Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone successfully just exercising to DVDs at home?

I'm not fond of getting dressed for the gym, driving there, etc. Have any of you been consistent with DVDs, or is it just too easy to blow it off?

I dont exercise to DVD's very often but I exercise at home, far more consistenly and successfully than I ever did at a gym.

I thought it would be too easy to blow off but I realised early on that I'd never stuck to my gym routines before becuase I just dont have the flipping time. It would take my whole morning to go to the gym, drive home, shower and dress to be ready for the day, it would be 11.30, midday by the time I'd done it.

I cant go at night becuase DH doesnt walk in the door till 7.30, 8pm and we have the whole kids' routine, bedtime etc to do and I cant get up early to go to the gym because he's left for work by 6.30 am and the gyms round here dont open till 6 am.

So I realised much as I hated it and found it boring, it would have to be walking for me. That didnt last long, I was jogging within 2 weeks and have kept it up at least 3 times a week, usually five or six, for the past 18 months.

I've been much slacker with strength training, that I always felt I needed gym machines for but its not true. Lately we've been doing a fabulous hour and a half long circuit together that involves treadmill, push ups, tricep dips, squats and lunges with the barbell, shoulders and biceps with hand weights, boxing with gloves and focus pads and abdominal work, we're both dripping with sweat and work really HARD and it's fun and not boring at all. I do it on my own as well, I love it, it beats just running in place, I prefer to run outside these days.

I find DVD's hard becuase someone always wants to watch the telly, and I dont have a basement (houses dont generally have basements or attics in Australia) or any dedicated exercise area and I get in people's ways.

But DVD's I've looked at buying are really hard core ones, the walk away the pounds type of thing would be nowhere near a challenge for me and the music annoys me too, lol. Jari Love's ripped series for example, I'd consider buying that, or some Cathe ones with weights.

I think the secret is ones that are appropriate for your level of fitness and a good variety. You need a little willpower to do them, but its a lot easier than the willpower you need not to eat the chocolate that's in the fridge.

Hi BetsyJane, Great question. I consistently do exercise dvd's at home without fail. I would recommend Leslie Sansone's " Walk away the pounds" as a great place to start as she has programmes from beginners level on up to advanced. I actually enjoy the workouts.:clap2: Great thing also is that they really do work. I have lost 24 kilos (52 pounds)since February. I really work up a sweat. The program is cardio and she does use little weights in the workout also. Get yourself a good exercise mat to stand on. I have a Nike mat which is quite good.

I like exercising at home because it is private, and you can do it when it fits into your schedule. It is also good for extremes in weather as you are doing it in the home.

I would recommend that you set aside time where you turn off your cell phone etc etc, and have that be your time to not be interrupted by others. That is not negotiable as your health is precious. That is your time.

You can save a lot of money on gym memberships too. Put that money into your pocket and not a gym's.:)

Good luck with it

Susannah

Hi Again, I forgot to also say that it is good to have 5-10 different dvds (with different fitness experts) for variety so that you can do different workouts. This should stop the boredom from setting in if you mix them around on different days etc. Susannah

The only DVDs I actually got into were the Walk Away the Pounds ones. I'm not sure why because they are actually kind of monotonous, but they keep my attention and I complete them every time!

Thanks for the info. Let's keep this thread going with great DVDs. I hear that the beach body videos are good too.

I have been doing the bodylastics resistance/cardio dvd since January and other then one morning when I was up half the night with a sick husband I have not missed a morning and I do them 6 mornings a week.I just don't have the time or the guts to go to a gym. At home I can wear what I want and look like I just got out of bed ( which I did!) and no one cares. I really like the resistance bands - I know i have gotten stronger in the last 6 months.

The only DVDs I actually got into were the Walk Away the Pounds ones. I'm not sure why because they are actually kind of monotonous, but they keep my attention and I complete them every time!

Hey Minty, These dvds can be done quite easily by people of all levels of fitness. I like that she takes you through steps that are pretty simple to do. But the main thing is that these dvds really work. I have already lost a lot of weight. I also like that it is winter here, and the other day it was pounding with rain and I was inside doing my workout.

I would advocate that everybody here do some form of exercise that they enjoy. It is important to do exercise that you can manage, and to do it at a frequency and intensity that you as an individual can manage. Some people can do more and harder, but you have to do what you can manage in order to stick with it in the long run. The key is sticking with it for a life time, not just being a commando at it for six months and then quitting because you have injured yourself, or you are over it.

I think you need variety also.

Having said that don't be a half hearted slacker though.;) Do it to the best of your ability, and others will do their exercise to the best of their ability. No need to compare yourself to others.

Susannah

Betsy,

In my own experience and observations I've found that you need to find what exercise works for YOU. If getting dressed and going to the gym is not for you, find something that fits you better. You may need to try out several things. DVDs at home, walking around the block, home exercise equipment, a regular routine with a FiTV program, who knows? And there are so many kinds of DVD's. I mean, there are aerobics, kick boxing, pilates, walking away the pounds, yoga, jazzercise, dancing off the pounds. The list could go on and on and is as long as one's imagination.

Find what you like, what you can be consistent with. Consistency is the key. By doing it, you'll feel better and you'll notice the changes which will inspire you even more.

Good luck,

I've used the Richard Simmons 20 minute workout tape before. It's very easy to follow, no fancy dance steps and will get your heart pumping. It helped me lose 100 lbs about 5 years ago. Over time I've gained it all back plus some.

Now I'm in band-land.

I do Tai Chi twice a week, and then a brief daily practice, and I belong to a gym and LOVE it when I go, but don't go often. I'm thinming if I do a DVD in the morning before I'm awake enough to talk myself out of it, then everything else that I do will be frosting on the cake!.

My neice loaned me the Beach Body thigh workout, and it's amazing. I think I might get the whole series. No dance moves to feel klutzy with...just real exercise that you can do as easy or as hard as you are ready for. I really liked it!

Please copy and paste and add your favorites!

Beach Body series

Richard Simmons

Walk Away the Pounds

Jari Love ripped

Cathe

If I work out at home I feel like I can stop in the middle of exercising. I go to the park and pray it don't rain, if it do that means I will have to get on the dreaded treadmill.

Betsy,

In my own experience and observations I've found that you need to find what exercise works for YOU. If getting dressed and going to the gym is not for you, find something that fits you better. You may need to try out several things. DVDs at home, walking around the block, home exercise equipment, a regular routine with a FiTV program, who knows? And there are so many kinds of DVD's. I mean, there are aerobics, kick boxing, pilates, walking away the pounds, yoga, jazzercise, dancing off the pounds. The list could go on and on and is as long as one's imagination.

Find what you like, what you can be consistent with. Consistency is the key. By doing it, you'll feel better and you'll notice the changes which will inspire you even more.

Good luck,

Betsyjane - I agree with Dawn. Everyone is different in what works, keeps them motivated, fits into their schedule, etc. I have a whole library of videos that have dust an inch thick on them. Tried them all, got bored with them all. The magic for me has been a routine at the gym, classes and working with a personal trainer.

Here's a hint: Try renting videos or borrowing from the library first! Or buy used tapes on Half.com or ebay.

Best to you!

I'm bumping this thread b/c I'm looking for good DVDs or videos to do at home. I like the dance ones like the old Mtv Grind sort of idea. Any new suggestions or finds that you can add? Thanks