Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10-15 vitamins a day?

I am doing research on my upcoming surgery and I just read on a different website that some people have to take 10-15 Vitamins a day! Is this an extreme case or is this the norm?

I am doing research on my upcoming surgery and I just read on a different website that some people have to take 10-15 Vitamins a day! Is this an extreme case or is this the norm?

Let's see; I take a multi Vitamin AM/PM = 2

Calcium mid morning/mid evening = 2

D3 - AM = 1

Biotin (for hair) AM/PM = 2

Once a week I take sub-lingual B12 ( one dropper full)

So that's 7 pills a day. I am 6 mths out. When I was discharged I was also taking colace (stool softener) for the first 30 days post-op.

I was also took omeprazole(prilosec) for the first 5 mths post op. Even adding them in, that's only 9 pills a day, so I say the 10 - 15 is a bit of an exaggeration. However considering that many overweight people are taking various pills and potions for different ailments, I'd say that's a good tradeoff.

It will depend on each individual's needs. In addition to taking a Multi-Vitamin (that is SUPER-LOADED), I take D3 (5000), calcium citrate, B12, E, Biotin, and Iron. I have hyperparathyroidism, so the D and Calcium are super-critical for me. After that issue reared it's ugly head, my bones are super scary brittle. And since I'm on this super-thingy, have a super day!!!

AM

1 multivit

1 d3

1 B12

1 omeprazole

1 Biotin

1 fishoil

1 probiotic

noonish

1 Iron

bed

1 time release Calcium

1 multivit

1 fishoil

1 omeprazole

I count 12 including the PPI so yea, it's right up there! it's important to note, some do not mix. Iron should be taken alone (or with Vitamin C) for maximum absorption.

Edited by bikrchk

Some of it depends on which brands you choose, too. I found some that I like and my bloodwork is good, but it does amount to a lot of pills. If I switched to something else, I could probably cut the supplements/vitamins in half.

AM:

2 fish oil

1 antacid

1 gall bladder pill

1 B12

1 Iron

2 mvi's

1 Vitamin D

2 Fiber gummies

1 Biotin

Lunch:

3 Calcium (makes 1 serving)

Late afternoon:

3 calcium (makes 1 serving)

Bedtime:

1 more gall bladder pill

1 anxiety pill

1 blood pressure pill

3 more calcium (for the last 500 mg)

Edited by roundisashape

I'm think it can depend on your bloodwork as well. I eat a LOT of yogurt so I don't need extra Probiotics. I also eat a lot of Beans and green veg so I don't need to add Fiber to my diet. So far my bloodwork has been at or above recommended levels and I'm not only any other med besides the ZyrtecD so I have it pretty easy. It does become second nature, so even though it looks like a lot on paper, it really doesn't feel overwhelming at all.

I only take a Vitamin C , a Multivitamin and a B12 in the am. After work I take a Calcium chew. That's it

My nutritionist requires:

3x multivitamin daily

2x Calcium +D3 (two pills each time)

1x liquid B12

1x probiotic

In addition to that I take:

2x Omeprazole (PPI for acid reflux)

1x Vitamin C

1x coq10

1x Omega 3

1x Vitamin E

1x Beef Gelatin

1x vitamin D3 (only in winter for extra)

Most of those "additional" things I was already taking for years pre-op. I was also taking a normal multivitamin and some Tums for calcium pre-op, so while I take MORE Multivitamins now and calcium citrate instead of Calcium Carbonate, it's not that much extra from what I was already doing.

The only new things for me post-op have been B12, the probiotic, and the Beef Gelatin (supposed to help with skin elasticity).

@@ishy1985

If you want to have the surgery and you want to be successful, you will do what is required. Simple as that!

Good luck!

@@ishy1985

If you want to have the surgery and you want to be successful, you will do what is required. Simple as that!

Good luck!

That's understood but coming from someone who isn't taking anything daily, it's still a shocking amount! Thanks though!

Wow, some of the responses, have completely shocked me. I don't like taking meds and am the kingd of person who will suffer all day with a headache and still not take anything. The Vitamin thing was a concern for me PreOp, seriously, and was one of the reasons I did not choose bypass.

To the OP @@ishy1985 : I get what you mean about how it seems like a lot. Daily I chew 2 Flinstones w/iron Multivitamins, and chew up 4 calcium citrate tabs (2 when I think about it, and the other 2 when I think about it again). The only reason I take these is because my surgeon says I have to. LOL! I don't take anything extra, but will if my bloodwork shows a need.

Edited by ProjectMe

Wow, some of the responses, have completely shocked me. I don't like taking meds and am the kingd of person who will suffer all day with a headache and still not take anything. The Vitamin thing was a concern for me PreOp, seriously, and was one of the reasons I did not choose bypass.

To the OP @@ishy1985 : I get what you mean about how it seems like a lot. Daily I chew 2 Flinstones w/iron Multivitamins, and chew up 4 calcium citrate tabs (2 when I think about it, and the other 2 when I think about it again). The only reason I take these is because my surgeon says I have to. LOL! I don't take anything extra, but will if my bloodwork shows a need.

That's great @@ProjectMe!! But yea I wasn't complaining just curious as to what the norm is! This is life changing therefore I'll adapt either way but I pray it's minimal meds!

Everyday...

1 fish oil/Vitamin D capsule

2 whole food based multivitamins capsules

3 days/week I also take a sublingual B12

In the beginning i also took 1 Iron capsule and 4 calcium citrate chewables/day. 6 month labs showed Iron and Calcium levels were high so I stopped taking them. 12 month bloodwork all looked good (actually calcium was still high, but I do eat a lot of dairy). That's why it's so important to keep up with bloodwork forever...vitamin supplements are not a one size fits all.

Edited by Kindle