not losing any weight and am hungry all the time.

At least the bypass patients aren't hungry and they darn sure don't have to work as hard as we do to lose the weight...

You might want to spend some time on a post-bypass board, and read about what they are living with. Neither surgery is a magic bullet, both have their hard areas and complications and slow-weight loss. I understand you are frustated right now. But it's really about long-term health.

I would do it again. . .and again. . .and again. . .and again!!! :) I was banded on 05/31. Since my 2 week pre-op diet started (05/16), I have lost 32 lbs (17 pre-op, 15 post-op)! I know that it will slow down, but like sheshegirl, I signed up for a slower weight loss!

I have a cousin who's husband had the bypass, and due to complications, spent 4 months in the hospital!! Sure, he lost 150 lbs during that 4 months, but he had to learn how to walk again due to being bed-ridden for so long!

I just tell myself that I didn't get this way overnight, so I can't expect to lose it overnight! But I have the confidence now that I know I WILL lose it!! You get out of it what you put in to it! You can do it! Good Luck!!

Yeah, bariatric patients might not have to wait as long to lose the weight, but about 90% of them have to have the skin removal surgery because of all the overhang. Slower is better>

I was banded 13 days ago, and i have lost 10 lbs, I have the skinniest feet ever, that feeling of non swollen legs , or toes and seeing ankle bones for the first time in 3 years is tear jerking , It was all worth the pain and battle. Do it and you will thank your self.

<p><p>Yes, even as I have had good days and horriable days, even when I was angry at the world and got stuck eattng cake on my birthday! </p> <p>even as i have been stuck losing and gaining the same damn 7 pounds for 6 months, even when I had refulx and couldnt sleep for a week, ,, yes, yes, yes all wrth it and still worth it, one year and 3 months later I am 75 pounds lighter, happier, healthier, and still amazed when i look in the mirror easch day, was it easy ,, no ..would I do it again, without a single doubt.</p></p>

I would do it again in a heartbeat. 9 months after banding I'm down close to 70 lbs. Lost it in fits and starts. TOM effected weight. Plateaued for 3 solid months, very frustrating.

This isn't a magic bullet, it's an adjustment to a healthier weight, lifestyle and relationship with food. That doesn't happen overnight.

Someone on the board has said this isn't a sprint--it's a lifelong journey. Remember that when your scale seems stuck for awhile. Just keep on doing the healthy things your surgeon's office directed and eventually you'll get there.

An unequivocal "YES"! This is a huge blessing! I am 7 months out and have lost 83.5 lbs. My only regret is not doing this much much sooner!

Yes! I Had A Low Bmi, But No Control And Knew I Needed Help. I Have Lost Over 40 Pounds Since Nov 30. Yes It Is An Adjustment To Not Be Able To Eat Till You Pop. I Do Miss Some Things. I Wish I Would Have Been 125 Pounds And Could Have Continued To Eat Eat Eat, But That Was Not Me...i Love My Band. I Still Need To Lose A Bit To Get Into The Normal Range, But It Is Going To Happen!!! Just Moving From Obese To Overweight Was Great!