Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and confused!

Hello All,

I've been a lurker on these boards for awhile now and found them very informative.I decided I really wanted to do the Lap Band procedure so I contacted my PCP who refered me to a Bariatric surgeon,Dr. Loggins in Lewiston ,Maine.I waited nearly 3 months to get in and had my consultation today.Now I'm feeling depressed and wondering if I should move forward with the pre-op requirements.

The consultation started with me watching a 20 minute video all about Gastric Bypass.Nothing was mentioned about Lap Band at all.After the video the Nurse Practitioner who set up the video came back in the room and asked if the video had answered any questions I might have.I told her no actually it didn't since I did not want Gastric Bypass.She kind of blew it off and said that all new patients see the that video and that I could discuss the Lap Band option with Dr.Loggins but since the pre-op requirements were the same for both she was going to set me up for Nutriton classes,a psych evaluation,etc.Then she went through my health history and gave me a physical exam.

Then Dr.Loggins came in and spent about 30 minutes trying to convince me that Gastric Bypass was a better option and threw all kinds of figures and percentages at me.I argued,I got frustrated and then the tears came.The tears must have finally softened him because then he said he would compromise.He said he will not do a Lap band on anyone with a BMI over 50.I am at 53.If I can get my BMI under 50 he will do the procedure.But he still went ahead and orderd all the pre-op testing.

So now I'm wondering if this is normal.Do lap band surgeries really not help people with BMI's over 50? He was so anti Lap band and pro Gastric Bypass.Should I try and find another surgeon? It took me so long to get into see him.I'm feeling more confused and depressed than ever! The only thing I am sure of is that I DO NOT want Gastric Bypass.

Thoughts?

I kind of felt the same, my nutrionist didnt have a clue about the lapband requirements, she kept saying things for the gastric and I would correct her because of what I had read and things I had found out on here. Then my doctor would confirm that I was correct.

I started with a bmi of 55% in Feb, then through the pre op diet requirements I lost 5 pounds in 3 months, did what I had to to get her to say ok, you lost some weight good job and say yes I could be a good candidate. (If I could do it on my own like that then I wouldnt have needed the surgery) Then the 2 week pre-op diet I lost 17 pds. So that really helped. My doctor still had a tough time doing the surgery so much belly fat getting in the way. But I have done great , no complications, no pain, 1 month out today (YAY) and down a total of 40lbs ( but I havent weighed myself in 2 weeks) I decided I would only weigh myself at my doctors appointments )

I have heard that with the band you lose slower so I think they think if we have that high of a bmi we might get discouraged if we dont lose it fast like the bypass. But I can lose it slow as long as I lose, that is something I wasnt able to do before.

I am so glad I went with the band, go with what you feel comfortable with, dont let anyone change your mind, do your homework and figure out what works for you . I am so glad I had it done.

Good Luck

Lost _Secret

Hello,

I'm sorry that today's consult was so frustrating for you. Unfortunately, there are some doctors that are a little closed minded when dealing with their patient's wishes. I am happy that you were able to stand your ground and insist on what YOU wanted.

I would suggest that you do more research on the procedure and other doctors. You may find that there may not be any doctors in your area willing to consider what you want. You might have to search for doctors outside your area. I would also suggest you contact your insurance company and ask what are their requirements for Lap Band and give you a list of doctors under their plan. You might also have to consider whether you're willing to be a self pay.

Whatever you decide, please make sure you feel comfortable with the doctor and ask a lot of questions. I wisk you the best of luck on your journey! You will run into roadblocks but please do not get discouraged.

Hi Maura's Mom

I am sorry you are feeling so discouraged but these folks who have responded to you have given you good advice.....I am from Maine and had my lapband (I too am an adamant "NO BYPASS" kind of person) in Portland with Dr. Roy Cobean from the Bariatric Center at Maine Med. While a "slow loser" I have NO regrets - I LOVE the band and everything you hear about it is true - it's not an easy way out, you MUST follow the "rules" for it to work but I love the tool that it provides me. I eat only about 1/2 of what I did before surgery. In 6 months I have lost about 40 pounds. If I were you, I would ask for a second opinion and COME TO PORTLAND!!!

Ennigmah

Hello Maura,

I will just repeat what has already been said. If this doctor won't listen to your wishes, then perhaps he is not the surgeon for you!!

Search online, find other options in your area. My surgeon is about 1 hour away from my home, but well worth the drive.

I have a couple of friends who drive from Oklahoma to their drs in the Dallas area.

When I first started looking.....I rejected a couple of dr who just didn't meet my needs. You spend to much time, money and personal self not to be happy with your doc.

Be strong and good luck.

When I had my first consult, both the dr. and nurse practioner discussed the band with me. They gave me the statistics and the pitch and said the band was not as "sure". I promised I would research it and I did. But, at the end of the day, I'm a bander and always will be. The thought of bypass doesn't sit well with me at all. I don't think they were being closed-minded or anything, just telling me everything in the interest of full disclosure. I would think that any dr. worth their stuff would do the same. If they had concerns about the band and any legit reasons why you should go with bypass, that's one thing, but it doesn't sound like it.

I think that for every fantastic dr. and office staff who understands the band and us, there are several who are old-school and just don't get it.

Hang in there, though. If you're sure this is what you want and have done all of the research you need to do, then go for it. If this dr. is not the one for you, there are many others out there!

Steph

p.s..I would think the pre-op is about the same. I had psych visit and nutritionist and sleep study.

Hello all,

I have been banded for about a week and I just wanted some feedback on how I should feel right now. I can't really go to my friends because they really don't understand so I figured this would be my best outlet. I think I am drinking too much Water because I am getting gas and bloating in my stomach like crazy, is this normal or do you think something is wrong?