Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experiences with IUI?

My husband and I started trying for a baby around early June but have not had success. We've both had fertility tests and the doctors have determined there's nothing wrong with either of us (his swimmers and healthy and abundant, and I don't have any issues with my ovaries/Fallopian tubes, etc).

We're seriously considering IUI and have an appointment at a fertility clinic next week. Have any of you all done an IUI before? I've been researching it on the internet and it sounds like the woman has to take hormones in the form of either a shot or pills which sounds scary. When I hear about taking hormones my first thought (of course) is: "Is this going to make me gain weight?" I also wonder if while I'm on hormones will it feel like an extended PMS (ie: sore breasts, mood swings, cramps, etc).

Our insurance provider has reassured us that they cover 50% of all costs which makes me wonder, about how much do these things typically run? I'm also wondering do you have to pay each time you're inseminated?

Like let's say they inseminated me in December, but I don't get pregnant. Do they attempt to inseminate me again in January, and if so, do I have to pay again?

Hi Comfy!

I am still post op, getting sleeved Oct 15, but my husband and I were going through fertility treatments when we decided to stop and lose weight and see if that helps before we do anymore treatments. With IUI you have options. Some women just have a normal cycle but he monitored throughout to make sure you follicles are growing and then you will do the insemination, no drugs or hormones. Some women do meds like clomid to help Jumpstart their ovaries. And some, like myself, do clomid, some injectible meds tto increase growth and then do ovidrel which helps you actually ovulate and release the egg. So it is really up to you and how much intervention you need. As far as cost, I live in Texas and our insurance would not cover anything. So we were completely out of pocket. You have to pay each treatment whether it takes or not. Ours cost, with meds about $2000/treatment and that's not including lab work they draw. Obviously each facility is different and where you live would affect cost, but I think that's a pretty accurate round about estimate.

The hormones do make you feel like you have PMS. Actually more like you are pregnant. I wasn't too b**chy, just more emotional over things. The whole process really wears on you. Infertility sucks!

Let me know if you have more questions! Good luck! We have been trying for 5 years so I understand the struggle!

Infertility does indeed suck especially when you see so many people around you who have kids that don't even want them. I'm finding myself starting to get jealous of other people who have children. When I hear someone complain about an unexpected/unwanted pregnancy, it hurts my heart a little because I want one so badly.

I sincerely hope that the treatments work for you and your husband.

Thank you for answering my question. I'm hoping that I don't have to take too many hormones because my own hormones make me overemotional during my period. I remember reading a Dr. Seuss book to my class and I had to keep turning away because it was making me tear up. Yikes!

Anyway your answer was extremely helpful. The ones I've been reading online are more about how the actual process is done (ie: wash the sperm, put in a cathader to inseminate you) but not a lot about the other stuff. THanks too for offering to let me message you. After my first appointment I will likely take you up on that offer with some additional questions!

Edited by Comfy_Blue

You are more than welcome! Yes please do keep me updated. Having someone else to vent to about these things has been a lifesaver. People mean well, but when they say "Just don't stress and it will happen" it doesn't help the situation! So having someone who gets it, helps a lot. :) Good luck!

I've had numerous fertility treatments for years trying to get pregnant. We started out with IUI Intrauterine insemination. An IUI in my opinion wasn't really invasive and our insurance covered 3 attempts. My husband needed to take clomid because his sperm count and motility was low. I don't think that you need to take many hormones with IUI because they are simply taking the sperm and putting by the egg so that they can fertilize themselves. My husband and I moved into IVF InVitro Fertilization after several miscarriages with IUI. With the IVF they took my husbands sperm and injected it into my eggs.With IVF there is definitely a lot of hormones involved. After a miscarriage with IVF they determined that my eggs were bad. We ended up doing IVF with donor eggs and had twins. There were still many hormones injections with the IVF with donor eggs but not as many for me since they weren't using my eggs.