Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hysterectomy after lapband

I was curious if anyone has has a hysterectomy after getting the band? Are there precautions that I need to take? Do I need to have an unfill? I have 4 cc and I believe that I am in my green zone. I had my band placed may 27, 2014 and have been able to loose nearly 75 lbs. I am afraid that if I get an unfill I will start to gain.

I actually just had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy on Tuesday. I have 8.25 cc in a 10 cc band. I did NOT have an unfill. I always have severe nausea and vomiting post-anesthesia so that was my main concern. I spoke with my bariatric surgeon at length prior to having this surgery. He suggested that, as long as I wasn't too tight, that I leave the Fluid in my band. He wrote me an Rx for a scopolamine patch and instructed me to put it on the night before surgery. I had also spoken with the gyne surgeon who performed the hysterectomy and explained to him how important it was that any nausea and vomiting be controlled. He started me on scheduled doses of reglan pre-op. We also spoke with anesthesia and, since they were aware, they also medicated me with steroids and anti-emetics in the OR. These guys did a great job planning my care and I had NO issues with nausea or vomiting. I did notice my band being just a wee bit tighter for a day or two but i was able to tolerate liquids and soft foods okay so I stuck with things like Jello, greek yogurt, and mushies for a couple of days. I'm back to being able to eat like I was pre-surgery now and no issues. Good luck to you!

Hi. I had my lap-band in April, 2012. Unfortunately I then had to have a full hysterectomy in July, 2013. To be honest it was stressful to explain the band to my surgeon...sounds stupid but he didn't think I really needed it. Oh boy! Did I need it! After the surgery I was fine. In fact I had to do liquids a few days after my hysterectomy and since I was used to it it made things easier. My recovery from my hysterectomy was tough because I am a teacher and I felt like it really ruined my summer. I wish I had done it in the winter but I could not wait. Best of luck to you!!

Sorry forgot to tell you....no I never went for a unfill. I was fine with the band.