Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Credit cards and hiccups.

I had tried to use my credit card this weekend to buy some dried fruit stuff that Wasabubblebutt recommended. I got a call from the company this afternoon, telling me that my card had been declined (I was able to use a different card, though). I looked at my account online, and lo-and-behold, what do I see? Available credit - $0.00. So, I call them up. After 45 minutes on hold, I talk to a rep for 2 minutes. Apparently my online fax company got hacked. Instead of letting me know, they notify the Visa people, who put holds on all the Visa accounts that were used at the site. So now, I have to wait until I get another card. I'm not pissed because they put a hold on my account, I'm pissed because they didn't notify me of it sooner. I had to find out after my card was declined. :eek:

On a similar pissed-off note, I have hiccups. A friend and I ate lunch at Olive Garden after we spent the morning looking for birds. On the drive back, I got hiccups, and they haven't gone away yet. I have horribly embarassing hiccups, too. Loud and squeaky.

I had tried to use my credit card this weekend to buy some dried fruit stuff that Wasabubblebutt recommended. I got a call from the company this afternoon, telling me that my card had been declined (I was able to use a different card, though). I looked at my account online, and lo-and-behold, what do I see? Available credit - $0.00. So, I call them up. After 45 minutes on hold, I talk to a rep for 2 minutes. Apparently my online fax company got hacked. Instead of letting me know, they notify the Visa people, who put holds on all the Visa accounts that were used at the site. So now, I have to wait until I get another card. I'm not pissed because they put a hold on my account, I'm pissed because they didn't notify me of it sooner. I had to find out after my card was declined. :eek:

On a similar pissed-off note, I have hiccups. A friend and I ate lunch at Olive Garden after we spent the morning looking for birds. On the drive back, I got hiccups, and they haven't gone away yet. I have horribly embarassing hiccups, too. Loud and squeaky.

Monday sucks. Tuesday might be better.

I just read an article that olives are suppose to cure the hiccups, if you try it, let me know if it works!
I'd rather not, thanks. Olives are disgusting (other than yummy extra virgin olive oil, that is). :eek:

Monday sucks. Tuesday might be better.

Great minds think alike! :clap2:

Laurend, you and my husband have the same feelings about olives. Once in a while I'll have to buy an assortment just so I'll get some--the really yucky, bitter, slimy ones are my favorites. :eek:

I can't stand olives. Never could. The mere sight of a dirty martini is enough to gross me out.

Ok, on the topic of credit cards. I don't use 'em unless I get some kind of special discount or I'm taking advantage of Discover's cashback aware (you can make some nice money with that card) so I can only relate to my debit card. When we opened this acct, we told them "no spending limit on the debit card." We'd learned from our past acct that most banks impose a per transaction AND per day spending cap on debit cards, and didn't want to deal with that again. Sp after spending seriously about 6 hours in a store that's an hour way, picking out two bedroom suites of furntiure, beds, headboard/footboard, a couch/loveseat combo, lamps, etc. -- my card was declined. It didn't dawn on me that it could be due to the limit, so that never entered my mind. We weren't supposed to have a limit. I called the bank, they verified sufficient funds. So what's the problem? We don't know, we'll call you back. (Meanwhile I'm telling the store "they're looking into it" and I know they're thinking Uh huh, just swallow your pride and charge it). Finally they get back with me, about an hour later, and say that we were trying to exceed the daily cap on the card. So I tell her we weren't supposed to have one, and she says "All cards have one, they just raised yours higher." :faint:

I now carry checks with me, to use in just such a situation.

I've also had my debit card decline (once in the middle of holiday shopping, talk about catching people at their worst) for "over limit." Over limit?? It's a DEBIT card! I tell the cashier to try again as credit, she does, it declines, she once again announces, "IT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY. DID YOU PAY YOUR BILL?" I tried to just get $ out of the ATM, transaction declined for "insufficient funds," which I KNOW was BS. Called the bank. "Oh, sorry, our lines are down and no one can connect. That causes cards to decline for "insufficient funds." "Well it's xmas eve and I'm buying all my last minute presents, when can I expect the lines to be back up?" "Two or three days." The cashier was quite put out and in much disbelief when I asked her to put my things to the side and I'd be right back with a check. :faint:

One time quite a few years ago my credit card was declined.

