Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Surgery Depression

Hi all,

I am set for sleeve surgery on 3/31. I have read many posts about people having regrets and getting depressed after surgery. I already struggle with depression and am concerned about post-surgery depression. I would appreciate any suggestions for things to do pre-surgery or post. Thank you!!!

I completely understand your concerns, I struggle with depression as well. In my personal experience, the best thing for me is to be seeing a therapist during such a big life change. It gives you an outlet for those emotions. I started seeing one 2 weeks ago who specializes in eating disorders because she has a lot of experience with WLS but she is also a therapist for anxiety and depression, she has been a huge help already.

I have had depression for years, waaaayyyyyy before surgery. It has not gotten any worse/better 2 years post-op. I am a little happier overall and my self-esteem is much much higher with the weight loss. But the 2 weeks right after surgery, I was pissed at the world an was ready to fight anyone and everyone - for no reason I can figure out! :wacko:

But, for everything I've gone though, it was sooooooo worth it to be released from the Fat Suit I was trapped in and to realize the dream of being a normal sized person. But you gotta be willing to commit to the necessary changes it will entail. I was a rock bottom before I committed to surgery.

You are stronger than you think. You CAN make BIG changes.
Imagine yourself a year from now. What chances will you regret not taking? What opportunities will you regret having turned down? Certain sacrifices are worth it. I wish upon you the wisdom to know which ones are right.

Hi all,

I am set for sleeve surgery on 3/31. I have read many posts about people having regrets and getting depressed after surgery. I already struggle with depression and am concerned about post-surgery depression. I would appreciate any suggestions for things to do pre-surgery or post. Thank you!!!

I have had depression for years, i did not find that the sleeve worsened it at all.

its major surgery.......but i'm better for it. I don't think about food. I see pizza, burgers

fries on tv.......my reaction, so what. what i do think about, because it has changed (for Me)

my way of thinking. What will I do this summer, what New things will I do with my life.

none of this has to do with food. For the first time in 55 years I have a new way of thinking,

ME FIRST. with saying this, i'm 55 married to the same wonderful guy 32 years, 5 children

25, 27, 27, 28, & 30.... one grandson 17 months, him i want to do more with. i'm the youngest

of 6 still call my parents to see how they are doing. inlaws my father in law ......i call them my mother and father

inlove instead of inlaws because they gave me a wonderful gift , my hubby. I took care of my

father in love for almost 2 years with alzheimers, he went home to be with the Lord a little over 2 years ago.

my mother in love, i had her move in with us. No regrets.

so its BIG when I say it has changed my mindset to ME...... and my new lease on life. Not selfish just putting my

health first. Depression.....it may be there be it seems improved. its the not thinking about food first that

has put my mindset in a different place. Everyone is different oh it 4 weeks today i was sleeved, on dec 31, 2014

down 21lbs. eating and drinking on schedule.

I had depression before the surgery so getting depressed after is just something that happens to me. But it's not any worse than before, the only thing is that I can't turn to food now for comfort. I will either go to the gym or play with my son. Just find something to get yourself moving and your mind off of things.