Jump to content
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Single moms post op....

Recommended Posts

I will be sleeved January 13th. I am a single mom. Kids are 13 and 9 so not worried about them. But was wondering if it's necessary to have an adult stay with me after and if so how long should I? Can't wait for surgery though!!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a single mom but I know my 13 yr old daughter was a tremendous help, if I had to I probably would have been just fine with her help. I guess it depends on The maturity of the child. If you do feel like it would be better to have an adult around I would say 2-3 days tops BUT that all depends on how your surgery goes....which will be wonderful I'm sure : )

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll get many different responses about this, but I had my surgery alone and recovered alone. There was a 16 year old in the house in the night, but I set things up before, so that i was able to completely care for myself. I didn't have ave any complications so it was no problem for me. I spent one night and came off pain meds the third day. I just made sure I didn't lift anything over 10lbs, my surgeon's instructions. Best.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just like finediva.

I told my husband to leave after I came out of surgery and he picked me up the next day to take me home.

He was back at work immediately and I had 4 kids at home. 15, 6, 6 and 5.

Oldest watched the younger and I was fine on my own.

I also did not have complications. My gas pains were not bad at all and I was able to drink normally from my first allowed sip the day after surgery.

Same on meds. I used them in the hospital and a few days when I was home and that's it.

I've had other surgeries in the past without complications so I wasn't concerned about this one.

So ... I would say do you have any idea how your body might react to the surgery and how confident are you in your tolerance for pain and discomfort.

I think the kids will be a great help. You won't need much. Clear liquids for several days.

Best to you on this journey.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im a single mom of a 9 year old and I just told her I needed extra help for a few days because I would not be feeling very well. No questions asked and she helped me out so much.. I only needed someone with me to take to me the Hospital and Pick me up that was all.. Good Luck

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im a single mom of a 9 year old and I just told her I needed extra help for a few days because I would not be feeling very well. No questions asked and she helped me out so much.. I only needed someone with me to take to me the Hospital and Pick me up that was all.. Good Luck

Good! That makes me feel good!!!

Edited by crystalmaries

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

@@crystalmaries, it all depends on your journey. I was in the hospital for 2 days. I started walking the first day of surgery. I was okay at home. I walked around the house every hour and I think that helped with my recovery. I walked about 5 - 10 minutes at a time. My husband did not take time off work. I took showers when he was home as a precaution. Inform your kids when you will take showers and ask them to check on you if you are not out by a certain time. That worked for me. Good luck on your journey!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • allwet

      Coffee and Tea drinkers Rejoice
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • CJ.  »  BrendaIsela

      Did you go through with the DS? How are you making out?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • MrsGamgee

      Well, long time no see. 
      It's been a rough couple of weeks. I should have been expecting the other shoe to drop after having it so easy for the first three weeks post op. I was getting my water and protein easily, had no pain, nausea, or vomiting.
      But as soon as the soft foods really started in earnest I started having problems. Pain, foamies, slimeys, vomiting galore. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it. Something that I ate easily yesterday causes pain and vomiting after the first bite today. Sometimes it's my pills, other times they go down easy. I just don't get it. 
      I'm trying to stay positive. I know this is a season in my life, and things will eventually even out. I'm just so tired of being afraid to eat, not knowing what kind of response my body will have. I'm mostly hitting my protein target, thanks in large part to protein shakes (which I hate, but look at as medicine). I missed my water targets by a lot over the weekend, due mostly to feeling awful, which I know is a terrible cycle... throw up, don't feel like drinking anything, get dehydrated, get constipated, feel like crap, repeat. 
      The three-week stall is also still here. I thought I had busted through it, but I've been bouncing between 216-219 for the last two and a half weeks, which is a contributing factor to my mood and frustration level. And add in wee-lings who are going crazy with end of the school year insanity, friends with busy schedules who I haven't been able to see in weeks, and I'm an unhappy girl. 
      Things will turn around. I know they will. Just not feeling it at this moment. 
      · 7 replies
      1. ms.sss

        hope things get better with the slowing down and the water-prioritizing. keep us posted :1007_hearts:

        small tip: I used the timer on my watch religiously between bites in the early days (actually I still do, but I'm a lot less rigid about it now), it really helped keep the foamies/slimies/pain/barfing at bay by helping me slow down.