I was going to our office Christmas dinner at a casual restaurant. I wasn't working that day so I went by bus with my baby in his stroller. It was kind of a cold and blustery night so I wore on of my older warmer coats, not the most attractive thing.

I had a little way to walk after I disembarked from the bus and all the stores were about to close. I nipped into Marks and Spencers to get a couple of their delicious English Christmas puddings. As Christmas puddings go, they were quite expensive so I used my credit card. The young bimbo at the till ran it through and told me that it was declined. Impossible I say, please try again! Again she told me it was declined. So I got out my American Express Card that we used for the business. I know that you can get AE cards now that you can carry a balance on, but back then they had to be paid right off every month. There was no way that this could be declined. But she said it was.

I was quite worried because I had intended to pay for the whole dinner on my Visa and I didn't want to suffer the embarrassment of having it declined in front of everyone.

So I hoofed it over to the bank and withdrew a hefty wad of cash from the ATM before I went to the restaurant.

After the meal I went over to the counter to pay discreetly rather than do it at the table. The server happened to be someone I knew, so I told her what had happened and asked her to run my card through. It was accepted.

She told me that retailers have the ability to enter something to make the machine decline the card if they're at all suspicious of the cardholder.

So I think the young woman at the store made a judgement about me, an obese and wind bedraggled mother in an old coat with a Dr. in front of her name on the card and decided it couldn't be so.

I was so angry. I should have gone and raised all holy hell, but I was so busy in those days and the time passed.

Great minds think alike! :clap2:

Laurend, you and my husband have the same feelings about olives. Once in a while I'll have to buy an assortment just so I'll get some--the really yucky, bitter, slimy ones are my favorites. :(

Omigawd, I have always been nuts about olives and dill pickles. When I was a little kid I often used to spend my candy money on jars of olives and dill pickles. I particularly liked the green ones stuffed with red pimientos. I still have a real salt tooth. And I this is how I became fat; it was through eating carbs, fats, and far too much salt.:tired

Green - when I was a kid (quite a skinny one to boot) instead of sneaking candy or sweets, I would sneak rock salt out of the bag my parents kept in the pantry for making ice cream. We lived near the community baseball center, so I would sneak a handful into my pocket and then go sit on the bleachers, watch baseball, and eat salt. Wtf?

Dill pickles are a weakness too. REAL, true, dill pickles. Not Kosher Dill. Not chips. Sour dills will do! But a good, homemade dill pickle - few things in life are better. WHen I was a kid, for something to do my parents and I would go to this big swapmeet on Saturdays, and just walk around. There was always this guy there selling his homemade pickles out of big cauldrons. When I think of them, I almost get a tear in my eye.

I love picke & mayo sammiches.

Still can't stomach olives, regardless of color or context. There are a few flavors that my mouth simply rejects. Olives are one. Horseradish is another.

I LOVE olives. i esp love blue cheese stuffed olives. drop two in a dirty vodka martini. about 5 of those and i am good for the night.
Oh my god, you're going to make me vomit all over my keyboard. Nothing about that was appetizing. Blue cheese? Yack. Olives? Ick. Vodka martini? Double ick. That makes me gag just thinking about it.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE salt. I'd much rather eat salty stuff than sweet stuff. But there is just something about olives that is completely disgusting to me. I don't even like the smell of them.

my husband is like that. he won't get near me if i have olive breath. but those who like olives usually love olives. and when you drink with olives, you find there are creative things that can be done. they have blue cheese stuffed olives, olives stuffed with almonds, olives and pimentos, olives and other sorts of cheese. put into a drink, it really adds to the flavor. :( plus it is a great tool for flirting. hehehe