Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hysterectomy & tummy tuck at same time

<p>Looks like the old utuerus has finally given out and will have to go, along with her friends the tubes and ovary sisters. During the initial discussion with my GYN I asked about the incision because down the road I'm considering a panniculectomy or tummy tuck.</p> <p> </p> <p>He said he and the plastic surgeon could do a combined surgery. </p> <p> </p> <p>I was banded 9 months ago and have a ways to go as far as exercising and toning up. And I've heard the recs that you should be at goal for about a year before considering plastic surgery.</p> <p> </p> <p>So, my question is: would it benefit me to get a head start on removing the apron--even though I'm not at goal? Or should I wait to heal from the hysterectomy, continue to exercise and seek the plastic surgery later?</p> <p> </p> <p>Opinions? Anyone?</p>

Hmmm, I edited a sentence and now there are a bunch of codes in my question. Sorry if they make the contents difficult to read.

Depending on how much extra skin you have, the surgery just might put you at goal. I was told that I would have between 10-12 pounds of skin and fat removed. I am as close to goal as I will get with actual weight loss, the rest of my weight is skin, if I continue to drop pounds right now I will look gaunt, and too thin. God I never thought I would be able to say that. ~Mandy

At my consult my ps told me it would be a good idea since my pannus was quite large. I 'm at 168 and my goal was 150 and said that as long as your expectations are realistic to go for it. That way you only heal once. It might also kick start you into toning up.

One surgery one healing time.

Ana

Definitely do both together. If you lose another 10 lbs afterwards, your result shouldn't be compromised. Plus, recovering from surgery burns calories. You'll be at goal in no time flat. Woohoo! Very exciting!

I would say.... HECK YA!!!!

I would think the panne would be reduced price because the OR, Anesthesia, and Hospital stay would be covered under your Hysterectemy coverage......... Recover 1 time... EXCITING!

The more I think about it and read your responses, the more I'm leaning toward trying to get the insurance coverage for both procedures at once. We'll see if they see it our way.

DrewsLou--you're right--might as well be in a lot of pain ONCE rather than twice!

And that's why God gave us narcotics.

Wow, I just started a thread about how close to goal we should be before surgery so your thread gave me some answers as well. It looks like (according to your ticker) we are similar in our weight loss journey. I started at 226 and am now 150. I wanted to be at 135 before surgery but just haven't quite got there.

SOunds like most think you should do both surgeries at once. I'll check back on this thread for more responses.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do. I'd probably do both at once. One surgery and one round with the painkillers. Those pills can be physically addicting so the less time on them the better.

Hysterectomy is scheduled for 8/7. I have a consult with the plastic surgeon on 6/22. Let's see what he thinks and, more importantly (unfortunately) what the insurance company thinks.

Till 8/7, I'm going to do everything I can to tone my abdominal muscles and drop my remaining weight.

I went for a fill yesterday and spoke with my lapband surgeon. He thinks I should wait till I'm at goal (15 lbs) for at least 6 months before the panniculectomy. I'm going to leave it in fate's hands. If the insurance approves it, fine. If not, fine also. I was disappointed that he thinks with all my "girlie parts" removed, I'll only be down another 2 lbs or so. I was hoping for 5-8ish.

Interesting point however--he wants me in the night before the surgery for a complete unfill of the band. He says there's too much risk of vomiting after the TAH and doesn't want to risk a slip. I'll go back to him when I'm discharged from the hospital for a refill. (Sounds like a gas station, doesn't it?)

I guess he saw the wild look in my eyes when he said complete unfill. He said, you won't feel like eating anyway, you'll be on liquids. Just choose the low calorie choices.

Oh, boy.

Despite what the lap band surgeon says, I would do both, since you are already out anyway. If you were just looking into PS, I could see where he's coming from, but since someone is in there anyway, I would go for it...l

Also remember that the skin that they remove will take off a few pounds. I was told to expect anywhere from 8-12 pounds of skin to be removed. ~Mandy