      2. FluffyChix

        Oh wow. Just read of your struggles! So sorry to hear it hon! ((hugs)) It's no fun when the stalls hit, makes bearing other parts of this journey really tough. Added to the fact that most of us experience mood swings/sadness that is usually transitory for most of us. But it still just makes it that much harder.

        I promise the stall will break. If that helps? ((hugs))

        Also, maybe concentrate on upping your water and hitting it consistently? The reason I say that is cuz it will make eating that much easier/pleasant. And the up side to that is with every real meal you have, you're training your tool to accept solid foods again. And being well hydrated makes your pouch less "tricky" and finicky. You know?

        Try varying the temperature of the fluids you drink. I remember cold water was not my friend. I did better on room temp or warm liquids.

        Also, the protein drinks may be contributing a little to your stall. I know I lost better after I really reduced them to very little. I'm very IR, and whey protein isolate is very insulinogenic.

        Hang in there. I promise, in 2-3 weeks, things will feel so much better!!

      3. MrsGamgee

        Thanks @FluffyChix! I know the stall will break, it has to eventually given I'm only consuming 700ish calories a day and I am trying to be active every day. I confess it's hard to be motivated to go for a walk though when I feel like crap.

        Cold water seems to be better for me right now... icy anything makes my tummy happy. It's when my water gets to room temp that it is harder to get down. But I am committed to getting my water in. It's so funny, before surgery I never had a problem with water. Today I decided that I won't count my 'other fluids' as part of my water total... they have to be over and above my target.

        I'm looking forward to lowering my reliance on the shakes. I really don't like them. I got clearance with my RD to cut back on them, provided I can hit at least 80g of protein without them. But I haven't been able to manage that just yet. I'm hoping in the next few weeks, provided I can get real foods to go down and stay down.

        Thanks for the encouragement!

      4. FluffyChix

        80 grams without protein shakes at your stage feels very ambitious IMHO? Are you sure she didn't mean 80g including protein drinks and food sources?

        We all heal so uniquely! :( Don't rush advancing. I know it's hard not to, but your tum will heal easier if you just listen to it and what it will and won't allow for the day.

        Gosh I so get the motivation of the scale!!! ((hugs)) With one reading I can determine my mood for the day. LOL. Then I wait a bit and have a nice poop. ;) haha Mood restored. ;) I'm ever just one solid poop away from a good mood. hehe

      5. MrsGamgee

        She was pretty clear... I asked about cutting back on them last week and I'm guessing she wanted to encourage me to continue with the protein shakes without actually saying so. Making it my decision. I have 2 shakes a day, plus some protein powder in my breakfast, so I'm hoping to maybe drop one shake a day in a couple of weeks. I'm really not into the lack of satisfaction they provide for the calories they take up in my daily totals.

        I *know* that this is just a step on the road. I need to put on my big girl undies and deal with it. And I need to really learn to listen to my body and not push too far too fast.

      6. View All Replies
    • dmadms  »  ARMoma45

      I saw the post where you were denied the first time because you lost to much weight.  How much did you lose?  I lost 1 # my 2nd month and 6# my third month and scared to death I have screwed up.  
      · 1 reply
      1. ARMoma45

        I lost 11% of my body weight and they wanted me to fail to lose 10%. I even called the insurance company and asked them to clarify because the wording was confusing. I didn't know if they wanted me to lose the 10% or fail to lose the 10%. I was told to lose 10% so I did and apparently the person that I spoke to wasn't correct. But also this was in December and my company was scheduled to change to a different division of BCBS after the first of the year. So that probably played more into the denial than anything.

        I continued my monthly visits and they clearly showed that I plateaued about month 5/6 and began to regain. I originally lost from 333 to 298 and regained back up to 330 but have now lost back down to 318.

    • allwet

      · 1 reply
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        As a tea-a-holic, I'm happy to hear this. Thanks!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...