Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSV (Non Scale Victories)

OK so i was going threw all the treads on here and realized that whenever someone has a NSV they have to put it somewhere randomly.. So i thought it would be a good idea to have a thread celebrating all of our NSV's. (i know im a dork!! :))

Ok ill start off, a couple of days ago, i came across this pair of jeans my cousin bought me last year, no last year at that time i couldn't even button them at all (even when i tried to play the whole lets suck my stomach in and lay down on the bed game) So i was curious and just had to try them on.. and guess what I put them on no problem i even had my stomach relaxed. :) what a wonderful feeling. and today my mom bought me a top and i treid it on and it was to big... IT'S LITTLE THING LIKE THAT, WHICH MAKE YOU FEEL GREAT ABOUT YOURSELF!!!:clap2:

By far and away, my biggest NSV was my first run. This year's Mothers Day Classic. I ran 4.5km in 28.35 minutes!!

The euphoria I felt crossing the finish line was incredible! I felt like I could take on the world and win.

I can't help but smile when I think back.

GREAT NSV's

Mine... (besides the clothes I'm fitting into again) is....

The proud feeling I have walking OUT of the gym all sweaty and red faced!

Awesome NSV, Tracy! I have lots of them, but the BEST ones are the fact that I didn't need to be put on meds for the 3 medical conditions I was diagnosed with at my pre-op testing. (Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, and High Cholesterol)

After all, I did do this mostly for my health. The weight loss is a great bonus!

I've had so many since being banded and I'm so proud and excited about each and everyone of them (some of them I guess are scale victories - but I'm listing them anyhow)

1. I'm able to cross my legs

2. My butt doesn't touch each side of the bathtub

3. I now weigh LESS than my husband

4. I bought my first pair of low rise - slim fit, size 13 jr. cruel girl jeans - and the best thing, they look GOOD on me!

5. I'm in a size 12 now - havn't worn a size 12 in over 15 years!

6. I have become ADDICTED to exercise - I work out 6 days a week!

7. I am being told by others that I am inspiring them

8. I am being hit on by 21 year olds - I'm 40 (soon to be 41)

9. I'm only 33 lbs from goal, and I know I will reach this goal - the feeling I have is undescribable - I believe in myself for the first time in a looooong time.

10. I feel beautiful again!

Ok here goes-

1. Day of surgery 1/19/07, I was a 304 pounds. Today I am 264. I was size 26/28. Today I am an 18/20. After 20 years of being the same dress size. I have more options and I am not the biggest size most stores carry.

2. My blood sugar average is currently 134 and hemoglobin A1C was 6.4 compared to no where near that before my surgery. My endocrinologist wants me to stop taking my blood sugar medicine, monitor my levels for a few days and if need be take only half a pill.

3. I workout at Curves 3-4 times per week after work as compared to coming home snacking and watching Oprah. And sometimes I even go on Saturday morning and feel guilty when I miss a day due to work or other obligations.

4. My mom and I are now practically the same size and it is driving her crazy. Although she is happy for me.

5. I can look in the mirror and see that my face is smaller and I am indeed smaller. I try on some of my old clothes for extra reinforcement.

6. I finally have to buy new bras.

7. I got in a regular Misses dept. size XL shirt in Khol's (so I had to buy two). I finally got a pair of Levi's jeans.

Well I have lost 25 lbs so far. I still have a long way to go. Nobody is noticing the weight loss (except me of course) because when you have a lot to lose it takes a while for people to notice. (how come they notice immediately when you gain???) I have had people say that color looks great on you and I have had 3 people say you look nice, do you get your hair cut??? I just want to scream.....no I now only have 1-chin not 2!!!! Its like they are noticing something but maybe they are afraid to say....did you lose weight

So anyway my small NSV is just about my clothes that I am fitting back into and some pants that feel better....like I can breathe in them. I loved the thread "how much can you pack into a pair of pants!! I must have been packing them beyond belief!!

Keep up the good work fellow bandstahhs....(my Boston accent) GO SOX

5 weeks ago I sent my daughter on a shopping trip to find me a jacket. At the time we compared measurements and she was 4 inches smaller than I was in top, middle and bottom. Today I remeasured her so I can do some sewing for her and I am only 2 inches bigger than she is. Soon I can raid her closet. First time ever.

I can shop at the Gap and Old Navy's regular womens section again!! It was sooo depressing when i out grew the gap and the best part is when i went i was not even the biggest size that they have.

OK...well, most of my friends at church know about my band. Sunday was the first time anyone at church had seen me in two weeks. They were all raving at how good I looked and how much "slimmer" (I had lost about 15 pounds since they saw me last). I chaulked it up to "being nice" and "encouragement". I didn't really believe they could 'see' a difference....

THEN...my pastor...who has NO IDEA about my surgery, called me over to him. He said "Joyce, how are you?" I said "great" (thinking someone had leaked my surgery to him...he's totally against all WLS). Well, he had no idea because next he said "You look GREAT! You glow! You look so healthy!" I said, "Thank you, I've been watching my diet and riding my bike 5-8 miles a day." He said "That's fantastic! It really shows!" That's when it sunk in...almost 40 pounds lost and I am begininng to look as good as I feel! YAY!

Great thread!

A few NSV's for me:

:( At the movies, my butt doesn't squish to touch both sides of the seat.

:smellie: My car's steering wheel has an automatic feature that brings wheel closer to you, and lowers it to a preset level when you put the key in the ignition. I always had it swet to extend the furthest, and lower the most. Before, it touched my stomach when in place. Now there is a good 6 inches of space between the wheel & my tummy.

:boink: Recently re-committed myself to the gym. Found out it takes MUCH longer to reach THR, and that I can bump up the speed to a much higher number, with very little heavy breathing.

:) Enjoying more frequent heavy breathing (if you catch my drift)! Sorry, just had to add that...:D

1. Not having "gathering anxiety." Having to get there early so I make sure I get a seat in the corner that I can fit into. Now I fit anywhere, even in between to larger people or chairs with arms.

2. Being able to walk between people seated in chairs and the wall behind them. Our conference room at work is a bit tight and if I got called out, everyone had to stand up to let me pass. Now I can walk behind them without making a spectacle myself.

3. Running without getting red, breathless and sweaty.

4. The ability to walk into any clothing department in any store and find something stylish that fits, not settling for anything I can close, regardless of color, size or price.

5. The looks on people's faces that haven't seen me in awhile.

6. I overheard my husband talking to one of our friends about my weight loss and he said, "Isn't she amazing?"

7. A good friend pointed out a normal sized woman walking a distance ahead of us and said, "You're smaller than her, and your ass looks much better in jeans."

8. Getting down on the floor to play with my grandson without losing my breath or worrying what I looked like on my hands and knees.

9. No diner booth or amusement park ride anxiety. I fit. No sucking in, I fit.

10. When a man looks at me my first thought is no longer--he's wondering how a human being can let herself get so fat.

FUN NSV -

Now when I sit down and look down, I can actually see my navel!!!

I no longer have that gi-normous spare tire blocking my view. Does anyone else have some fun non-scale victories to share?

I just went shopping at Lane Bryant today and I'm now down from a size 24 top and bottom to a size 18 bottom and 14/16 top. That puts me down 3 sizes on the bottom and 4 on the top. I am really close to being able to shop at normal clothing stores again. Wow.